NO POWER

I just got through building a new computer AMD 1G on a ASUS A7PRo MOBO with a 300watt power supply. I have everything hooked up, but I don't have any power, when I plug it in the CPU fan goes on for a second or two then stops, the LED goes on and stays on while plugged in and remains on for a couple of seconds after it is plugged out. I am trying to troubleshoot this any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
KEN
7 answers Last reply
More about power
  1. where did you get the power supply? I have had that happen, and it was the "great deal" that I got on a 300watt PS. If you have an extra, try switching them out.

~enjoy

Those who do not know, speak. Those who are silent, know.
  2. Almost sounds like you're set for 220 instead of 110....
  3. No, it's set for 115. I have checked the power supply by switching it to another computer, I have also switched the front panel connectors and they worked ok, I have reversed the connectors in the computer that is not working and still no power. I am at my wit's end. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  4. I need some advice, I took the mobo back to the retailer, they checked it out and said it was dead, he also indicated that because one standoff was not screwed in, this cause the mobo to shortcircuit and fried the mobo. The asus A7PRO has nine standoffs, I was able to insert screws into eight of the standoffs but was unable to get the screw into the last standoff. Would this cause the mobo to shortcircuit??
  5. NO!!!! I have checked many boards out with them lying on my desktop,not even installed in a case. NEVER a problem.
    This is just their way of not having to replace your motherboard. If they can convince you it was your fault somehow they don't have to replace a bad board.It was most likely bad to begin with .

I aint signing nothing!!!
  6. The only way you can short it out because of a standoff is if there is one touching one of the motherboards circuits. In otherwords, having too few standoffs is not a problem as long as the board does not touch anything else. But having one in the wrong place, where it shorts one of the circuits, can cause a problem. In other words, it's ok to have too few (as long as the board doesn't short to something else), but not ok to have too many (because if one touches a circuit it creats a short). This even comes from the definition of a shorted circuit-a circuit that follows a shorter path than the one intended because it is grounded in the middle.

Suicide is painless...........
  7. Thanks for your advice everyone. What was causing the problem was a bad mobo took it back to the retailer again today talked to the manager and explained what was going on, he gave me a new mobo, took it home hooked it up and its running like a top.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Power Supplies Power Overclocking