Unix/Linux for Presario R3210US laptop?

I've just acquired one and I'd like to defenestrate it.

Knoppix 3.2 won't boot, and Partition Magic 8 fails when I try to
shrink the Windows XP partition to open some space for a distro that
expects an empty partition.
3 answers Last reply
More about unix linux presario r3210us laptop

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:06:58 -0500, steverush1@cox.net wrote:

    >I've just acquired one and I'd like to defenestrate it.
    >
    >Knoppix 3.2 won't boot, and Partition Magic 8 fails when I try to
    >shrink the Windows XP partition to open some space for a distro that
    >expects an empty partition.

    I got Partition Magic to work, freed 30 GB or so, and installed
    Mandrake 10. Couldn't get online because Mandrake doesn't know
    about my Broadcom Wi-Fi tranceiver. Tried Fedora Core 2. The
    install went smoothly enough, but FC2 doesn't recognize the
    Wi-Fi hardware either. A Dogpile search turned up ndiswrapper,
    but I haven't tried to install it yet. It's one of those
    "Compile this, then recompile the kernel, and if it doesn't
    work, apply the usual fiddles and dodges" deals. Connecting to
    my router with a cable let me put the machine online, where I
    found a huge pile of pending Fedora updates. I turned up2date
    loose on the pile, and something failed. Mozilla went away and
    now the system won't boot to Linux. Debian? Slackware?

    If it weren't for the half-dozen or so malware attacks I detect
    (and however many that I don't detect) every time I let Windows
    connect to the Internet for an hour or two, I'd just go back to
    Windows.

    Has _anyone_ got a fully functional non-M$ system running on a
    Presario 3000 - series laptop?

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:06:58 -0500, steverush1@cox.net wrote:

    >I've just acquired one and I'd like to defenestrate it.
    >
    >Knoppix 3.2 won't boot, and Partition Magic 8 fails when I try to
    >shrink the Windows XP partition to open some space for a distro that
    >expects an empty partition.

    Partition Magic worked on third try. Fedora Core 2 installed
    smoothly. Now, if I could just find a Linux driver for the
    builtin Broadcom Wi-Fi tranceiver I could delete the Windows
    partition and use the space to explore other Linux distros, or
    FreeBSD, or even MMURTL.

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:26:42 -0500, steverush1 wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:06:58 -0500, steverush1@cox.net wrote:
    >
    >>I've just acquired one and I'd like to defenestrate it.
    >>
    >>Knoppix 3.2 won't boot, and Partition Magic 8 fails when I try to shrink
    >>the Windows XP partition to open some space for a distro that expects an
    >>empty partition.
    >
    > Partition Magic worked on third try. Fedora Core 2 installed smoothly.
    > Now, if I could just find a Linux driver for the builtin Broadcom Wi-Fi
    > tranceiver I could delete the Windows partition and use the space to
    > explore other Linux distros, or FreeBSD, or even MMURTL.

    The ndiswrapper works like a charm with this adapter. Try this link:

    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

    Get one of the drivers for the Broadcom 94306 802.11g Rev 3 chipsets.

    Now if I could only find a driver for the Agere Systems AC'97 modem so I
    could use this where I don't have wireless!

    --
    Registered Linux User #: 222896
    Registered Machine #: 148845

Compaq Partition Computers