Presario R3060CA notebook hard disk problem

Hello all:

I have a Compaq Presario R3060CA laptop I bought May/June 2004. It comes
with a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB hard disk. I also bought a similar 2.5"
hard disk, a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB, for use in an external casing
(USB2.0). Now the HT 60GB has failed on me after weeks of occasional
clicking sounds, while the HT 40GB never had that problem in the external
casing. With the HT 60GB dead, I had to swap the HT 40GB inside the
laptop, which is now displaying the same clicking symptoms of the HT
60GB. I'm starting to wonder if this problem could be at all related to
the laptop itself and not the hard disks. Is it possible that the IDE
could cause the hard disk to fail prematurely? Or could it be that the
inverted orientation of the hard disk (it is effectively upside-down
inside the laptop) causes excessive wear and premature failure?

Please help! Note: Clicking especially more frequent when playing 3D
games. Could this be related to reading problems (like page file or
something)?

Thanks in Advance!

Alex Cheung

Foo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

"Alex Cheung" <alex.cheung@ch.abb.com> wrote in message
> Hello all:
>
> I have a Compaq Presario R3060CA laptop I bought May/June 2004. It comes
> with a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB hard disk. I also bought a similar 2.5"
> hard disk, a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB, for use in an external casing
> (USB2.0). Now the HT 60GB has failed on me after weeks of occasional
> clicking sounds, while the HT 40GB never had that problem in the external
> casing. With the HT 60GB dead, I had to swap the HT 40GB inside the
> laptop, which is now displaying the same clicking symptoms of the HT
> 60GB. I'm starting to wonder if this problem could be at all related to
> the laptop itself and not the hard disks. Is it possible that the IDE
> could cause the hard disk to fail prematurely? Or could it be that the
> inverted orientation of the hard disk (it is effectively upside-down
> inside the laptop) causes excessive wear and premature failure?
>
> Please help! Note: Clicking especially more frequent when playing 3D
> games. Could this be related to reading problems (like page file or
> something)?
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Alex Cheung

Why don't you contact Compaq for repair?

Don't think drive position has anything to do with it - upside down, or any
position should be OK. Mine too had a clicking sound then went dead shortly.
Don't know why both drives going bad - perhaps bad controller, bad
motherboard or too much heat?

Common problems I've seen with the Presairo line:
dead hard disk drive
dead battery
dead battery charging circuit board
bad motherboards - anywhere from cold solder joints and up
dead computer, green light on but no boot

"Foo" <fool@atdmba.nowhere> wrote in

> "Alex Cheung" <alex.cheung@ch.abb.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all:
>>
>> I have a Compaq Presario R3060CA laptop I bought May/June 2004. It
>> comes with a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB hard disk. I also bought a
>> similar 2.5" hard disk, a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB, for use in an
>> external casing (USB2.0). Now the HT 60GB has failed on me after
>> weeks of occasional clicking sounds, while the HT 40GB never had that
>> problem in the external casing. With the HT 60GB dead, I had to swap
>> the HT 40GB inside the laptop, which is now displaying the same
>> clicking symptoms of the HT 60GB. I'm starting to wonder if this
>> problem could be at all related to the laptop itself and not the hard
>> disks. Is it possible that the IDE could cause the hard disk to fail
>> prematurely? Or could it be that the inverted orientation of the hard
>> disk (it is effectively upside-down inside the laptop) causes
>> excessive wear and premature failure?
>>
>> Please help! Note: Clicking especially more frequent when playing 3D
>> games. Could this be related to reading problems (like page file or
>> something)?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!
>>
>> Alex Cheung
>>

> Why don't you contact Compaq for repair?
>
> Don't think drive position has anything to do with it - upside down,
> or any position should be OK. Mine too had a clicking sound then went
> dead shortly. Don't know why both drives going bad - perhaps bad
> controller, bad motherboard or too much heat?
>
> Common problems I've seen with the Presairo line:
> dead hard disk drive
> dead battery
> dead battery charging circuit board
> bad motherboards - anywhere from cold solder joints and up
> dead computer, green light on but no boot

Thanks for the info Foo. I contacted Compaq and will contact them again
but I want to try other methods first because I don't want to mail my
laptop away. I'm away from my laptop at the moment, so I can't test this,
but do you know if I can set the BIOS to boot off a USB HD without an
internal drive present? I saw in the BIOS that you can boot off USB, but
I don't know if this applies when there is no internal HD.

Thanks!

Alex

Okay I've been looking on the internet, and apparently Windows XP is
incapable of booting off USB Hard Drives (but can boot off USB Flash
Drives, what kind of morons work at mickey$oft??) according to official
Microsoft statements. Has ANYbody found this to be false? Is it possible to
install Windows XP on a USB HD and boot off it?

Thanks!

Alex

> Okay I've been looking on the internet, and apparently Windows XP is
> incapable of booting off USB Hard Drives (but can boot off USB Flash
> Drives, what kind of morons work at mickey$oft??) according to official
> Microsoft statements. Has ANYbody found this to be false? Is it possible
> install Windows XP on a USB HD and boot off it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex

Don't think its supported. Should be in next version which means more $$ for
MS.

Boot from network?

"Foo" <fool@atdmba.nowhere> wrote in message

> "Alex Cheung" <alex.cheung@ch.abb.com> wrote in message
>> Okay I've been looking on the internet, and apparently Windows XP is
>> incapable of booting off USB Hard Drives (but can boot off USB Flash
>> Drives, what kind of morons work at mickey$oft??) according to official
>> Microsoft statements. Has ANYbody found this to be false? Is it possible
>> install Windows XP on a USB HD and boot off it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Don't think its supported. Should be in next version which means more $$
> for
> MS.
>
> Boot from network?

I don't believe XP won't do it. I believe it is a BIOS limitation. My Dell
desktop allows me to choose the USB2 drive to boot from. If I can pick it,
XP should boot off it.

Tom