600 MHz P3 in Proliant 3000 (ES1003)

Hi,

I've just purchased a Proliant 3000 with no processors, VRMs etc. On
Ebay I've found a couple of P3-600 MHz Katmai SL3JM with VRMs ripped
from a couple of Proliant 1850R servers (~100 USD, is that fair?).

I'm not entirely sure that the Processors and VRMs will fit into the
3000, so I *really* hope that some of you guys can help me out.

The bottom Q/A makes me think the processors will fit:
<http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/ProLiant3000/600-questionandanswer.html>

But then again, this makes me feel a little less certain:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=q0ljmvk5dk16ai79h44f3q9ili6scrt3fq%404ax.com>

And what about the VRM-modules from the 1850R?

Another thing; will the server take non-ECC PC100 RAM? I really hope
so... :-)

Hardware details:

Part no for the mainboard: 146937-001
Part no on the back of tower: 352647-001
series: es1003
Some other number on back of tower: 3862c702 (not neccesarily correct,
sorry)

I would have posted this in <alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers>, but
sadly my isp doesn't provide it :-/

Btw I'm planning on installing Debian Sarge on it, but I don't really
fear that part of the game :-)

Thanks in advance!
--
mvh Jes Vestervang
5 answers Last reply

    Jes Vestervang <jes@royal.flof.dk> writes:

    > And what about the VRM-modules from the 1850R?

    I found out the VRMs fit perfectly in the 3000 :-)
    --
    mvh Jes Vestervang @ FZS600 & DT125R

    Outlook Express-bruger, se her: <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

    For the most part, servers (Compaq and others) most often use ECC registered
    DIMM memory. Non-ECC won't do it... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:03:16 +0200, Jes Vestervang <jes@royal.flof.dk> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just purchased a Proliant 3000 with no processors, VRMs etc. On
    >Ebay I've found a couple of P3-600 MHz Katmai SL3JM with VRMs ripped
    >from a couple of Proliant 1850R servers (~100 USD, is that fair?).
    >
    >I'm not entirely sure that the Processors and VRMs will fit into the
    >3000, so I *really* hope that some of you guys can help me out.
    >
    >The bottom Q/A makes me think the processors will fit:
    ><http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/ProLiant3000/600-questionandanswer.html>
    >
    >But then again, this makes me feel a little less certain:
    ><http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=q0ljmvk5dk16ai79h44f3q9ili6scrt3fq%404ax.com>
    >
    >And what about the VRM-modules from the 1850R?
    >
    >Another thing; will the server take non-ECC PC100 RAM? I really hope
    >so... :-)
    >
    >Hardware details:
    >
    >Part no for the mainboard: 146937-001
    >Part no on the back of tower: 352647-001
    >series: es1003
    >Some other number on back of tower: 3862c702 (not neccesarily correct,
    >sorry)
    >
    >I would have posted this in <alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers>, but
    >sadly my isp doesn't provide it :-/
    >
    >Btw I'm planning on installing Debian Sarge on it, but I don't really
    >fear that part of the game :-)
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >--
    >mvh Jes Vestervang

    Try posting in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
    HH

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Try posting in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

    >> I would have posted this in <alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers>, but
    >> sadly my isp doesn't provide it :-/

    Ehh, I would if I could :-) But I'll try to work something out... in
    time :-)
    --
    mvh Jes Vestervang @ FZS600 & DT125R

    Outlook Express-bruger, se her: <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

    What's the model number for the proliant? (the real model number, the one
    that goes XXXXXX-XXX)

    Deep

    "Jes Vestervang" <jes@royal.flof.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just purchased a Proliant 3000 with no processors, VRMs etc. On
    > Ebay I've found a couple of P3-600 MHz Katmai SL3JM with VRMs ripped
    > from a couple of Proliant 1850R servers (~100 USD, is that fair?).
    >
    > I'm not entirely sure that the Processors and VRMs will fit into the
    > 3000, so I *really* hope that some of you guys can help me out.
    >
    > The bottom Q/A makes me think the processors will fit:

    <http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/ProLiant3000/600-questionandansw
    er.html>

    > But then again, this makes me feel a little less certain:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=q0ljmvk5dk16ai79h44f3q9ili6scrt3fq%404
    ax.com>

    > And what about the VRM-modules from the 1850R?
    >
    > Another thing; will the server take non-ECC PC100 RAM? I really hope
    > so... :-)
    >
    > Hardware details:
    >
    > Part no for the mainboard: 146937-001
    > Part no on the back of tower: 352647-001
    > series: es1003
    > Some other number on back of tower: 3862c702 (not neccesarily correct,
    > sorry)
    >
    > I would have posted this in <alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers>, but
    > sadly my isp doesn't provide it :-/
    >
    > Btw I'm planning on installing Debian Sarge on it, but I don't really
    > fear that part of the game :-)
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > --
    > mvh Jes Vestervang

Compaq Internet Service Providers Processors Proliant Computers