Anybody using EVDO in New Orleans?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 11, 2005 3:29:52 PM

Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity of the
Superdome?

We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is charging
outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room areas ($1000.00 a
day!).

Thanks.

-- Paul

More about : evdo orleans

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:55:27 AM

In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
> Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
> of the Superdome?
>
> We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
> charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
> areas ($1000.00 a day!).
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Paul

Which hotel?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:36:43 PM

According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
yet------

"IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
> Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
> > Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
> > of the Superdome?
> >
> > We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
> > charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
> > areas ($1000.00 a day!).
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -- Paul
>
> Which hotel?

Related resources
February 14, 2005 1:22:44 PM

According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...

"FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
> yet------
>

> "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
>> Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:
>> > Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
>> > of the Superdome?
>> >
>> > We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
>> > charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
>> > areas ($1000.00 a day!).
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > -- Paul
>>
>> Which hotel?

February 14, 2005 1:26:04 PM

>> Has anybody tried EVDO in New Orleans, specifically in the vicinity
>> of the Superdome?
>>
>> We have a conference coming up in New Orleans and the hotel is
>> charging outrageous fees for internet access in the meeting room
>> areas ($1000.00 a day!).
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -- Paul
>
> Which hotel?

The Hyatt Superdome.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:41:33 PM

Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
>
> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...
>

> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
> > yet------
> >

> > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >> In news:110pqsoh50jk0de@news.supernews.com,
> >> Paul <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> typed:

> >> Which hotel?

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:08:28 PM

I think your confused but perhaps I am....
1X is different than EVDO.
1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but is
much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.

> Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
>

> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
>>
>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...
>>

>> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > According to Verizon's web site, EVDO is not available in New Orleans
>> > yet------
>> >

>> > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:08:29 PM

They have BOTH on the same plan.. Only works with the newer 5220 cards (and
some new phones just announced). 1X and EVDO work sort of seamlessly, if you
are in an EVDO area and travel into 1X, it drops to 1X speed, reverse also
works.

It is *NOT* only located in hotels like WiFi as some people on here persist
on saying erroneously...

The plan you get is NationalAccess *AND* BroadbandAccess. NA gives bursts up
to 144k (avg 80), while BA gives bursts up to 2.4 meg (avg 500-600 k)

Never tried it for a whole conference room full of people, just use it with
a small webcam aimed at me while I watch the return video feed on my laptops
screen.. Don't see why it wouldn't work I'm currently in Las Vegas and drove
down the strip with the camera aimed out the front window (instead of at me)
so my friends could see the strip as I drove around, and from the top of the
stratosphere tower so they could see LV all around...

Don't know how well it would work inside the dome though.. When in cement
and steel buildings (or underground parking garages) here (where the signal
isn't good enuf), it drops to 1X speeds.. Seems like inside a cement and
steel structure you may end up with the same problem.

John Mullaney wrote:
> I think your confused but perhaps I am....
> 1X is different than EVDO.
> 1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but
> is much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.
>
> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
>>

>> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
>>>
>>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...
>>>

>>> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

February 15, 2005 3:49:11 PM

Just saying "1X" by itself is the wrong term to use. Technically speaking:

1xRTT is the "slow" 3G NationalAccess (144k at best). Available pretty
much everywhere VZW has digital coverage.

1xEVDO is the "fast" 3G BroadbandAccess (200k - 400k and beyond,
theoretically) Available only in 30 major metro areas currently.

-- Paul

"John Mullaney" <john.mullaney@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I think your confused but perhaps I am....
> 1X is different than EVDO.
> 1X is what they have in New Orleans at this point. That will work but is
> much slower than EVDO and will get you close to 144K at peaks.
>
> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry, it wasn't there a few days ago
>>

>> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> According to VZW's website New Orleans *is* a 1xEVDO city:
>>>
>>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...
>>>

>>> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

March 1, 2005 5:03:36 AM

EVDO does work at the Hyatt, but the conference room most likely will not
receive. In Jan. 05 I stayed at the Hyatt and my PC5220 in my hotel room
received OK. You are right that the Hyatt charges are high for internet
use.

!