  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:30:58 AM

After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.

When EQ just started years ago my friends tried hard to convince me to play.
That time I was into Baldur's gate series. There were so many great single
players RPG available those days. I have been playing Diablo series,
Plainscape torment, fallout, Wizardry 8, Icewind Dale, Dungeon Sage,
Neverwinter night series Morrowind.so on.
And never played MORPG.
These days I don't see RPG that interest me so I want to join EQ world.
I read EQ player's guide and interested in dark elf necromancer, Halfling
cleric and half elf bard.
Since I am not very out going person, I maybe more comfortable playing solo
I think.
But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try solo as
far as I could go.
So what is the most capable character to solo?
Any advice to newbe?
Any tips choosing server? (I have no idea how to chose server)
Any advice is appreciated.

More about : eq1 character capable solo

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:54:01 AM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try solo
> as
> far as I could go.

It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as you can
go

the game is not cut out for it

also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help you
get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the majority of the
player base has already passed that stage and are raiding

your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:54:02 AM

Necro will easily solo to 67 or so. Will take some skill above around 64 or
so but its not hard. It will just take some time.

Cladari

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try solo
>> as
>> far as I could go.
>
> It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as you
> can go
>
> the game is not cut out for it
>
> also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help you
> get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the majority of the
> player base has already passed that stage and are raiding
>
> your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:17:16 PM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>
> When EQ just started years ago my friends tried hard to convince me to
> play.
> That time I was into Baldur's gate series. There were so many great single
> players RPG available those days. I have been playing Diablo series,
> Plainscape torment, fallout, Wizardry 8, Icewind Dale, Dungeon Sage,
> Neverwinter night series Morrowind.so on.
> And never played MORPG.
> These days I don't see RPG that interest me so I want to join EQ world.
> I read EQ player's guide and interested in dark elf necromancer, Halfling
> cleric and half elf bard.
> Since I am not very out going person, I maybe more comfortable playing
> solo
> I think.
> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo.

Certain classes can solo and some can't.

You can solo any class, but doing so with some would be very painful
and take forever.

> I still want to try solo as
> far as I could go.
> So what is the most capable character to solo?

Necromancer. Hands down. Nothing else comes close.
You could solo all the wy to 70 and get all AA no problem.

> Any advice to newbe?

Tank for the pet in the early levels this will get your dodge and defense
skills up.
Make sure you get the Banshee Aura spell and use it.

Eventually you won't be able to tank any more. Then switch to fear-kiting.

Farm tradeskill items like spider and spiderling silks and sell them in the
bazaar.
Then buy new equipment with your cash. Get items with hit points. To a
necromancer
hit points are your mana since you get spells to convert it.

> Any tips choosing server? (I have no idea how to chose server)
> Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:54:14 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:30:58 GMT, "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>So what is the most capable character to solo?

A Beastlord might be easy one. You can heal yourself in downtime and
if you're in a tight spot, you can leavce your summoned pet behind to
tank while you run for the zone. Although other classes have pets,
Beastlord have the advantage of pet only buffs that makes their pet a
whole lot more powerful than comparable level pet.

Shadowknight is another possibility, they tank well and can heal if
needed plus pet summons (useless as they are, it has saved my brother
a few times)

Most of EQ gameplay is not really about soloing but about socializing
and working in a teamwork to accomplish a task. Try it, put lfg up
and get grouped.
February 20, 2005 3:44:40 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:54:01 GMT, "Joiner" wrote:

> It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as you can
> go

Huh?
It's easier than it's ever been to solo. You don't even need groups to
get reasonable gear any more, just cash to spend in the bazaar.

> also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help you
> get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the majority of the
> player base has already passed that stage and are raiding

Which doesn't matter at all until you get into your 50s.
And I'm not convinced it's the 'majority' of the player base, just those
that play a lot. I know plenty of people who never raid.

In answer to the OP, people say necro, druid, and shaman are the easiest
to solo. Bards are also a strong class for soloing, but are much harder
to play.
Rogues are probably the hardest to solo because their strongest attack
relies on being behind their opponent.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:05:07 PM

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try solo
>> as
>> far as I could go.
>
> It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as you
> can go
>
> the game is not cut out for it
>
> also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help you
> get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the majority of the
> player base has already passed that stage and are raiding
>
> your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2

A better bet would be to buy World of warcraft, which is better for the
soloer than either eq1 or eq2.
Both EQ's are dying anyway.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:19:31 PM

Vladesch wrote:
> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>>>But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try solo
>>>as
>>>far as I could go.
>>
>>It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as you
>>can go
>>
>>the game is not cut out for it
>>
>>also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help you
>>get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the majority of the
>>player base has already passed that stage and are raiding
>>
>>your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2
>>

> A better bet would be to buy World of warcraft, which is better for the
> soloer than either eq1 or eq2.
> Both EQ's are dying anyway.

EQ1 has obviously takes a hit to it's number of players recently but I can see
it outlasting EQ2. There seem to be a fair number of people who are playing WoW
and EQ1 because they are both different games. F
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:55:16 PM

>"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

> I still want to try solo as
> far as I could go.
> So what is the most capable character to solo?

Necromancer or Beastlord are both good. Necro can Fear mobs and
adequately snare them with one of the Darkness dots. The Beastlord is
a good fighter, as is the pet, and the pet can soon nuke for a decent
amount, too. I have one of each, and it's 50/50 which one I prefer -
others may be more partisan, mind you :)

Palindrome
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:40:09 PM

"tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Necro will easily solo to 67 or so. Will take some skill above around 64
> or so but its not hard. It will just take some time.

tell him the truth now, there are about 4 classes that can solo effectively
without sitting on their asses all day watching the little blue bar barely
move

Dont make this game look like something it isnt
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:22:51 PM

I play on the Stromm server, which appears to be thriving. Plenty of
players at all levels. That may be a good server for you to join.

Lou
Heckyoubus - 54 Enchanter
Stromm
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:52:39 PM

Guys, thank you for your opinion and advice.
I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available today or
I have to have latest expansion game for that?
I just got EQ trilogy and played tutorial kind of stage not very familiar
with this game.

So bard and cleric is a bad idea for solo I guess. But may be easy to find
group to accept them since they can be helpful to buffing and healing
others?
Do you guys stick with the same group every time you log in or just find
buddy to go with for a quest for the day?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:52:40 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:52:39 GMT, "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available today or
>I have to have latest expansion game for that?

Beastlords were introduced with the Shadows of Luclin expansion. If
you're able to create a Vah'shir character, you have the expansion,
and, thus, you can create a Beastlord. Races that can be Beastlords
are Ogres, trolls, Barbarians, and Vah'shir. They are a very strong
class, IMO. My highest level character before I left EQ was a 57 BST.
Only 57 because I'm an altoholic and I roleplay a lot. A -LOT-. I made
that BST when SoL was released. ;)

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:52:40 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:52:39 GMT, "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>So bard and cleric is a bad idea for solo I guess. But may be easy to find
>group to accept them since they can be helpful to buffing and healing
>others?

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a group with either of those
classes...especially cleric, I'm always looking for a good healer.

>Do you guys stick with the same group every time you log in or just find
>buddy to go with for a quest for the day?

I usually just log in and find a group, but the more you play you
start grouping with the same people more and more, mainly because the
same people are usually on at the same times everyday, plus if given a
choice between someone I know is a good player and someone I've never
grouped with, I'll take the known good player.

Shella
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:17:08 AM

> Guys, thank you for your opinion and advice.
> I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available
> today or I have to have latest expansion game for that?
> I just got EQ trilogy and played tutorial kind of stage not very
> familiar with this game.
>
> So bard and cleric is a bad idea for solo I guess. But may be easy to
> find group to accept them since they can be helpful to buffing and
> healing others?
> Do you guys stick with the same group every time you log in or just
> find buddy to go with for a quest for the day?

Regarding bards, I would like to point out that I solo'ed quite easily and
effectively until I hit a brick wall in my upper 50's. By brick wall I mean
that I went from levelling very fast and easily to just easily. Xp slowed
way down at that point, but it was still pretty easy to go it alone. I'll
admit that there may yet have been more places to solo with better xp that
I was unfamiliar with, however, so I suppose I might have been able to keep
up the fast pace beyond that if I'd put a little more effort into it.

One thing I *did* realize in about my early 40's was that I hated solo'ing
for long periods, though I was tempted to do with my bard, as it was so
effective, but it is booooring.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

John M Clancy wrote:
> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.

> > I still want to try solo as
> > far as I could go.
> > So what is the most capable character to solo?
>
> Necromancer. Hands down. Nothing else comes close.
> You could solo all the wy to 70 and get all AA no problem.

Has anyone mentioned Druids? They are very good soloers and since he
was looking at a cleric, he may like the ability to serve as healer as
well as soloer...

Druids can solo just about anything the necros can, but they will just
tend to take longer to do it. [Their damage over time (DoT) spells are
usually not as good, they cannot regen mana nearly as fast, and their
pet is only slightly better than useless].

> > Any advice to newbe?
>
> Tank for the pet in the early levels this will get your dodge and
defense
> skills up.
> Make sure you get the Banshee Aura spell and use it.

Newbie FYI: By "tank", he means make the monster hit you and no one
else.

> Eventually you won't be able to tank any more. Then switch to
fear-kiting.

I agree but want to point out a few things.

1) You *can* tank dark blues all the way to 70.
2) You will want to tank dark blues from time to time, all the way to
70.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to let your defensive skill
fall seriously behind. If you get to 65 or 70 and your defensive skill
is 8, you will have a tough time raising it. This is a skill that you
cannot train with a guildmaster. You have to let them beat on you.
And at 65 or 70, a dark blue-con mob (the color it appears when you
target it or /consider it) will do massive damage to you. If your
defense skill has fallen behind, the damage is just that much worse.
It becomes very difficult to raise defense.

How does a necro tank a tough mob? Tap tanking. Let the mob hit you
while you continuously lifetap to heal yourself. It runs you out of
mana very quickly, and is not generally an efficient solo strategy.
But it is one way to keep defense up even at high levels.

....I know, I had to do it at level 67 in order to max out defense from
a pathetic skill of around 50. (I found shadowhaven merchants to work
well for this, even if it did take hours and hours).
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:23:05 AM

Arcury wrote:
> Guys, thank you for your opinion and advice.
> I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available today or
> I have to have latest expansion game for that?
> I just got EQ trilogy and played tutorial kind of stage not very familiar
> with this game.
>
> So bard and cleric is a bad idea for solo I guess. But may be easy to find
> group to accept them since they can be helpful to buffing and healing
> others?
> Do you guys stick with the same group every time you log in or just find
> buddy to go with for a quest for the day?

Clerics can't solo worth a damn, but a bard solos better and faster than
any other class. If your wrists can take the strain, that is.

I solo a lot. My preferences are:

Bard: hands down the best and fastest soloer. Once you can charm kite,
it's off to the races. You'll die often, but who cares since you'll
make the xp up faster than you can believe. Almost anything that
doesn't summon can be eventually killed by a bard.

Necros: Other than a bard, this is the solo class of choice. They can
do everything.

Beastlords: Not as fast as a bard or necro, but a very capable soloer.
I've soloed one to 64 with zero difficulty.

Wizards: Limited by mana regen, but can quadkite with the best of them.
Excellent soloer, but limited on how they solo.

Magician: Very capable soloers from 1-65. After that, it slows down
quite a bit. They have almost no tools to solo with other than pure
dps, but if they pick their solo spots well, they'll do great. One of
the few classes that can solo summoning mobs.

Enchanter: someone else who can do almost anything, but dies a lot as
well :-)

Druids: jack of all trades, master of none. One of the original "solo
classes".

Shamans: Slow at soloing, but very capable. Slow+healing+tankage = XP.

Shadowknights: if it can be feared, it can be soloed.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:51:53 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:23:05 -0800, Chris Anderson
<chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote:

>Clerics can't solo worth a damn

Depends on what you're soloing, actually. I hear they do pretty damn
good solo against undead.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:44:13 PM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Guys, thank you for your opinion and advice.
> I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available today
> or
> I have to have latest expansion game for that?
> I just got EQ trilogy and played tutorial kind of stage not very familiar
> with this game.

DO NOT attempt a bard if this is your first character

they are highly complicated and have many quirks and require much button
mashing. If you cannot twist 3 or 4 songs at once this class gets even
harder to play
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:51:56 PM

> DO NOT attempt a bard if this is your first character
>
> they are highly complicated and have many quirks and require much button
> mashing. If you cannot twist 3 or 4 songs at once this class gets even
> harder to play

No they don't.

-m
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:40:20 PM

"-martin" <nospam-villa_nospam_@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> DO NOT attempt a bard if this is your first character
> No they don't.

yes they do

if you solo this is a must
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:25:46 PM

"tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in

> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>>> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try
>>> solo as far as I could go.
>>
>> It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as
>> you can go
>>
>> the game is not cut out for it
>>
>> also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help
>> you get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the
>> majority of the player base has already passed that stage and are
>> raiding
>>
>> your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2
>
> Necro will easily solo to 67 or so. Will take some skill above around
> 64 or so but its not hard. It will just take some time.

Please don't toppost here.

Necros are arguably the best solo class in EQ. They can solo all the way
to level 70 and collect AAs at a pretty astounding rate. Bards used to
be better, but, with changes a while back, I believe they have fallen
behind, not sure. A well played Enchanter is also awesome.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:27:49 PM

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> After years of delay, I am very interested in playing EverQuest.
>> But I hard it is almost impossible to play solo. I still want to try
>> solo as far as I could go.
>
> It is almost impossible in this period of the game to solo as far as
> you can go
>
> the game is not cut out for it
>
> also even when you do level, the odds of having enough people to help
> you get the keys and flags you need are slim to none since the
> majority of the player base has already passed that stage and are
> raiding
>
> your best bet would be to move straight into EQ2

Um, what game have you been playing?

My shaman has soloed for probably 70% of his career, and has had zero
problems from level 1 to level 70. The flagging is certainly harder now
than it used to be, but, is completely unnecessary for soloing.
Personally, if I was going to start from level 1, I'd go with a
necromancer, if I knew I was going to be soloing most or all of it.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner
February 22, 2005 10:58:46 PM

In article <xOFSd.2750$DW.772@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
joiner@hotmail.com says...

> "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Guys, thank you for your opinion and advice.
> > I don't see Beastlord on the manual. Is it something new available today
> > or
> > I have to have latest expansion game for that?
> > I just got EQ trilogy and played tutorial kind of stage not very familiar
> > with this game.
> >

> DO NOT attempt a bard if this is your first character

Nah, go for it. They're fun to play, and easy to solo. I'd pick a bard
over a warrior for a first character -any- day.

> they are highly complicated and have many quirks and require much button
> mashing.

So learn the quirks. And they aren't -that- complicated.

Step 1: Get J/T boots or Sow Potions (Don't want to waste a song singing
selos (run speed)... plus selo's is almost too fast for easy kiting :)

Step 2: Get a drum. For the bard on a budget the combine drums sold in
Katta Castellum are cheap and adequate.

Step 3: Find a mob

Step 4:

snare, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot
snare, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot
snare, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot

You can do that all the to the end if you want.

Or you can mix it up with swarm kiting, but you'll really want a few
points of flowing thought, and ideally a gazughi ring to make that go
smoothly...

Then its:

charm a mob, send it into a few other mobs (or a dozen other mobs), let
them shred your pet, when your pet is very low, invis (by song, or for
more precise timing use a gazughi ring), and fire a dot or two at the
former pet to finish it off... select new target and repeat

> If you cannot twist 3 or 4 songs at once this class gets even
> harder to play

Its really not that hard.

And if all you do is solo you are missing out... Bards are fabulous
additions to most groups. Sadly they are fairly rare, and rarer still is
a good grouping bard. Its so easy to solo, that's all most know how to
do.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:28:23 AM

On 2005-02-22, Chris Anderson <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote:
> Bard: hands down the best and fastest soloer. Once you can charm kite,
> it's off to the races. You'll die often, but who cares since you'll
> make the xp up faster than you can believe.

Up until your 60s when charm no longer works on anything that gives
decent experience. Overall, these days I'd say necro beats bard hands
down for soloing.

--
nino
Jeril, 70 Bard, Venril Sathir

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:421c94c0@nntp.usm.edu:
>
>> When I was playing Hartwin, my dwarven cleric (gave him up for
>> personal reasons at season 57), he was quite capable of soloing blues
>> in PoJ, the Hole, Eastern Wastes, and several other areas. Was quite
>> good against both undead and living opponents. Sylavel, Hartwin's
>> replacement (high elf cleric that I grew bored with and gave up at
>> season 49), was never quite as good at soloing as Hart, but could do
>> it reasonably well.
>>

> It gets harder as you level higher. By higher, I meant mid to high 60s.

Ah, gotcha. I wish I was enjoying EQ1 more than I am these days...57 was the
highest I'd gotten a character, would love to get one higher, but...I played
my new shaman Friday night, and was so bored...just kept thinking the whole
time, 'Y'know, I could be playing WoW.' I hate that my enjoyment of WoW is
taking away from what I used to like about EQ1, but...at the same time, I
like what WoW has to offer, so I'll most likely end up cancelling my EQ
account and will never get a character higher than 57.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Widdershins, 21st level Orc Hunter, Hellscream

<nino@nino.niue> wrote in message news:slrnd1ncfv.hs0.nino@rommel.nino.nu...
> > Bard: hands down the best and fastest soloer. Once you can charm kite,
> > it's off to the races. You'll die often, but who cares since you'll
> > make the xp up faster than you can believe.
>
> Up until your 60s when charm no longer works on anything that gives
> decent experience. Overall, these days I'd say necro beats bard hands
> down for soloing.

I was chant kiting Pofire tables recently to pl an alt, and even without
being able to use fire dot the kill rate was good. Maybe not upto the level
of swarm kiting or ae-kiting 50 mobs/pull like olden times... but still damn
fast to almost every other class :)

-m
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:45:07 PM

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:EnISd.35085> >> DO NOT
attempt a bard if this is your first character
> > No they don't.
> >

> yes they do
>
> if you solo this is a must

/melody dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4

Run in a circle.

Now, exactly what "button mashing" is involved in this process?

-m
February 25, 2005 11:58:46 AM

"-martin" <nospam-villa_nospam_@cheerful.com> writes:

> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:EnISd.35085> >> DO NOT
> attempt a bard if this is your first character
> > > No they don't.
> > >

> > yes they do
> >
> > if you solo this is a must
>
> /melody dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4
>
> Run in a circle.
>
> Now, exactly what "button mashing" is involved in this process?

Restarting the the melody every thirty seconds when you miss a note?
If you are, say, a sloth, that might seem like frantic button mashing.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:01:48 PM

On 25 Feb 2005 08:58:46 +0100, patrik@nordebo.com wrote:
>"-martin" <nospam-villa_nospam_@cheerful.com> writes:
>> /melody dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4
>>
>> Run in a circle.
>>
>> Now, exactly what "button mashing" is involved in this process?
>
>Restarting the the melody every thirty seconds when you miss a note?
>If you are, say, a sloth, that might seem like frantic button mashing.

Either I've been out of it longer than I thought, or I just don't pay
attention to Bard issues (though I worked on a bard for a while as my
main)... but when did they start allowing you to twist bard songs via
macro? Were people happy about this change? I always viewed the
frantic button mashing as a vital part of being a bard, and part of
what made it unique. Obviously the previous poster was unaware of
this change, no need to be deliberately obtuse with the "what button
mashing" comment. That IDENTIFIED being a bard for years.

Anyway, I guess now bards might actually talk in /gsay. :)  How
fascinating!
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:03:22 PM

patrik@nordebo.com wrote in news:87sm3l2hqh.fsf@pluto.elizium.org:

> "-martin" <nospam-villa_nospam_@cheerful.com> writes:
>
>> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:EnISd.35085> >>
>> DO NOT attempt a bard if this is your first character
>> > >

>> > yes they do
>> >
>> > if you solo this is a must
>>
>> /melody dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4
>>
>> Run in a circle.
>>
>> Now, exactly what "button mashing" is involved in this process?
>
> Restarting the the melody every thirty seconds when you miss a note?
> If you are, say, a sloth, that might seem like frantic button mashing.

Don't forget the effort involved in running in a circle. :b

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 13 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:04:41 PM

The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in

> On 25 Feb 2005 08:58:46 +0100, patrik@nordebo.com wrote:
>>"-martin" <nospam-villa_nospam_@cheerful.com> writes:
>>> /melody dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4
>>>
>>> Run in a circle.
>>>
>>> Now, exactly what "button mashing" is involved in this process?
>>
>>Restarting the the melody every thirty seconds when you miss a note?
>>If you are, say, a sloth, that might seem like frantic button mashing.
>
> Either I've been out of it longer than I thought, or I just don't pay
> attention to Bard issues (though I worked on a bard for a while as my
> main)... but when did they start allowing you to twist bard songs via
> macro? Were people happy about this change? I always viewed the
> frantic button mashing as a vital part of being a bard, and part of
> what made it unique. Obviously the previous poster was unaware of
> this change, no need to be deliberately obtuse with the "what button
> mashing" comment. That IDENTIFIED being a bard for years.
>
> Anyway, I guess now bards might actually talk in /gsay. :)  How
> fascinating!

The melody command was added some time back now. It allows you to twist
songs without the button mashing. It twists the set of songs you
specify.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 13 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:27:28 AM

On 25 Feb 2005 15:04:41 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>The melody command was added some time back now. It allows you to twist
>songs without the button mashing. It twists the set of songs you
>specify.

But I noticed a slightly increased chance of failed song.
February 28, 2005 7:07:06 PM

Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in news:mr3521p6ucdsalcgr5bcn3l3l9lv3gimsr@
4ax.com:

> On 25 Feb 2005 15:04:41 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>The melody command was added some time back now. It allows you to twist
>>songs without the button mashing. It twists the set of songs you
>>specify.
>
> But I noticed a slightly increased chance of failed song.

Yes, but, it still trivializes soloing for a bard that is not worried about
getting maximum efficiency.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>