Tweaks to reduce noise on FOP38?

G

The cooling on the FOP38 is great, but not that I have it, it's almost driving me crazy. Is there anyway of reducing it's speed. I am almost considering putting the old fan that came with the cpu back as this thing make my other computer with 5 fans in it like child's play.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i've heard there is a reostat for the fan so that you can turn it down when you don't need all that air and trun up when you do need alot of air

anybody heard of reostat that changes the speed of the fan as the chips temature change i was thinking about it the other day

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You can stretch out the clips that hold the 60mm fan on there and put a 80mm fan on there.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Here is a how-to on using an 80mm fan on a Fop32/Fop38 heatsink.

<A HREF="http://www.ocshoot.com/foprocks.htm" target="_new">http://www.ocshoot.com/foprocks.htm</A>.

You need a 40 CFM fan to keep the same level of cooling as the Delta fan but more air means more noise.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
When I was using a fop38, I didn't have to pull the heatsink. Just use a good pair of needle nose pliers. You can't use the large pair, it's got to be one made for 'delicate' work. Just cram it on there, and make sure the blades spin without hitting anything.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got an A7V with the little voltage board running along side it. I figure I'll be better off putting Dynamat on the case walls.

Your Signature Sucks

G

Thanks for all the different and fast response. I have attached a 80mm fan on it. But I have notice that the temperature is getting up at least 4-6 degree from the FOP38. I guess it might either when I put the heatsink back where the paste got smer everywhere or the fan I have is too weak. I will probably try cleaning out the paste and re-seat it again and see if that helps.

Also, what kind of 80mm fan are most of everyone else using that did this setup.

Either way, thanks and the setup is so much quietier than before.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't actually do the mod, myself. I just passed on the link. 4-5 degrees higher puts your cooler in FOP32 territory. You didn't say what temperatures you are getting but it is quiet which is what you requested.

I have an Enermax 80mm fan that seems pretty powerful. I'll see if I can find the specs on it. It has a useless thermal sensor/switch which brings the fan up to full speed at 85 degrees C but this can be defeated by cutting and shunting the leads. The fan must be designed for a power supply. Keeps my case nice and cool, though.

Better than the Enermax, I think Delta has has a 4800 RPM 80mm fan. This should be an excellent compromise to low noise and good cooling.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep, it's gonna run hotter with the 80 on it. I've heard of someone making a drop duct for it, with a pvc joint reducer. I guess you'd just have to use a little superglue to get it stable; no need to drill really.

You can get slightly better results using a case 120 and drop duct it from the side panel to the heatsink. More than likely, you'd have to use an AC fan to get it quiet enough with the airspeed you're looking for.