If you didn't choose Verizon...

Last response: in Network Providers
February 9, 2005 7:10:07 PM

....who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.

Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

More about : choose verizon

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 7:10:08 PM

clifto wrote:
> ...who would you choose for cell service?

Really depends on the area. In Chicago, I've heard good things about US
Cellular. Here in Apple Valley, I use Sprint.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 7:10:08 PM

clifto wrote:

> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

Your decision on which carrier to use should be primarily based
on coverage, not "minutes," phones, accessories, etc.

Notan
February 9, 2005 7:32:25 PM

It should be based on coverage in your area. For me, the phone must work
well at my home, office ,and all other locations that I regularly travel to.

-mij

> clifto wrote:
>>
>> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
>> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
>> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
>> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
>> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>>
>> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
>> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
>> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
>> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.
>
> Your decision on which carrier to use should be primarily based
> on coverage, not "minutes," phones, accessories, etc.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:21:19 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:10:07 -0600, clifto <clifto@clifto.com> wrote:

>...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
>I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
>scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
>that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
>loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
>Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
>phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
>per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
>through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

It all depends.

The things I look for in a carrier are:

1) Coverage where I need it
2) Best rates for the services offered

I'm not into the phones and stuff myself. I have a middle of the road
voice only phone (well, it can do data but I don't use it for that
purpose). No camera phone, no wireless web. Just bare bones.

If Verizon was a PCS carrier (1900 MHz) band, I would probably not
choose them. That's one of the reasons I personally don't use Sprint.
Cingular is about the only other carrier that's half decent where I
live (they're the 800 MHz "A" carrier, Verizon is the 800 MHz "B"
carrier). In rural areas, they just don't have the coverage. They need
more towers to counteract the higher frequency (the higher the
frequency, the smaller the coverage for the same power). Nothing
against GSM or TDMA, its just that if I can't use the phone, why
bother having it?

I'd stay away from national carriers T-Mobile, Nextel and regional
carriers Suncom and nTelos because their coverage areas are small and
they're PCS 1900 MHz carriers.

If Alltel were offered, I would choose them. They have most of the
same roaming agreements as Verizon (National Freedom vs. America's
Choice). Overall a pretty darn good system.

US Cellular is OK, but only as a 800 MHz carrier. Not as good as
Verizon or Alltel on coverage though.

But as always, make sure the carrier does what you want them to do,
for the features you want, for the price you're willing to pay.

Dave
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:21:20 PM

1900 MHz is not a problem if it is well deployed. I understand that more
cell sites at 1900 MHz are needed than at 800 MHZ to provide the same level
of coverage since 1900 MHz does not penetrate building as well. Sprint seems
to work very well in SoCal. I recently ditched Verizon and switched to
Sprint because the Verizon coverage at my home was very poor and since I
have a home office, I require my phone to work well when I am at home.
-mij

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:10:07 -0600, clifto <clifto@clifto.com> wrote:
>
>>...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
>>I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
>>scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
>>that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
>>loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>>
>>Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
>>phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
>>per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
>>through hoops, don't need superfast yet.
>
> It all depends.
>
> The things I look for in a carrier are:
>
> 1) Coverage where I need it
> 2) Best rates for the services offered
>
> I'm not into the phones and stuff myself. I have a middle of the road
> voice only phone (well, it can do data but I don't use it for that
> purpose). No camera phone, no wireless web. Just bare bones.
>
> If Verizon was a PCS carrier (1900 MHz) band, I would probably not
> choose them. That's one of the reasons I personally don't use Sprint.
> Cingular is about the only other carrier that's half decent where I
> live (they're the 800 MHz "A" carrier, Verizon is the 800 MHz "B"
> carrier). In rural areas, they just don't have the coverage. They need
> more towers to counteract the higher frequency (the higher the
> frequency, the smaller the coverage for the same power). Nothing
> against GSM or TDMA, its just that if I can't use the phone, why
> bother having it?
>
> I'd stay away from national carriers T-Mobile, Nextel and regional
> carriers Suncom and nTelos because their coverage areas are small and
> they're PCS 1900 MHz carriers.
>
> If Alltel were offered, I would choose them. They have most of the
> same roaming agreements as Verizon (National Freedom vs. America's
> Choice). Overall a pretty darn good system.
>
> US Cellular is OK, but only as a 800 MHz carrier. Not as good as
> Verizon or Alltel on coverage though.
>
> But as always, make sure the carrier does what you want them to do,
> for the features you want, for the price you're willing to pay.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:41:22 AM

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> It should be based on coverage in your area. For me, the phone must work
> well at my home, office ,and all other locations that I regularly travel
> to.
>
> -mij

I completely agree. If Cingular has coverage wherever you go then more
power to you. I just left Cingular because they have very poor coverage
from middle to East Tennessee. If they didn't roam along the interstate off
of T-Mobile towers they wouldn't have coverage a lot of the way between
Nashville to Knoxville. This is completely ridiculous IMO. Cingular used
to be Bellsouth Mobility and you would think that coverage here in the South
East would have been very good. It isn't and that's exactly why I left
Cingular. I actually was on a special plan "GAIT" that Cingular offers that
required you to use 1 of 2 older model phones that had non-color displays.
Those phones would let you use GSM, TDMA, or Analog and did have pretty good
coverage but, you are forced to use an antiquated phone and pay more than it
costs with my new Verizon plans with almost identical coverage. Cingular in
no way offered to reduce their price of that GAIT plan and thus lost my $80
a month. If they had more modern phones to use with their GAIT plan or
offered those plans for less money then I would have stayed with Cingular.
I used to have ADSL through Bellsouth and could have had my cell phone, home
phone, and ADSL bills all combined but, they screwed up their internet
routing me through New Orleans instead of Atlanta like it used to be so my
ping was more than doubled overnight and I went to better ADSL with another
ISP through Bellsouth's own copper lines. So all I have left is my home
phone through Bellsouth and I may drop that next. I don't know why Cingular
bought AT&T since they both have almost the identical coverage areas. They
may have more customers now but, still the same coverage in my area at
least. They need to offer better coverage period. I had over 3,000
rollover minutes on Cingular plan when I left and don't care since I
couldn't use Cingular in most of the places I wanted to go around my area.
If Cingular did have coverage it was often Analog while my friend who had
Verizon was all digital and high signal and I had scratchy Analog with
Cingular on the high priced GAIT plan. I like the spiffy GSM phones that
can be used with Cingular but, I'd rather be able to use my phone where I
want to instead of looking at a spiffy phone with no signal. My new
VX6100's are feature packed and the only thing I miss with my old GSM phones
was blue tooth. No biggie since I just bought a USB data cable for my
Verizon phones off Ebay for under $20.

Ben
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:09:06 AM

Notan wrote:
> clifto wrote:
>> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans,
>
> Your decision on which carrier to use should be primarily based
> on coverage, not "minutes," phones, accessories, etc.

Sorry, wasn't clear. When I mentioned liking AC-type plans, I was implying
that I have (occasional) need for widespread coverage. I get the impression
that T-Mobile is mainly for people who are always in large cities.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
February 10, 2005 3:32:40 AM

I was very happy with Verizon but switched to Cingular last month. The
reason was that I wanted a Treo 600 (PDA-cell phone combo) without
paying for a data plan. I didn't want to e-mail and surf the web, I was
just tied of carrying a cell phone AND a PDA. Verizon would not
accomodate me, Cingular did. The other advantage for me is that Verizon
didn't work for me in my new office but Cingular does. Add rollover
minutes and I am very happy. Since you don't use all your minutes, you
lose them on Verizon, not on Cingular. Check their website for rate plans.

I you are otherwise happy with Verizon do want I did. Tell them that the
only marketing to you is by snail mail. No phone calls unless there is a
problem with the account. I did that with both Verizon and Verizon
Wireless and I don't get calls.

clifto wrote:

> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

February 10, 2005 3:32:41 AM

If I could change anything about my Verizon contact it would be the
unlimited minutes starting at 9:01 PM.

I wish it was earlier, say... 7:01pm, even 8:01.

Other than that I'd stay with them.

Hunter
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:32:42 AM

Hunter wrote:
> If I could change anything about my Verizon contact it would be the
> unlimited minutes starting at 9:01 PM.
>
> I wish it was earlier, say... 7:01pm, even 8:01.

This is another reason I'm tempted to look elsewhere. US Cellular starts
nights at 7 PM.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
February 10, 2005 3:40:05 AM

clifto wrote:
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

If you're peeved about the abuse of the relationship, let them know. Me
personally, I have caller ID on my lines, and when it shows unknown, as
most slimy sellusomething folks do, I just dont pick up.

Brian
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:55:46 AM

I believe you can tell them when they call next time to "please remove me
from your calling list". If they do not, then they are in trouble with the
FCC.
Tim
"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.
>
> --
>
> In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
February 10, 2005 3:55:47 AM

The FCC calling list removal doesn't apply if you have an existing
relationship with a company. What does apply is "If you call me again I am
switching companies and will no longer do business with you." Works every
time.

"slim stick" <tim.2.pender.xspamz@verizon.net.not> wrote in message
>I believe you can tell them when they call next time to "please remove me
> from your calling list". If they do not, then they are in trouble with the
> FCC.
> Tim
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:12:01 AM

In another couple of years it's going to be two companies competing
for your business. Viva la monopoly.
February 10, 2005 10:53:13 AM

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.

The "loophole" also has a door. All you need to do is to inform them that
you do not wish to be contacted unless it is specifically related to your
account with no sort of sales activity.

I think we have been contacted at least once by everyone we buy services
from. I certainly wouldn't use that as a reason to stop doing business with
any of them because it is a lawful activity. Now if they were obnoxious and
kept calling I would make sure it cost them whatever fines are applicable
and then be a former customer.

> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.
>
> --
>
> In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:54:18 PM

"clifto" <

| ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
| I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
| scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
| that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
| loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
|
| Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
| phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
| per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
| through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

Regardless of an existing business relationship if you request that a
business not call they are prohibited by law from calling. I had the
problem (with VZN no less) and filed a complaint. Took less than a week and
I received a letter of apology and no more phone calls.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:34:31 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> 1900 MHz is not a problem if it is well deployed.

Uh, guys... and ladies...

Verizon IS 1900 MHz-only in certain areas (all of Florida, parts of Texas and
IIRC, parts of Ohio, for example) and has 1900 MHz overlays in many more areas.

**SJ "which is why I always carried a tri-mode phone on VZ :) " S

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:25:54 PM

clifto wrote:

> Sorry, wasn't clear. When I mentioned liking AC-type plans, I was implying
> that I have (occasional) need for widespread coverage. I get the impression
> that T-Mobile is mainly for people who are always in large cities.

In general, yes, although when they launched in my hometown in 2001/02 they
launched with a huge coverage area.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:34:44 PM

clifto said the following on 2/9/2005 2:10 PM:
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.

Say, put me on your do-not-call list. Then it will stop. Doesn't
matter what the relationship. Then if they call you can sue them in
small claims for $500. But you have to document things.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:41:24 PM

Although I am with SBC not BS, my dsl with someone else will not work
if I drop my SBC service.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:47:19 PM

Brian wrote:
> clifto wrote:
>> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
>> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
>> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number
>
> If you're peeved about the abuse of the relationship, let them know. Me
> personally, I have caller ID on my lines, and when it shows unknown, as
> most slimy sellusomething folks do, I just dont pick up.

Ditto. Their number shows, and they just blather their ad into the
answering machine when I don't pick up.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:52:03 PM

George wrote:
> I think we have been contacted at least once by everyone we buy services
> from. I certainly wouldn't use that as a reason to stop doing business with
> any of them because it is a lawful activity. Now if they were obnoxious and
> kept calling I would make sure it cost them whatever fines are applicable
> and then be a former customer.

It's lawful to fart in a crowded elevator. That doesn't mean I have to
ride in the same elevator with the fartiste ever again.

Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
February 10, 2005 4:17:01 PM

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.

I can't offer opinions on which carrier to use, but I can point you to
Verizon's published Privacy Policy, wherein they promise not to telemarket
to you if you notify them that those calls are unwelcome. It is true that
the business relationship clause exempts them from liability under the Do
Not Call law, but Verizon is pretty good about honoring customer requests to
leave them alone.

Check their website or call customer service--you should be able to resolve
that issue fairly easily.
February 10, 2005 5:30:22 PM

> Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
> and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.

All you need to do is tell them not to call. I have done it and it works.
VZW is not unique in calling. I think every one who we have a business
relationship has called and very politely agreed not to call again when
asked.

> --
>
> In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:03:33 PM

Begin clifto quote:

; ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
; I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
; scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
; that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
; loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.

I don't consider it a loophole, it's a legitimate function for
businesses that you have an ongoing relation ship to be able to legally
contact you. If you do not want them to, then tell them to take you
off their telemarketing list(s). If they refuse to do that, then you
may have a legitimate complaint to take to your state's Attorney
General's office.

To answer your actual question, in Eastern Massachusetts, I'd go with
Cingular if I were to switch from Verizon Wireless.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Take her to the Pit! Go, Big-booty. Use more honey! Find out what she
knows." (Lord John Whorfin, "Buckaroo Banzai")
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:10:13 PM

Begin Reggie Dunbar quote:

; In another couple of years it's going to be two companies competing
; for your business. Viva la monopoly.

Which is what it used to be in each market back in the analog days.
The two were the A and B, where A was generally the local landline
phone company, or owned by it, and B was the competitor. Around here,
that was NYNEX (then Bell Atlantic, now Verizon) and CellularOne (now
Cingular).

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real
men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha
Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."
(HHGTTG, Douglas Adams)
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:17:11 PM

Begin Dave quote:

; I was very happy with Verizon but switched to Cingular last month. The
; reason was that I wanted a Treo 600 (PDA-cell phone combo) without
; paying for a data plan. I didn't want to e-mail and surf the web, I was
; just tied of carrying a cell phone AND a PDA. Verizon would not
; accomodate me, Cingular did. The other advantage for me is that Verizon

I use the Kyocera 7135 smartphone (the Treo was not yet available via
VZW), and I have had no problems using it for voice and data. At
first, I had to use a National Access rate plan to get both without
paying double, but over last Summer I was able to switch to an Americas
Choice plan and not loose my data-by-the-minute use.

Like you, I got the smartphone because I was tired of carrying a phone
and a PDA. I use the online/network capabilities occasionally, since
they're there, but I think the most I've ever used was 30 minutes in
data mode one month.

My home service area is Eastern Massachusetts.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I merely note, if you want to catch something, running after it isn't
always the best way." (Miles Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "The
Mountains of Mourning"])
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:44:51 PM

Begin clifto quote:

; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
; and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.

Did you ask them to stop?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"You can check your anatomy all you want, and even though there may be
normal variation, when it comes right down to it, this far inside the
head it all looks the same. No, no, no, don't tug on that. You never
know what it might be attached to." (Buckaroo Banzai, "Buckaroo
Banzai")
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:36:44 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:34:31 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> 1900 MHz is not a problem if it is well deployed.
>
>Uh, guys... and ladies...
>
>Verizon IS 1900 MHz-only in certain areas (all of Florida, parts of Texas and
>IIRC, parts of Ohio, for example) and has 1900 MHz overlays in many more areas.

Yes, I FULLY understand that, Steve. Where I live and in most parts of
the country the BASE system is 800 MHz. 1900 MHz is for overflow in
metro DC area (though where I live they don't have a 1900 MHz license,
or if they do they're not using it.. yet)

The only area that I've used VZW in 1900 MHz PCS only band is on the
Alambama and Mississippi Gulf Coast (Pascagoula/Biloxi/Mobile). The
reception was HORRIBLE! Fortunately Alltel uses the 800 MHz band is
(or was when I was there last summer) an Extended Network partner, so
calls went through quite well.

A note for your favorite Sprint PCS - the hotel I stayed at was right
next to a SPCS tower. It too was on Extended Network (again, at least
at the time). Since then they've added Cellular South to AC. I think
there were something like 4 CDMA networks the phone could use, either
native VZW or Extended Network. Nice to know you have choices!

Dave
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:46:16 PM

Assuming you are replying to Ben's comment about dropping his landline and
keeping DSL... you need a landline for DSL, but I was told that you can
switch to the vacation plan. It's about $15 a month.

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Although I am with SBC not BS, my dsl with someone else will not work if I
> drop my SBC service.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:09:34 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:41:24 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Although I am with SBC not BS, my dsl with someone else will not work
>if I drop my SBC service.

There's a few types of DSL - sDSL is not dependant on a POTS line.
sDSL is the same speed up and down, and therefore more expensive, but
doesn't rely on the POTS line.
February 11, 2005 2:09:53 PM

George wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote...
>> Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
>> and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.
>
> All you need to do is tell them not to call. I have done it and it works.
> VZW is not unique in calling. I think every one who we have a business
> relationship has called and very politely agreed not to call again when
> asked.

Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:39:50 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Begin clifto quote:
> ; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
> ; and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.
>
> Did you ask them to stop?

Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 3:06:53 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Although I am with SBC not BS, my dsl with someone else will not work if I
> drop my SBC service.

That's why I still have BS for my home phone. I have a couple of cable
internet providers available to me but, currently their ping is too high to
play games very well so that is why I'm holding out with ADSL. If the
newest cable company available to me gets their ping straightened out I'll
likely switch to them and then port my home phone number over to my wife's
Verizon wireless number. No wired home phone at all.

Ben
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:58:44 PM

Begin clifto quote:

;
; Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
; exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
; four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
; companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
; telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.

No, not the national/state do not call list. Tell VERIZON to take you
off their list. The legislated DNC list only applies to companies you
do not already have a business relationship with. Since you have one
with Verizon, they are legally and legitimately exempt. So tell them
directly you do not want telemarketing calls from them.

Is it really that difficult a concept to understand?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Emilio Lizardo. Wasn't he on TV once?" "You're thinking of Mr.
Wizard." "Emilio Lizardo is a top scientist, dumbkopf." "So was Mr.
Wizard." (Perfect Tommy, Buckaroo Banzai and Reno, "Buckaroo Banzai")
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:03:39 PM

Begin clifto quote:

; Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
; > Begin clifto quote:
; > ; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's obnoxious,
; > ; and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.
; >
; > Did you ask them to stop?
;
; Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?

I'm not you, so I do not know. But your taking offence at their legal
and legitimate behavior is unfounded and irrational, and your apparent
refusal to follow the advice given to take a simple step to correct the
problem is perplexing.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

[O'Neill awakens in the infirmary and tries to leave his bed] "Doctor
Fraiser expressed her conviction that you still require bed rest."
[O'Neill gets out anyway and promptly falls down] "Doctor Fraiser is
usually right in such matters." - Teal'c, SG1
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:03:40 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Begin clifto quote:
>
> ; Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> ; > Begin clifto quote:
> ; > ; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did
> this, so it's obnoxious, ; > ; and that's why I'm
> discussing becoming a former customer. ; >
> ; > Did you ask them to stop?
> ;
> ; Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended
> at that time?
>
> I'm not you, so I do not know. But your taking offence
> at their legal
> and legitimate behavior is unfounded and irrational, and
> your apparent refusal to follow the advice given to take
> a simple step to correct the problem is perplexing.

Not really... that was a rehtorical observation, right?

-Quick
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:59:40 PM

clifto wrote:
| Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
|| Begin clifto quote:
|| ; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's
|| obnoxious, ; and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former
|| customer.
|| Did you ask them to stop?
|
| Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?

Is your life so empty that you have to obsess over this trifle
endlessly?.....:)

You've had measured and reasoned responses politely offered by rational
people - but it appears that you just "like" taking offense when none was
offered......

PC
February 11, 2005 9:03:35 PM

> George wrote:
> > "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote...
> >> Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's
obnoxious,
> >> and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.
> >
> > All you need to do is tell them not to call. I have done it and it
works.
> > VZW is not unique in calling. I think every one who we have a business
> > relationship has called and very politely agreed not to call again when
> > asked.
>
> Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
> exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
> four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
> companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
> telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.
>
> --
You really need to reread what everyone has been telling you. The do not
call list specifically *allows* a business that has a relationship with you
to call you. They are specifically exempt from consulting with any DNC or
other list before doing so. So they don't yet know your privacy preferences
regarding their business relationship with you until you tell them. Maybe
Verizon (you didn't say Verizon who, was it Verizon the phone company or a
different enterprise Verizon Wireless?) is the only one who has called so
far but from my experience there will be others. None of this makes Verizon
xxx evil.
February 11, 2005 9:05:20 PM

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Begin clifto quote:
>
> ; Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> ; > Begin clifto quote:
> ; > ; Yesterday was the third or fourth time they did this, so it's
obnoxious,
> ; > ; and that's why I'm discussing becoming a former customer.
> ; >
> ; > Did you ask them to stop?
> ;
> ; Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?
>
> I'm not you, so I do not know. But your taking offence at their legal
> and legitimate behavior is unfounded and irrational, and your apparent
> refusal to follow the advice given to take a simple step to correct the
> problem is perplexing.

What he said...

> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
>
> [O'Neill awakens in the infirmary and tries to leave his bed] "Doctor
> Fraiser expressed her conviction that you still require bed rest."
> [O'Neill gets out anyway and promptly falls down] "Doctor Fraiser is
> usually right in such matters." - Teal'c, SG1
February 11, 2005 10:58:16 PM

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message

> Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
> exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
> four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
> companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
> telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.

You may be reading more into it than actually exists.

There is a presumption that an existing business relationship exempts the
caller from the do not call requirement. Verizon would have no reason to
assume that you found THEIR calls unwelcome.

Your being on a Do Not Call list is not presumed to mean that companies that
already do business with you should not call. The Do Not Call list is
directed at cold callers.

Since you did not specifically request Verizon to stop telemarketing you,
why do you condemn them? They are proceeding lawfully, and they have an
excellent record of complying with customers that advise them not to
telemarket them.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:58:17 PM

Jeremy wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC
>> list, I've received exactly one actionable call from a
>> window-washing service and three or four telemarketing
>> calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
>> companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided
>> that their telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy
>> preferences.
>>

> You may be reading more into it than actually exists.
>
> There is a presumption that an existing business
> relationship exempts the caller from the do not call
> requirement. Verizon would have no reason to assume that
> you found THEIR calls unwelcome.
>
> Your being on a Do Not Call list is not presumed to mean
> that companies that already do business with you should
> not call. The Do Not Call list is directed at cold
> callers.
>
> Since you did not specifically request Verizon to stop
> telemarketing you, why do you condemn them? They are
> proceeding lawfully, and they have an excellent record of
> complying with customers that advise them not to
> telemarket them.

Just a side note: VZW was the only major carrier deciding
NOT to participate in the "411" directory. Unrelated but
says something about their stand on protecting their customers'
privacy.

-Quick
February 12, 2005 12:50:36 AM

>Did you ask them to stop?
>|
>| Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?

No, I doubt you will since you seem to really want to be offended.
Get over it, don't sweat the small stuff.

Hunter
February 12, 2005 5:37:03 AM

If you get Cingular in your area go for them. All the minutes you actually
pay for you get to keep. Unlike with Verizon who gobbles them up and just
charges you again the same price next month.

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> ...who would you choose for cell service? I'm thinking of switching.
> I'm not unhappy with Verizon service, but they're behaving rather
> scummishly by telemarketing to my home phone number, ignoring the fact
> that I'm on the do-not-call list and using the "business relationship"
> loophole to squeak past the legal barriers.
>
> Don't need fancy phones, like America's Choice-type plans, need good
> phone accessories (headsets, car kits, etc.). Currently buying 800 min
> per month, don't use it all. Want some data capability without jumping
> through hoops, don't need superfast yet.
>
> --
>
> In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:19:50 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:06:53 -0600, "Ben in TN"
<sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>That's why I still have BS for my home phone. I have a couple of cable
>internet providers available to me but, currently their ping is too high to
>play games very well so that is why I'm holding out with ADSL. If the
>newest cable company available to me gets their ping straightened out I'll
>likely switch to them and then port my home phone number over to my wife's
>Verizon wireless number. No wired home phone at all.

Cable is known for low latency. I don't think there's any cable
company that has a decent latency - anywhere. :(

February 12, 2005 2:59:21 PM

Jeremy wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote...
>> Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
>> exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
>> four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
>> companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
>> telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.
>
> There is a presumption that an existing business relationship exempts the
> caller from the do not call requirement. Verizon would have no reason to
> assume that you found THEIR calls unwelcome.

By your reasoning, neither would Heinz, Procter & Gamble, or a thousand
other companies.

"There is a presumption" because the Direct Marketing Association lobbied
for this wide-open loophole in the law, not because such a presumption
is reasonable. If you want a reasonable presumption, then it's most
reasonable to assume that my deliberate, going-out-of-my-way actions
to sign up for a Do Not Call list mean that I don't want to be called.
It's far from reasonable to *presume* that I make an exception for
companies I already buy from; far more reasonable to presume that I
am already buying all the products I want from those companies.

> Your being on a Do Not Call list is not presumed to mean that companies that
> already do business with you should not call. The Do Not Call list is
> directed at cold callers.

Anyone -- ANYONE -- finding me on the DNC list should *presume* that I
do not want calls.

> Since you did not specifically request Verizon to stop telemarketing you,
> why do you condemn them? They are proceeding lawfully, and they have an
> excellent record of complying with customers that advise them not to
> telemarket them.

You talk as though you're in the telemarketing business.

Why do I condemn them? Because I haven't told one hundred thousand other
companies explicitly that I don't want their calls either, and it's not
reasonable to *presume* that I want their calls. And it's not reasonable
to expect me to contact every single company whose products I use,
either regularly or on a one-off basis, to beg off their lists.

I inadvertently bought a Pepsi the other day by ordering "a coke" at
a place that carried only Pepsi products. By your "reasoning", I've
just invited them to call me every day for the next ninety days and
advertise to me.

What is reasonable is to *presume* that I can find their phone number
if I want to talk to them by phone about their products. What is NOT
reasonable is to tell me that they'll stop pounding me if I say "uncle".

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:07:53 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Begin clifto quote:
> ; Well, that's the thing. Since I put myself on the DNC list, I've received
> ; exactly one actionable call from a window-washing service and three or
> ; four telemarketing calls from Verizon, and that's it. Out of all the
> ; companies we do business with, only Verizon has decided that their
> ; telemarketing needs outweigh my privacy preferences.
>
> No, not the national/state do not call list. Tell VERIZON to take you
> off their list.

And while I'm at it, contact the tens of thousands of other companies
whose products I've used in the last year and beg them not to attack me.
After all, I exist only to serve their needs.

> The legislated DNC list only applies to companies you
> do not already have a business relationship with. Since you have one
> with Verizon, they are legally and legitimately exempt.

Legally, yes. Legitimately, it should be obvious to them that my taking
special steps to tell telemarketers not to call me means that I don't
want their calls either.

> So tell them
> directly you do not want telemarketing calls from them.

I probably will, after I switch carriers. I'll let them know by telling
them why I switched.

> Is it really that difficult a concept to understand?

What seems a difficult concept for *you* to understand is that I took
special specific steps to tell telemarketers everywhere that I do NOT
want their calls. *I* did not make exceptions for *any* companies;
whether or not the Direct Marketing Association bought enough of
Congress to get those exceptions made has nothing to do with my needs,
wants or desires.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:32:15 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Begin clifto quote:
> ; Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> ; > Did you ask them to stop?
> ;
> ; Suppose I do, and they stop. Will I become un-offended at that time?
>
> I'm not you, so I do not know. But your taking offence at their legal
> and legitimate behavior is unfounded and irrational,

No. Your blind subservience to the telemarketers' intrusive bullying is
the irrational ideology here. Whether you (and they) like it or not, I
do NOT exist to serve the telemarketing industry.

> and your apparent
> refusal to follow the advice given to take a simple step to correct the
> problem is perplexing.

One simple step... performed tens of thousands of times to say "uncle"
to the tens of thousands of companies I've done business with. (Yes,
tens of thousands. Look in your pantry and start counting there. Then
walk around the house, the office, etc.) Sorry, I do NOT exist to
serve the telemarketing industry. Just as saying "uncle" to stop a
bully beating is the wrong way to handle a situation, saying "uncle"
to a telemarketer to stop a bully beating is the wrong way to handle
this situation.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:33:04 PM

Quick wrote:
> Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
>> I'm not you, so I do not know. But your taking offence
>> at their legal
>> and legitimate behavior is unfounded and irrational, and
>> your apparent refusal to follow the advice given to take
>> a simple step to correct the problem is perplexing.
>
> Not really... that was a rehtorical observation, right?

It's becoming obvious to me that Jeffrey makes money in some way from

!