Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Computers
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
May 2, 2012 9:41:52 PM

Hello People

My name is Andre and I'm interested in starting PC gaming my main concerns i'm afraid when i start is when or when not to upgrade my computer.the current computer I have is an HP Pavilion desktop p6310y it's about two years old got it in 2010 and would like to upgrade it to play the the latest today games on either max or ultra settings. the other concern is if my computer is unable to become a gaming machine how can i determine if i should buy a pre-build computer and a custom made build now i'm not looking for you should build it yourself thing that's not me i just want to be lead in the right direction on what to do.

Right now my eyes are set on the alienware x51 desktop and it kinda reminds me of a Xbox system and i'm a console gamer it doesn't look complicated at all and is just right.

So with that said can i please here some thought,suggestions,advice on how to begin my pc journey also side not,my budget is under 1.000 thanks.

More about : gaming advice experts

May 2, 2012 10:26:06 PM

that base unit is pretty much just junk in gaming terms...
it does have a basic quad core which is a start as its 1 of the better athlons.
you will however need a gpu and a power supply. the 560ti will allow high settings and is about as much as your cpu can handle. psu you want a minimum of a 550w quality unit, the 1 from corsair is less than 70 i think and its between 150 and 200 for the gfx...
both are easy to install and should give little in the way of hassle...
dont waste your money on that alienware, they are overpriced garbage. yes they have good specs but the parts are all cheaper versions of the proper 1s. and build quality is less than stellar.
if you want you can add cooling with a decent case and a 3rd party cooler... something like a hyper 212 for the cooler, 25, and a coolermaster storm case 60.

btw im in the uk so prices are pounds... if you want dollars add 1/4-1/3 again.
m
l
May 2, 2012 10:37:08 PM

HEXiT said:
that base unit is pretty much just junk in gaming terms...
it does have a basic quad core which is a start as its 1 of the better athlons.
you will however need a gpu and a power supply. the 560ti will allow high settings and is about as much as your cpu can handle. psu you want a minimum of a 550w quality unit, the 1 from corsair is less than 70 i think and its between 150 and 200 for the gfx...
both are easy to install and should give little in the way of hassle...
dont waste your money on that alienware, they are overpriced garbage. yes they have good specs but the parts are all cheaper versions of the proper 1s. and build quality is less than stellar.
if you want you can add cooling with a decent case and a 3rd party cooler... something like a hyper 212 for the cooler, 25, and a coolermaster storm case 60.

btw im in the uk so prices are pounds... if you want dollars add 1/4-1/3 again.

seems like all the parts you suggest will cost some money and i don't think that's a good option let's say if i do want to go instead of buying the alienware x51 what could i do to upgrade it besides changing the card?
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 1:12:24 PM

I have to somewhat disagree with HeXit on your choice. I think you would do fine with x51 as long as you get the bigger/available external psu and a better video card. It should still be under your budget. I would recommend this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The power usage is ultra low vs Geforce cards of the same caliber.
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:13:11 PM

I do agree with HeXit on Alienware being somewhat overpriced but x51 series is definitely cheaper then majority of their alienware pcs though.
m
l
!