Recovery CD??

Hi all,
I don't usually work on Compaq products (I'm an IBM certified partner)
and this morning one of our clients had a problem with his Compaq
Presario 5014EA (well, an old AMD Duron 900 Mhz)... I could trasfer
all the data before the HD breathed its last. I then installed a
brand-new HD and started the installation of the OS using a blue
Recovery CD (I couldn't find anything else in the box. Is something
missing?). The CD could boot up and showed a message: "Contact the
Compaq technical support". Hey, cool! I browsed into the CD-ROM and
found only a couple of files... I couldn't even installed a new OS
from scratch, the system hang just after copying the files...

I remembered the BIOS is very demanding in those systems, right? Or
the HD's have a sort of digital sign?

Okay, that pc needs to be up and running by tomorrow at noon. How can
install my OS? Why that Recovert CD was almost empty?

Thanks.

--
Ross
9 answers Last reply

    You could get the recovery disk(s) from Compaq for around $10US last I've
    checked. I have the Presairo 1216US with the same CPU (900 Mhz Duron),
    Phonix BIOS Ver 4.06CJ15 and didn't have problems doing a clean Win XP
    install. Nice to get rid of the D drive and all that Compaq junk.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:20:30 GMT, "foolinyu" <foo@BayArea.none> wrote:

    >You could get the recovery disk(s) from Compaq for around $10US

    Hi Foolinyu,
    do I really need those recovery disks? Isn't there any link on the
    Compaq website to download?

    >last I've
    >checked. I have the Presairo 1216US with the same CPU (900 Mhz Duron),
    >Phonix BIOS Ver 4.06CJ15 and didn't have problems doing a clean Win XP
    >install. Nice to get rid of the D drive and all that Compaq junk.

    My problem is time. I cannot wait for those recovery disks... isn't
    there any Compaq tool for 'unlocking' the new HD and install a new OS
    from scratch? Where is the problem? In the MBR? In the BIOS on the
    mobo?

    Thanks.

    --
    Ross

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:20:30 GMT, "foolinyu" <foo@BayArea.none> wrote:
    >
    >>You could get the recovery disk(s) from Compaq for around $10US
    >
    > Hi Foolinyu,
    > do I really need those recovery disks? Isn't there any link on the
    > Compaq website to download?
    >
    >>last I've
    >>checked. I have the Presairo 1216US with the same CPU (900 Mhz Duron),
    >>Phonix BIOS Ver 4.06CJ15 and didn't have problems doing a clean Win XP
    >>install. Nice to get rid of the D drive and all that Compaq junk.
    >
    > My problem is time. I cannot wait for those recovery disks... isn't
    > there any Compaq tool for 'unlocking' the new HD and install a new OS
    > from scratch? Where is the problem? In the MBR? In the BIOS on the
    > mobo?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Ross

    What country is EA? You may need Windows for that country, no?

    Try this. may help:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&product=92941

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:57:54 GMT, "foolinyu" <foo@BayArea.none> wrote:

    [CUT]
    >What country is EA? You may need Windows for that country, no?

    Hi Foolinyu,
    I think EA stands for EMEA (European and Mediterranean Area).
    Unfortunately the link you provide is just for software drivers, I
    cannot see any reference for a specific Compaq tool... the 'System
    Recovery' section has basic instructions for a system recovery, no
    reference for a failed hard drive to restore. In addition, I don't
    have any QuickRestore CD's here, that is why I'm asking for a link to
    download them or a tool to avoid using them and install a clean OS.

    --
    Ross
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    > EMEA

    = Europe, Middle East and Africa in most cases.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On 4 Oct 2004 21:33:01 GMT, Frank le Spikkin <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote:

    >Ross <memmonightREMOVETHIS@libero.it> wrote in
    >
    >> EMEA
    >
    >= Europe, Middle East and Africa in most cases.

    Ah, right :-)

    --
    Ross
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    "Ross" <memmonightREMOVETHIS@libero.it> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:57:54 GMT, "foolinyu" <foo@BayArea.none> wrote:
    >
    > [CUT]
    >>What country is EA? You may need Windows for that country, no?
    >
    > Hi Foolinyu,
    > I think EA stands for EMEA (European and Mediterranean Area).
    > Unfortunately the link you provide is just for software drivers, I
    > cannot see any reference for a specific Compaq tool... the 'System
    > Recovery' section has basic instructions for a system recovery, no
    > reference for a failed hard drive to restore. In addition, I don't
    > have any QuickRestore CD's here, that is why I'm asking for a link to
    > download them or a tool to avoid using them and install a clean OS.
    >
    > --
    > Ross

    OK then I guess Compaq wants you to buy it as it contain the OS as well.

    Mine installation didn't have any lockout schemes. I just put the OS disk
    in, reformatted the drive and then did a fresh install - nothing unusual.

    By chance did you make an image of the old drive before it died?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Compaq recovery disks generally depend on files stored on the hard drive to
    work. What you would need to install from scratch are the Quick Restore
    disks. You could also download the drivers for that model and install a
    retail version of windows. Nothing special about the hard drive. The BIOS
    limitations are going to be similar to any other PC of that era in regards
    to the hard drive. If you can still clone the old drive on to the new one,
    the recovery CD will probably work.

    "Ross" <memmonightREMOVETHIS@libero.it> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I don't usually work on Compaq products (I'm an IBM certified partner)
    > and this morning one of our clients had a problem with his Compaq
    > Presario 5014EA (well, an old AMD Duron 900 Mhz)... I could trasfer
    > all the data before the HD breathed its last. I then installed a
    > brand-new HD and started the installation of the OS using a blue
    > Recovery CD (I couldn't find anything else in the box. Is something
    > missing?). The CD could boot up and showed a message: "Contact the
    > Compaq technical support". Hey, cool! I browsed into the CD-ROM and
    > found only a couple of files... I couldn't even installed a new OS
    > from scratch, the system hang just after copying the files...
    >
    > I remembered the BIOS is very demanding in those systems, right? Or
    > the HD's have a sort of digital sign?
    >
    > Okay, that pc needs to be up and running by tomorrow at noon. How can
    > install my OS? Why that Recovert CD was almost empty?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Ross

Compaq Data Recovery CD-Rom Computers