Can't fax as user with limited rights

Hi,
I'm using (a dutch version of) windowsxp personal edition, sp1 and
microsoft fax-service / faxconsole 5.1.

On this PC 4 users have been defined: 1 having full system management
rights; the other 3 have limited rights.

When I 'print' to the fax (for instance in Word) having system management
rights, everything goes well.

However problems occur when I try to fax as a user with limited rights.
Everything seems to go ok, but the actual fax sending doesn't start. And
there is no mentioning of the fax in the fax console either.

However, when I reboot and log on with system management rights. the fax
sending starts of right away (and the fax appears in the fax console as
well).

This seems a 'rights' problem. Does anyone have an idear what to change
(for instance in the registry) so I can send faxes as a user with limited
rights?

André
4 answers Last reply
More about user limited rights

    Did you read the Help files? There is an extensive discussion of permissions
    there and what each user group can do. You cannot override those settings.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "André" <remove xme@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm using (a dutch version of) windowsxp personal edition, sp1 and
    > microsoft fax-service / faxconsole 5.1.
    >
    > On this PC 4 users have been defined: 1 having full system management
    > rights; the other 3 have limited rights.
    >
    > When I 'print' to the fax (for instance in Word) having system management
    > rights, everything goes well.
    >
    > However problems occur when I try to fax as a user with limited rights.
    > Everything seems to go ok, but the actual fax sending doesn't start. And
    > there is no mentioning of the fax in the fax console either.
    >
    > However, when I reboot and log on with system management rights. the fax
    > sending starts of right away (and the fax appears in the fax console as
    > well).
    >
    > This seems a 'rights' problem. Does anyone have an idear what to change
    > (for instance in the registry) so I can send faxes as a user with limited
    > rights?
    >
    > André

    Russ,
    it's obvious that I didn't do that. I simply didn't expect it to find it
    there.

    Thanks a lot

    André

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> schreef in bericht
    > Did you read the Help files? There is an extensive discussion of
    permissions
    > there and what each user group can do. You cannot override those settings.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "André" <remove xme@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm using (a dutch version of) windowsxp personal edition, sp1 and
    > > microsoft fax-service / faxconsole 5.1.
    > >
    > > On this PC 4 users have been defined: 1 having full system management
    > > rights; the other 3 have limited rights.
    > >
    > > When I 'print' to the fax (for instance in Word) having system
    management
    > > rights, everything goes well.
    > >
    > > However problems occur when I try to fax as a user with limited rights.
    > > Everything seems to go ok, but the actual fax sending doesn't start. And
    > > there is no mentioning of the fax in the fax console either.
    > >
    > > However, when I reboot and log on with system management rights. the fax
    > > sending starts of right away (and the fax appears in the fax console as
    > > well).
    > >
    > > This seems a 'rights' problem. Does anyone have an idear what to change
    > > (for instance in the registry) so I can send faxes as a user with
    limited
    > > rights?
    > >
    > > André

    Did you try setting the appropriate permissions from the Security tab of Fax
    printer properties?

    --
    Vibha Rathi
    Microsoft Printing, Imaging & Fax Team

    purposes only.'

    > Russ,
    > it's obvious that I didn't do that. I simply didn't expect it to find it
    > there.
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > André
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> schreef in bericht
    > > Did you read the Help files? There is an extensive discussion of
    > permissions
    > > there and what each user group can do. You cannot override those
    settings.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "André" <remove xme@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I'm using (a dutch version of) windowsxp personal edition, sp1 and
    > > > microsoft fax-service / faxconsole 5.1.
    > > >
    > > > On this PC 4 users have been defined: 1 having full system management
    > > > rights; the other 3 have limited rights.
    > > >
    > > > When I 'print' to the fax (for instance in Word) having system
    > management
    > > > rights, everything goes well.
    > > >
    > > > However problems occur when I try to fax as a user with limited
    rights.
    > > > Everything seems to go ok, but the actual fax sending doesn't start.
    And
    > > > there is no mentioning of the fax in the fax console either.
    > > >
    > > > However, when I reboot and log on with system management rights. the
    fax
    > > > sending starts of right away (and the fax appears in the fax console
    as
    > > > well).
    > > >
    > > > This seems a 'rights' problem. Does anyone have an idear what to
    change
    > > > (for instance in the registry) so I can send faxes as a user with
    > limited
    > > > rights?
    > > >
    > > > André

    So there is no way to let limited users fax? My users were able to fax, but
    it seems after one of the security updates the rights were taken away.

Fax Microsoft T-Fax Windows XP