Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Star Wars The Old Republic help in regards to buying the game from UK?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Connection
  • Servers
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
May 3, 2012 10:13:12 AM

I want to buy Star Wars The Old Republic from the UK and ship it to Australia ( where i live) as it only cost $40 on the website but $70 in Australia. www.Ozgameshop.com
However the game is obviously a UK copy but for some reason it says that i will only be able to connect to UK/EU servers! Why is this? Just because the game the is from the UK doesn't mean it should only be able to connect to UK servers. Please help me as i have to order this weekend.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/star-wars-the-old-re...

I Know that this is a legit site as i have ordered my turtle beaches from there before and currently writing this while wearing them.

More about : star wars republic buying game

May 3, 2012 10:30:17 AM

I don't play the game but I would speculate its like the cheap eastern european BF3 copies people buy in that you will have to spoof it to thinking your in its target nation when you register it but after that you can do what you please.
m
l
May 3, 2012 10:32:25 AM

OK thanks. So when i register my location i just register UK or some EU country?
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 10:36:31 AM

Most games these days are made for the region they are sold in, buying outside of your region to reduce the price is frowned upon.

If you want a copy then you will have to buy it in your region or suffer with high ping/lag by connecting to servers on the other side of the world.
m
l
May 3, 2012 11:24:28 AM

Does Buying a time card that is a UK version also effect it or should i be right just buying time card in Australia as it is the same price.
m
l
May 3, 2012 11:47:48 AM

wr6133 said:
I don't play the game but I would speculate its like the cheap eastern european BF3 copies people buy in that you will have to spoof it to thinking your in its target nation when you register it but after that you can do what you please.

The cheap eastern European BF3 copies have had numerous problems as the game has gone through its updates, each update requiring that the game be re-patched with English language support after the official update has restored the install to its correct Russian language.

SWTOR is not the same as this however, In BF3 you pick what server you want to play on from a list of thousands all over the world. MMO's usually only have a handful of servers per region, a copy of the game brought as UK/EU region would only be able to join the servers in that local region. As with the time cards also I would imagine.

There is nothing preventing you from buying a UK copy and using a VPN to trick origin into thinking you are in the UK to activate the game. But you may well find that when it comes to playing on-line you will be locked onto a UK/EU server and you being so far away from that server would probably mean your ping would be to high resulting in a laggy game experience.
m
l
May 3, 2012 10:06:59 PM

There are next to no servers for Australia and i have read that most Australian players play on US servers. Why can i not just pick do the same?
m
l