Probe says my Athlon 1000 is a 1200 ?

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I just got an Athlon 1000 2x133 FSB on an ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)
I have Probe V2.12.07 and am using a Super mini Orb to cool it.

Two qusetions:

1) When I go into Probe and look at Information/DMI Explorer/ and highlight Processor, The current CPU speed is 1000. The MAX speed is listed as 1200. Does this mean I have a 1200 that is underclocked @ 1000 ?

2)At 1000, my BIOS, Probe and SiSoft Sandra all say CPU is 50c and MoBo is 27c - was 35c until i put a draw fan in bottom front - CPU temp stayed the same. What temp should it be running at ?

Thanks,
-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Right - 1st thing, whatever Asus Probe is telling you, forget it. It's probably garbage. Good motherboards, s*it software.

Get yourself a copy of Motherboard Monitor. Mor comprehensive and you can calibrate it.

Sandra also gets a bit 'funny' with my A7V133 reporting memory and FSB settings. Waiting for the next version.

On temps - what I found was this. Bios and Sisoft agreed my actual temps were 10 degrees C lower than Asus probe (may not be same for you). I then bought a digital temp probe and found that temps were actually 3 degrees lower than bios/mbm and Sisoft thought too. ==> Asus probe was 13 degrees out!!!!

MBM has a calibration feature and so I can set the offset and see the results.

Currently my mobo runs at about 28 degrees (4 over ambient) and my cpu at 47 degrees fully loaded 24hrs+. This is a 1.33 running 11*142=1563Mhz aircooled.

Your temps are relative to the ambient temperatures and the efficiency of your components at exchanging heat. You could have a great heatsink/fan combination but if you are only feeding it warm air - it isn't going to work.

27 degrees seems reasonable for mobo temp, if your room is warmish. If it's winter and you have the windows open and your room is 10 degrees then you have a problem.

50degrees is a bit warm for a 1000 at stock, given your case/mobo temp. You may find a little arctic silver and copper shim help if you are not already using them. You really don't want to use the little pink pad you get on some heatsinks.

Upgrading your fan/heatsink may also help, but be careful - a lot of the high end coolers are LOUD!

Regards,

Pete

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Thanks for the tip !! I had heard that Probe was bad as far as Temp. reporting, but never heard any of the other reporting was bad. Where can I get a copy of Mother board monitor ?

I am getting another case fan today. Would it be better to put it drawing or pushing behind the CPU, or drawing or pushing above the power supply ?

Thanks,
-N-

AMD Thunderbird 1000 266 FSB
ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)
256 Megs SDRAM PC133
ASUS V7100 Geforce2 MX
17" Sceptre Dragon Eye D73A Monitor
30 Gig Quantum Fireball 7200 UDMA100
ATX Full Tower & 300 Watt PS
ACER X40 CD-ROM
Panasonic 8x4x32 CDRW
SB Live! Value
Altec Lansing ACS 33 Speakers & Sub

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Traditional thinking says pull the air in the front at the bottom and shove it out the back/up the top.

I have a fairly full case but have two intakes bottom front, 1 exhaust at back (CPU area), Top blow hole with fan, and the PSU doing it's bit.

It's doing okay with a 1.6GB athlon, GeForceUltra, 4xHDD and 2 cd/dvd drives and 450W psu in it I reckon.

Tried blowing in, instead of out, at the back but didn't help. I just ducted and used an old stock intel fan to help extract CPU heated air to the rear fan. A little cooler and a bit quieter too.

Oh yeah - if you have pre-cut holes, with large amounts of case still in them (like someone tried to make a grille with whats left of the sheet metal) cut it out and get a proper grille over it. Much better for airflow.

Um mbm from www.megagames.com is where I got the link from I think. Some other useful stuff there too.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Ok....I got the other puller fan in the back close to the cpu and also got mother board monitor. CPU STILL says 50c
I'll have to try the Arctic Silver\copper shim next as I would like to overclock at some point.

BTW....do you (or anyone) have 3 sensor's monitored with MBM on a ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)? If so....what are they ?

Tanx
-N-

ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)
256 Megs SDRAM PC133
ASUS V7100 Geforce2 MX
ACER X40 CD-ROM
Panasonic 8x4x32 CDRW
SB Live! Value

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
No idea - I _think_ the third is for PSU temperature if supported?

If your are not using it - arctic silver is good. I use a shim too, but am not convinced it helps cooling. Reassuring though if you have a heavy heatsink.

If another output fan has not helped, maybe you are not drawing enough in. Also, it helps if you can get a good extractor/blower on the cpu area (not into the fan) as sometimes strong cpu fans recycle air.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Ya...I messed around with the new rear fan yesterday. Had it pushing out and it did nothing. Tried having it pull air in on the cpu and it made it hotter by 2-3c. I think it was just sucking in the hot air that the Power supply was blowing out.

Did see that after about 1 hour of playing UT my heat only went up to 56-57c. I would have thought it would have been much more. I have to work 2 12 hour shifts Mon-Tues, but will get some Actic Silver Wed. and see if that helps.

Thanks,
-N-

ASUS A7V133 (KT133A)
256 Megs SDRAM PC133
ASUS V7100 Geforce2 MX
ACER X40 CD-ROM
Panasonic 8x4x32 CDRW
SB Live! Value

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
well - i think part of the take on this is that the superorb (mini, golden, chrome or otherwise) ain't up to the job...

From what I have read _not_ experienced, a lot of people are figuring them for junk. I was lucky and got a Swiftech 370 with delta fan. Noisier than I'd like, but damn good at cooling.