New Idea

G

Today I was in a hardware store and I saw this stuff for polishing silver. It's this cotton wool which puts a layer of new silver over the old one. Seeing as silver is such a good heat conductor why not use it on a heatsink.

If I coat the heatsink in silver I think it will perform better. I'm getting some new kit this week so I'm going to try it when it arrives. If anyone has tried this please give info.

If anyone trys this and it fcuks up PLEASE dont blame me.

"Alcohol - The Cause of and solution to all of lifes problems" - Homer Simpson

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ideally you would want the silver to be thick enough to tranfer all the heat across the bottom of the heatsink at the same rate as output. So I don't know how well such a thin coating will work, but try it and find out!

Suicide is painless...........

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
well, that seems like a good idea. Even if it isn't a thick layer, it should transfer the heat to the far reaches of the baseplate of the heatsink. Tell us if it works out for you. I'm interested.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Now all you need is the melting point of silver, and an oxygen/nitrogen free environment in which to render it down. You can also cool it down quickly with a sealable die and a couple of gallons of icewater.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a plan, a freind of mine is going to get me a block of copper dang near pure 60x60x60 going to use a very fine band saw to carve out the fins and sand the bottom to a pollish will let yall know the results when I have it compleated.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
hmm - very heavy methinks? Crushed cpu me wonders? Mind you - if it works - you'll be a hero. Well, sort of.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm- I think you'll find this tough. 'Applying' silver is not going to work very well on something that is not siver. You could try electroplating it using a battery and immersing it in the solution though. I think you'll find that the thermal quality of the interface between your 'silver' and the HS will be worse than that on the cpu to HS though. Try extreme pressure to ensure good contact.

What the heck - give it a go

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
hey, I made my own heatsink! out of aluminum! and i'm using it on my graphics card!! :frown:

-----------------

All your RAMBUS are belong t............ ahh screw it

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Sure Griz, but 'nicebutdim' here is going to try machining it out of a solid block of pure copper. I seem to recall coppers a bit heavier than aluminum...

I'm thinking about my GeForceUltra and how to get it cooler now. thinking bigger heatsinks, v.s. fans v.s active cooling. If I broke it, it would be an excuse to get the GeForce3 hehe.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The wieght of the hs is a shipping concern the clip pressure is what I need to watch to much and crunch goes the core to little and it will not cool at max potential. Also got some washers that are just the right size to fit around the pads to prevent the hs from rocking back and forth on the core.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
so, I machined it out of a block of pure aluminum. took 11 hours. (had to go slow so i didn't break any bits)

-----------------

All your RAMBUS are belong t............ ahh screw it

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes I was planning on spending some serious time on this but in the end it will be worth it a kick but heatsink for no money just my time.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I recently got 6 Pentium 90's with the old stock intel coolers, which I am planning to put on the ram of my next videocard, they all have little active cooling fans hehe, i cant wait to see how high the ram oc will go.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I actually thought of electroplating my heatsink and cpu die with silver (not too sure if the die thing would be safe, would have bought an old $10 cpu to try it out on), but then I remembered that electroplating with silver is very difficult to do. First of all, silver compounds don't like to ionize in water, and the common ones that do (AgNO3 for example), don't allow for good electroplating for some reason having to do with the electron configuration I think. If you're gonna electroplate anything, it'd probably have to be with copper.

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.

Latest posts