Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Game recommendations..

Last response: in Video Games
May 2, 2012 8:10:24 PM

I'm looking to buy a kick ass gaming PC in the next couple of months and I'm looking for game recommendations that are unique to the PC.... I used to play PC games but for the last 10 years I've been purely a console gamer...Looking for anything that stands apart on the PC compared to consoles..I like all sorts of games however not sure I want to get into MMO games because of the monthly costs etc. Thanks!

More about : game recommendations

a b 4 Gaming
May 2, 2012 9:00:03 PM

There are F2P MMOs and there's also MMOs with 1 purchase fee only (no monthly fee after), Guild Wars being one of such games.

As far recommending PC exclusives:

Half-Life 2
Starcraft 2
Portal 1&2
Witcher 1&2
Battlefield 3 (I know it's not exclusive but it's way better on PC than xbox)
Metro 2033
Stalker series

I'm out of ideas for now. The PC really shines over consoles in RTS and MMO genre.
m
l
May 2, 2012 9:15:34 PM

If you're into RTS, then pick up Shogun 2.

If you like turn based strategy pick up Civ 5.

If you're into survival horror / adventure, try Amnesia; The Dark Descent (buy extra underwear though). Incredible atmosphere.

If you like multiplayer fps games, then get:
- Tribes: Ascend (old school pc gaming in a new skin - free to play)
- Blacklight Retribution (surprisingly fun, also free to play)
- Planetside 2 - not released yet, but keep it on your radar because it is looking incredible (and will also be free to play)
- BF3 - as AntiZig said, waaaaayyyy better on pc
- Team Fortress 2 is also big on pc, although I have never really gotten into it.

m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 9:44:10 PM

Cheers! Yeah The Witcher looks cool and Guild Wars sounds good..Will defo try Amnesia amd maybe BF3 even though I suck at fps multiplayer!
m
l
May 3, 2012 1:42:38 PM

AntiZig said:
There are F2P MMOs and there's also MMOs with 1 purchase fee only (no monthly fee after), Guild Wars being one of such games.

Half-Life 2
Starcraft 2
Portal 1&2
Witcher 1&2
Metro 2033
Stalker series

I'm out of ideas for now. The PC really shines over consoles in RTS and MMO genre.

Is the Witcher a game where it's worth playing the 1st one or do u think jumping right into the 2nd is fine? Thanks.
m
l
May 3, 2012 2:24:53 PM

AntiZig said:

Half-Life 2
Starcraft 2
Portal 1&2
Witcher 1&2
Metro 2033
Stalker series

Portal 1 & 2, and Half life 2, are both available on the xbox. Not exclusive at all. Same with Metro

That being said, your main PC exclusive is of course ultra/extreme graphics settings :D 
m
l
May 4, 2012 10:48:16 AM

Battlefield 3 is waaay better like the other guys said. If you like RTSs buy Shogun 2 or Starcraft 2. If you like MMOs buy World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2 (hasnt been released yet). Witcher 2 is amazing too and you can play for free League of Legends,Team Fortress 2 and lots of MMOs! :) 
m
l
May 4, 2012 5:52:32 PM

heids24 said:
If you're into RTS, then pick up Shogun 2.

If you like turn based strategy pick up Civ 5.

If you're into survival horror / adventure, try Amnesia; The Dark Descent (buy extra underwear though). Incredible atmosphere.

If you like multiplayer fps games, then get:
- Tribes: Ascend (old school pc gaming in a new skin - free to play)
- Blacklight Retribution (surprisingly fun, also free to play)
- Planetside 2 - not released yet, but keep it on your radar because it is looking incredible (and will also be free to play)
- BF3 - as AntiZig said, waaaaayyyy better on pc
- Team Fortress 2 is also big on pc, although I have never really gotten into it.

Perfect suggestions, I would add Minecraft into the mix and maybe a Heroes of Might and Magic game. (which ever one they are on now a days)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 6:06:20 PM

Ryuzaki_L said:
Perfect suggestions, I would add Minecraft into the mix and maybe a Heroes of Might and Magic game. (which ever one they are on now a days)

they are on 6 now.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:09:20 PM

AntiZig said:
they are on 6 now.

Is F.E.A.R. 3 worth a go?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 7:08:30 PM

well, personally, I haven't bothered with it. I played Fear 1 and that was the end of it for me. The game looked decent for its time, it had some spooky things but besides that the story wasn't all that engaging and as an FPS it wasn't that fantastic either. Reviews for Fear 2 have been wish wash, and I decided against spending my time on Fear 2 and by extrapolation same happened with Fear 3.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:19:31 PM

AntiZig said:
well, personally, I haven't bothered with it. I played Fear 1 and that was the end of it for me. The game looked decent for its time, it had some spooky things but besides that the story wasn't all that engaging and as an FPS it wasn't that fantastic either. Reviews for Fear 2 have been wish wash, and I decided against spending my time on Fear 2 and by extrapolation same happened with Fear 3.

Yeah fair enough..I think Amnesia will be a better bet for a spooky dark FPS. Thanks.
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:51:17 AM

maybe Skyrim? not sure, Im a console player myself :) 
m
l
May 5, 2012 11:08:35 AM

Need Help_71 said:
maybe Skyrim? not sure, Im a console player myself :) 

Yeah im a console player too but soon to be pc player also...skyrim looks great but it will eat my life if i get it! Such a huge game.
m
l

Best solution

May 5, 2012 11:58:16 AM

AntiZig made some excellent recommendations for ya. :) 

The Witcher Enhanced Edition ( This the the first Witcher with all the extras and I would recommend you playing it before part 2 as your savegame does affect how things play out in the sequel. The game still holds it's own even now and there is a texture overhaul mod on www.moddb.com that enhances things further. )

Elder Scrolls Skyrim ( I would get this even if you have it for console as the Skyrim Nexus mod community, and well as the Steam Workshop has literally hundreds of amazing mods that make it completely unique to the console version of it. )

Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas (yes, it's available on console but once again as above, the Fallout Nexus Community makes it worthwhile to get it for PC )

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning ( Fable-esque game but better in everything especially the combat system. Also looks amazing on PC in comparison to console. )

F.E.A.R 3 ( Definitely skip part 2 of this game and play part 1 and play 3 as it's sequel. It is a lot of fun. The game is once again creepy vs it adopting a pure shooter mentality in part 2. It reminds me of the Highlander film and how it basically ignored everything that happened in the second film )

Things to look forward to:
Guild Wars II
Far Cry 3
Torchlight 2
Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition

May 7, 2012 12:29:43 PM

What about Dead Space 1 and 2? Left for Dead 2? Agreed, they're on the consoles as well, but c'mon....the PC kicks the console's a** in these titles!!
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:50:21 PM

namelessonez said:
What about Dead Space 1 and 2? Left for Dead 2? Agreed, they're on the consoles as well, but c'mon....the PC kicks the console's a** in these titles!!

Yeah I've never played Left for Dead so yeah might check that out..Thanks.
m
l
May 8, 2012 8:32:28 PM

tekmage said:
AntiZig made some excellent recommendations for ya. :) 

The Witcher Enhanced Edition ( This the the first Witcher with all the extras and I would recommend you playing it before part 2 as your savegame does affect how things play out in the sequel. The game still holds it's own even now and there is a texture overhaul mod on www.moddb.com that enhances things further. )

Elder Scrolls Skyrim ( I would get this even if you have it for console as the Skyrim Nexus mod community, and well as the Steam Workshop has literally hundreds of amazing mods that make it completely unique to the console version of it. )

Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas (yes, it's available on console but once again as above, the Fallout Nexus Community makes it worthwhile to get it for PC )

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning ( Fable-esque game but better in everything especially the combat system. Also looks amazing on PC in comparison to console. )

F.E.A.R 3 ( Definitely skip part 2 of this game and play part 1 and play 3 as it's sequel. It is a lot of fun. The game is once again creepy vs it adopting a pure shooter mentality in part 2. It reminds me of the Highlander film and how it basically ignored everything that happened in the second film )

Things to look forward to:
Guild Wars II
Far Cry 3
Torchlight 2
Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition

What's your take on Diablo 3 excitement? I never played Diablo 2 but reading about 3 it sounds like a lot of fun. Thinking about making it my first PC game I get once I get my rig...Maybe that and The Witcher series. Cheers.
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:04:17 PM

I really loved Daiblo and Diablo II , well as the expansion but after waiting over a decade for Diablo 3.. I'm actually not enticed by the clickfest that is Diablo anymore. I tried the beta to see if it was something I was still interested in but I didn't find myself being impressed by it. The major turnoff for me I think is the fact that the game will only support cooperative play through battlenet and the revamp of the skill system. One of the things I enjoyed about Diablo was that you had to make a choice every level on what you felt was relevant to your character. It's configured now so you automatically gain abilities every level, your health points, and specialty energy , stats are all determined for you.. I just felt like everything was automatic.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:24:05 AM

tekmage said:
I really loved Daiblo and Diablo II , well as the expansion but after waiting over a decade for Diablo 3.. I'm actually not enticed by the clickfest that is Diablo anymore. I tried the beta to see if it was something I was still interested in but I didn't find myself being impressed by it. The major turnoff for me I think is the fact that the game will only support cooperative play through battlenet and the revamp of the skill system. One of the things I enjoyed about Diablo was that you had to make a choice every level on what you felt was relevant to your character. It's configured now so you automatically gain abilities every level, your health points, and specialty energy , stats are all determined for you.. I just felt like everything was automatic.

OK good to know, thanks. Maybe I'll try a demo first if they bring one out.
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:16:47 AM

Best answer selected by octoberhungry.
m
l
September 27, 2012 6:58:34 PM

I am playing all type of PC games for last 10 years and far most best game is Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. It is kind of Dragon age 2 and oblivion butt for me far greater because of every aspect of the game.Graphics is AWESOME and possibility in game are endless from crafting potions, weapons and everything that you can imagine. Only negative is that is taking my life away because i can easily lost in this world for 5-6 hours without even knowing how much time is passed.Highly addictive game and i would reccomend it to everyone.
m
l
!