Anybody using EVDO in New Orleans?

Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity of the
Superdome?

We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is charging
outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room areas ($1000.00 a
day!).

Thanks.

-- Paul
9 answers Last reply
More about anybody evdo orleans

    In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
    Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
    > Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
    > of the Superdome?
    >
    > We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
    > charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
    > areas ($1000.00 a day!).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -- Paul

    Which hotel?

    According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
    yet------

    "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
    > Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
    > > Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
    > > of the Superdome?
    > >
    > > We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
    > > charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
    > > areas ($1000.00 a day!).
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > -- Paul
    >
    > Which hotel?

    According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband

    "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
    > yet------
    >

    > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
    >> Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
    >> > Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
    >> > of the Superdome?
    >> >
    >> > We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
    >> > charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
    >> > areas ($1000.00 a day!).
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > -- Paul
    >>
    >> Which hotel?

    >> Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
    >> of the Superdome?
    >>
    >> We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
    >> charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
    >> areas ($1000.00 a day!).
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> -- Paul
    >
    > Which hotel?

    The Hyatt Superdome.

    Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago

    "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
    >
    > http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband
    >

    > "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
    > > yet------
    > >

    > > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >> In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
    > >> Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:

    > >> Which hotel?

    I think your confused but perhaps I am....
    1X is different than EVDO.
    1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but is
    much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.

    > Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
    >

    > "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
    >>
    >> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband
    >>

    >> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> > According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
    >> > yet------
    >> >

    >> > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    They have BOTH on the same plan.. Only works with the newer 5220 cards (and
    some new phones just announced). 1X and EVDO work sort of seamlessly, if you
    are in an EVDO area and travel into 1X, it drops to 1X speed, reverse also
    works.

    It is *NOT* only located in hotels like WiFi as some people on here persist
    on saying erroneously...

    The plan you get is NationalAccess *AND* BroadbandAccess. NA gives bursts up
    to 144k (avg 80), while BA gives bursts up to 2.4 meg (avg 500-600 k)

    Never tried it for a whole conference room full of people, just use it with
    a small webcam aimed at me while I watch the return video feed on my laptops
    screen.. Don't see why it wouldn't work I'm currently in Las Vegas and drove
    down the strip with the camera aimed out the front window (instead of at me)
    so my friends could see the strip as I drove around, and from the top of the
    stratosphere tower so they could see LV all around...

    Don't know how well it would work inside the dome though.. When in cement
    and steel buildings (or underground parking garages) here (where the signal
    isn't good enuf), it drops to 1X speeds.. Seems like inside a cement and
    steel structure you may end up with the same problem.

    John Mullaney wrote:
    > I think your confused but perhaps I am....
    > 1X is different than EVDO.
    > 1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but
    > is much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.
    >
    > "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
    >>

    >> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband
    >>>

    >>> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    Just saying "1X" by itself is the wrong term to use. Technically speaking:

    1xRTT is the "slow" 3G NationalAccess (144k at best). Available pretty
    much everywhere VZW has digital coverage.

    1xEVDO is the "fast" 3G BroadbandAccess (200k - 400k and beyond,
    theoretically) Available only in 30 major metro areas currently.

    -- Paul

    "John Mullaney" <john.mullaney@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I think your confused but perhaps I am....
    > 1X is different than EVDO.
    > 1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but is
    > much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.
    >
    > "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
    >>

    >> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband
    >>>

    >>> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    EVDO does work at the Hyatt, but the conference room most likely will not
    receive. In Jan. 05 I stayed at the Hyatt and my PC5220 in my hotel room
    received OK. You are right that the Hyatt charges are high for internet
    use.

    >>> Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
    >>> of the Superdome?
    >>>
    >>> We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
    >>> charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
    >>> areas ($1000.00 a day!).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> -- Paul
    >>
    >> Which hotel?
    >

    > The Hyatt Superdome.

Verizon Internet Access Internet Service Providers