Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 choppy performance

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2012 6:22:49 AM

Hello all, hoping sme one can help.

Really struggling to get smooth game play from battlefield 3. I don't see a great improvement if the settings are on high or medium. Lowering the resolution helps a bit.

Aa options nd blur is off.

Pc set up.

Windows 7 64bit - runs off 1 hard Disk.

Battlefield is on a 40 gb ssd drive.

10 gb ram ddr2 800mhz.

Amd phenom 9500 2.2mhz x4 cores.

Power colour hd6850 1gb

Mo bo gigabyte m57S4-sli

750w power supply.

I do not see much difference if I run the card on default or overview maxed out.

Tried various catalyst drivers and can't see any improvement.

Any help or advice would be great.
May 1, 2012 7:52:41 AM

Your Processor is holding you back, it is a quad core but is one of the first ones.

Unfortunatley you would need new CPU, RAM & Motherboard to improve it.
May 1, 2012 7:57:20 AM

the 9500 is the problem as above says. bump it to 2.6 if you have the cooling and it should pick up some. also create a file called user.cfg and add the following.

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60.000000
render.drawfps 1
Render.DrawScreenInfo 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1
render.perfoverlayvisible 0
Screenshot.Format jpg
UI.DrawEnable 1
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 1024

put this in the install folder of the game and it should help level out your fps droop.
yeah its nice to have 90-110 fps but its pretty pointless having that high fps if your drooping to 30+ limiting the fps to 60 means your minimum fps will increase slightly and reduce stutter dramatically. in some cases.
Related resources
May 1, 2012 9:14:04 AM

HEXiT said:
the 9500 is the problem as above says. bump it to 2.6 if you have the cooling and it should pick up some. also create a file called user.cfg and add the following.

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60.000000
render.drawfps 1
Render.DrawScreenInfo 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1
render.perfoverlayvisible 0
Screenshot.Format jpg
UI.DrawEnable 1
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 1024

put this in the install folder of the game and it should help level out your fps droop.
yeah its nice to have 90-110 fps but its pretty pointless having that high fps if your drooping to 30+ limiting the fps to 60 means your minimum fps will increase slightly and reduce stutter dramatically. in some cases.

smashing I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.

I know my cpu is one of the early ones, I will look into overclocking it a bit. At the moment it runs at 35C idle and 40 under load. I have improved cooling on it, so should be able to bump it up a bit.
May 1, 2012 10:36:05 AM

do it via the motherboard. cool and quiet is for adjusting the fan speed to keep your cpu cool but limiting noise when its not at full load. its not overclocking software...
i see you really are a beginner with this so i recomend you look around toms cpu forum and ask about you oc there...
May 1, 2012 10:45:15 AM

HEXiT said:
do it via the motherboard. cool and quiet is for adjusting the fan speed to keep your cpu cool but limiting noise when its not at full load. its not overclocking software...
i see you really are a beginner with this so i recomend you look around toms cpu forum and ask about you oc there...

Yeah total rookie at overclocking.

Would love to buy a new pc but the wife will cut me if I try ( new babies just arrived ).

I will do my research on the overclocking before taken it to warp 9
Anonymous
May 1, 2012 1:05:22 PM

why do ppl think 80, 90 fps is good, 60 fps is all thats needed for perfect game play, after 60 makes no difference.
May 1, 2012 3:04:41 PM

actually thats not quite rite... it depends on your packet data and how many are sent per second. this determines how accurately the game updates... games like wow use about 40 pacets a second so to get smooth gameplay you only need 40 fps, cod 4 on the other hand can use up to 100 packets so to get ultra smooth gameplay you can set both packets and fps to 100 and if your monitor sports 100mhz frequency you can have tear free gaming to boot. bf3 uses 60 packets so running 100 fps is actually over kill and you will get smoothest performance if you set your fps to 60 or 120... it really isnt just about 60fps is all your monitor can display so 60 fps is the limit... your eye can see between 250 and 400 fps with healthy eyes and brain. this has been tested with fighter pilots in labs so no m8 im sorry to say 60fps isnt all thats needed in the way you put it...
May 2, 2012 7:13:43 PM

I think this will smooth out my frame rates.

Item: Asus M5A99X EVO 990X Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Qty: 1
Item: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Qty: 1
Item: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered - Qty: 1

Whatcha think :love: 
!