underclocking - passive cooling?

G

I'm looking for a way to get my system as quite as possible.
that's why I came up with the idea of underclocking my CPU so it shouldn't run so hot and could be cooled by a passive heatsink. I was thinking of underclocking my TB 900 to something like 500Mhz.
does anyone have experience with underclocking? how big should a heatsink be to cool enough w/o a fan?
any input is highly welcome.

respect!

mpjesse

Splendid
Underclocking is not a problem- it's as easy as overclocking. However, simply putting a heatsink with no fan will not work. The voltage will still be the same making the temp. almost the same. You'll notice that whenever you increase the voltage of a CPU- is when the heat kicks in. My T-bird 800mhz is overclocked to 1Ghz- there is no difference in temperature betweeen the two clock speeds. It runs at 36C full load regardless if it's 800mhz or 1Ghz. Catch my drift? If I'm not mistaken all T-birds start out at 1.71 Volts up to 1Ghz... 1Ghz is like 1.75.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's a better way to do what you're wanting. Build an outer 'shroud' for your computer case, complete with dynamat and nylon webbing. It will be compeletly silent, except for a small 'whistle' of air. You can minimize that by openeing vent holes on the back side of it, away from where you sit.