will a 200gb hd work in Compaq S4020WM ?

euclid

Staples has some 200GB hard drives on sale, but will it work in my Compaq
S4020WM purchased at Walmart a little over a year ago?
-E

hh

Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

"Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
> Staples has some 200GB hard drives on sale, but will it work in my Compaq
> S4020WM purchased at Walmart a little over a year ago?
> -E

euclid

OK, thanks, I'll probably get one at Staples tomorrow and try it. I'd really
like to have a SCSI drive for my op system but don't know enough about the
technical factors nor whether my computer could handle it.
-E

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
> HH
>
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>> Staples has some 200GB hard drives on sale, but will it work in my Compaq
>> S4020WM purchased at Walmart a little over a year ago?
>> -E

SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its uses.
This just isn't one of them.

Tom
> OK, thanks, I'll probably get one at Staples tomorrow and try it. I'd
> really like to have a SCSI drive for my op system but don't know enough
> about the technical factors nor whether my computer could handle it.
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>> Staples has some 200GB hard drives on sale, but will it work in my
>>> Compaq S4020WM purchased at Walmart a little over a year ago?
>>> -E

hh

Another point. Most PCs won't boot from a SCSI drive if there is an IDE
drive present.
HH

> SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
> uses. This just isn't one of them.
>
> Tom
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>> OK, thanks, I'll probably get one at Staples tomorrow and try it. I'd
>> really like to have a SCSI drive for my op system but don't know enough
>> about the technical factors nor whether my computer could handle it.
>> -E
>>
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

euclid

OK, I figured there were technical problems, but it would benefit me if I
had one. The IDE drives are too slow and unreliable for one of my database
applications that has constant heavy disk access. The experts with that
application software recommended the faster SCSI drives as the only possible
solution. Of course they're mostly university professors running
unix-related op systems, not windows.

> Another point. Most PCs won't boot from a SCSI drive if there is an IDE
> drive present.
> HH

>> SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
>> uses. This just isn't one of them.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>> OK, thanks, I'll probably get one at Staples tomorrow and try it. I'd
>>> really like to have a SCSI drive for my op system but don't know enough
>>> about the technical factors nor whether my computer could handle it.
>>> -E
>>>
>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The experts are idiots.

If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a separate
controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.

SCSI is so last year.
> OK, I figured there were technical problems, but it would benefit me if I
> had one. The IDE drives are too slow and unreliable for one of my database
> applications that has constant heavy disk access. The experts with that
> application software recommended the faster SCSI drives as the only
> possible solution. Of course they're mostly university professors running
> unix-related op systems, not windows.
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Another point. Most PCs won't boot from a SCSI drive if there is an IDE
>> drive present.
>> HH
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
>>> uses. This just isn't one of them.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

Perhpas I'll get the chance to test your opinion at some point--my SCSI at this
point still out performs my 7200 RPM IDE when paying avi files that are
processed by my encoder video card out to NTSC. Playback studders with the
7200 IDE--perhaps the 10,000 is enough to do the job. I'd welcome loosing the
SCSI card and HDD, simplifing the setup in my PC to one or two large IDEs....

Dale

I'd be surprised if your hard drive was the limiting factor. I record DVD
quality video and play it back off a 5400rpm drive in an external USB2 case
and it plays flawlessly.

Tom
"DEJ57" <dej57@aol.com> wrote in message
> Perhpas I'll get the chance to test your opinion at some point--my SCSI at
> this
> point still out performs my 7200 RPM IDE when paying avi files that are
> processed by my encoder video card out to NTSC. Playback studders with
> the
> 7200 IDE--perhaps the 10,000 is enough to do the job. I'd welcome loosing
> the
> SCSI card and HDD, simplifing the setup in my PC to one or two large
> IDEs....
>
> Dale

Excellent point. May well be the 1996 16 bit capture/encoder video card I
use--but I can get smooth playback using the SCSI Quantum Vicking II--heck, had
it so long now I don't remember what its rotation speed is--likely 10,000...but
the 7200 IDE studders occasionally....when I got the SCSI way back when (1997)
it was to get video playback working smoothly with the above video card in my
4112--a 133/60 MHZ, 96 RAM, and 10,000 in IDE was unheard of, at least by
me....

Dale

euclid

> If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a
> separate
> controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.

I've looked but can't find anyplace to order 10K IDE drives. I see them
mentioned in reviews only, so they must be very new. Got any links to retail
suppliers?
-E

hh

Try here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

>> If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a
>> separate
>> controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.
>
> I've looked but can't find anyplace to order 10K IDE drives. I see them
> mentioned in reviews only, so they must be very new. Got any links to
> retail suppliers?
> -E

euclid

Thanks. It looks like only Western Digital makes the 10K IDE drives, and
calls them Raptors...
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM
Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: High Performance SATA Interface
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Reading the reviews brings up several possible technical problems. For
example a SATA cable is required. I have no idea what that means, nor how it
will modify my computer. At present I have a cable which has a middle
connector for the slave drive, and would want the same. They also talk about
needing different drivers, and that the SATA drive won't work with some
motherboards or will require a special BIOS. That creates another big
research project, I suppose, which may put it beyond my capability or
interest. I'd like to have the speed, but can't stomach too many technical
uncertainties out of the gate...

> Try here:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>
> HH
>
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>
>>> If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a
>>> separate
>>> controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.
>>
>> I've looked but can't find anyplace to order 10K IDE drives. I see them
>> mentioned in reviews only, so they must be very new. Got any links to
>> retail suppliers?
>> -E

hh

You would likely have to buy a PCI SATA controller card, since your Presario
onboard controller is an IDE controller. The SATA cable is round and uses a
much smaller connector. New Egg has the controller cards and cables, too.
Try here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-124-101&depa=1

> Thanks. It looks like only Western Digital makes the 10K IDE drives, and
> calls them Raptors...
> Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM
> Drive Only
> Specifications:
> Capacity: 74GB
> Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
> Buffer: 8MB
> Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
> Interface: Serial ATA
> Features: High Performance SATA Interface
> Packaging: OEM Drive Only
>
> Reading the reviews brings up several possible technical problems. For
> example a SATA cable is required. I have no idea what that means, nor how
> it will modify my computer. At present I have a cable which has a middle
> connector for the slave drive, and would want the same. They also talk
> about needing different drivers, and that the SATA drive won't work with
> some motherboards or will require a special BIOS. That creates another big
> research project, I suppose, which may put it beyond my capability or
> interest. I'd like to have the speed, but can't stomach too many technical
> uncertainties out of the gate...
> -E
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Try here:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>>
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

>>> I've looked but can't find anyplace to order 10K IDE drives. I see them
>>> mentioned in reviews only, so they must be very new. Got any links to
>>> retail suppliers?
>>> -E

euclid

I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card and
cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works. After doing
some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only comes in SCSI. Of
course you'd have to be a university professor to afford one, I suppose.
(I'm not.)

> You would likely have to buy a PCI SATA controller card, since your
> Presario onboard controller is an IDE controller. The SATA cable is round
> and uses a much smaller connector. New Egg has the controller cards and
> cables, too. Try here:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-124-101&depa=1
>
> HH
>
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>> Thanks. It looks like only Western Digital makes the 10K IDE drives, and
>> calls them Raptors...
>> Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM
>> Drive Only
>> Specifications:
>> Capacity: 74GB
>> Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
>> Buffer: 8MB
>> Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
>> Interface: Serial ATA
>> Features: High Performance SATA Interface
>> Packaging: OEM Drive Only
>>
>> Reading the reviews brings up several possible technical problems. For
>> example a SATA cable is required. I have no idea what that means, nor how
>> it will modify my computer. At present I have a cable which has a middle
>> connector for the slave drive, and would want the same. They also talk
>> about needing different drivers, and that the SATA drive won't work with
>> some motherboards or will require a special BIOS. That creates another
>> big research project, I suppose, which may put it beyond my capability or
>> interest. I'd like to have the speed, but can't stomach too many
>> technical uncertainties out of the gate...
>> -E
>>

>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Try here:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>>>
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

hh

Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced itself
right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got faster and
more reliable.

>I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
>confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
>and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works. After
>doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only comes in
>SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to afford one, I
>suppose. (I'm not.)
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You would likely have to buy a PCI SATA controller card, since your
>> Presario onboard controller is an IDE controller. The SATA cable is round
>> and uses a much smaller connector. New Egg has the controller cards and
>> cables, too. Try here:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-124-101&depa=1
>>
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>> Thanks. It looks like only Western Digital makes the 10K IDE drives, and
>>> calls them Raptors...
>>> Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD,
>>> OEM Drive Only
>>> Specifications:
>>> Capacity: 74GB
>>> Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
>>> Buffer: 8MB
>>> Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
>>> Interface: Serial ATA
>>> Features: High Performance SATA Interface
>>> Packaging: OEM Drive Only
>>>
>>> Reading the reviews brings up several possible technical problems. For
>>> example a SATA cable is required. I have no idea what that means, nor
>>> how it will modify my computer. At present I have a cable which has a
>>> middle connector for the slave drive, and would want the same. They also
>>> talk about needing different drivers, and that the SATA drive won't work
>>> with some motherboards or will require a special BIOS. That creates
>>> another big research project, I suppose, which may put it beyond my
>>> capability or interest. I'd like to have the speed, but can't stomach
>>> too many technical uncertainties out of the gate...
>>> -E
>>>

>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

euclid

Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to about
150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database is
accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light remains
on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity constantly -
for many hours, constantly.

As a little background...
The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into the
7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end of a
game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to access these
Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the engine
calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted effort,
because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute the
Tablebase data.

How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more than
7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm SCSI drives
can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.

Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of a
terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year or
two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison, and the
problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly enormous.

> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced itself
> right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got faster
> and more reliable.
> HH
>
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
>>confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
>>and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works. After
>>doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only comes in
>>SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to afford one, I
>>suppose. (I'm not.)
>> -E
>>
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You would likely have to buy a PCI SATA controller card, since your
>>> Presario onboard controller is an IDE controller. The SATA cable is
>>> round and uses a much smaller connector. New Egg has the controller
>>> cards and cables, too. Try here:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-124-101&depa=1
>>>
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

hh

Quick questions. What, if anything, is runing in the background when you try
to run the database? If anything, have you disabled same before starting? Do
you have MS Office installed? If so is Findfast enabled? Is indexing
enabled for the drive/volume? The drive is NTFS, correct? Defrag regularly?
Delete temp internet files regularly?

> Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
> It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to about
> 150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database is
> accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light remains
> on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity
> constantly - for many hours, constantly.
>
> As a little background...
> The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
> remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into
> the 7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end
> of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to access
> these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the engine
> calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted effort,
> because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute the
> Tablebase data.
>
> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm SCSI
> drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>
> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
> too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of a
> terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year or
> two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison, and
> the problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly enormous.
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
>> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced
>> itself right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got
>> faster and more reliable.
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>>I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
>>>confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
>>>and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works.
>>>After doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only
>>>comes in SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to
>>>afford one, I suppose. (I'm not.)
>>> -E
>>>
>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

hh

Another question. Have you thought about installing an IDE Raid controller
card and setting up a 2-drive for performance?
HH

"Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
> Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
> It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to about
> 150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database is
> accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light remains
> on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity
> constantly - for many hours, constantly.
>
> As a little background...
> The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
> remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into
> the 7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end
> of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to access
> these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the engine
> calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted effort,
> because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute the
> Tablebase data.
>
> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm SCSI
> drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>
> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
> too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of a
> terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year or
> two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison, and
> the problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly enormous.
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
>> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced
>> itself right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got
>> faster and more reliable.
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>>I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
>>>confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
>>>and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works.
>>>After doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only
>>>comes in SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to
>>>afford one, I suppose. (I'm not.)
>>> -E
>>>
>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

euclid

> Quick questions. What, if anything, is runing in the background when you
> try to run the database?
Closing down my anti-virus and firewall have no effect on this problem, and
there's nothing else significant running in the background. Note that my
chess analysis engine software normally runs with 100% processor usage.
That's the software which accesses the Tablebases, so it's necessary.

> If anything, have you disabled same before starting?
N/A

> Do you have MS Office installed?
No.

> If so is Findfast enabled?
N/A

> Is indexing enabled for the drive/volume?
No.

> The drive is NTFS, correct?
Yes.

> Defrag regularly?
Yes.

> Delete temp internet files regularly?
Yes. They are deleted automatically when I exit IE.

> Have you thought about installing an IDE Raid controller card and setting
> up a 2-drive for performance?
Duh...no...and have no idea what's involved.
I have a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card on my shelf, if that would do
it? I used it in a former computer, but haven't had any reason to put it in
this Compaq S4020WM.

My only "Lone Ranger hunch" is that Compaq may have disabled the DDR feature
of RAM on this S4020WM. It has DDR RAM installed, however the benchmarks
(with Everest) show it as a speed typical of ordinary PC (non-DDR) RAM. So I
guess the problem could be RAM speed, at least partly. At the same time
Compaq hid all of those kinds of special settings in the BIOS setup utility,
so there's apparently no way to tweak it back to DDR speed.
-E

> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>> Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
>> It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to
>> about 150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database
>> is accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light
>> remains on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity
>> constantly - for many hours, constantly.
>>
>> As a little background...
>> The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
>> remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into
>> the 7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end
>> of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to
>> access these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the
>> engine calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted
>> effort, because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute
>> the Tablebase data.
>>
>> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
>> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm
>> SCSI drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>>
>> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
>> too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of
>> a terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year
>> or two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison,
>> and the problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly
>> enormous.
>> -E
>>
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
>>> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced
>>> itself right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got
>>> faster and more reliable.
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

If your CPU is maxed at 100%, then your problem is NOT disk access. It's
CPU. If your CPU was NOT pegged at 100% then it could be CPU access.

Tom
"Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
> Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
> It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to about
> 150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database is
> accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light remains
> on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity
> constantly - for many hours, constantly.
>
> As a little background...
> The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
> remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into
> the 7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end
> of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to access
> these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the engine
> calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted effort,
> because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute the
> Tablebase data.
>
> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm SCSI
> drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>
> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
> too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of a
> terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year or
> two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison, and
> the problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly enormous.
> -E
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
>> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced
>> itself right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got
>> faster and more reliable.
>> HH
>>
>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>>I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
>>>confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
>>>and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works.
>>>After doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only
>>>comes in SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to
>>>afford one, I suppose. (I'm not.)
>>> -E
>>>
>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

euclid

Too much to swallow with just a sip of water, I presume... :)
-E

> [...]
>>> end of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to
>>> access these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than
>>> the engine calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be
>>> wasted effort, because they have already been calculated - i.e. they
>>> constitute the Tablebase data.
>>>
>>> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
>>> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm
>>> SCSI drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>>>
>>> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved
>>> completely too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards
>>> the order of a terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably
>>> within a year or two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by
>>> comparison, and the problems involved in accessing them will be

hh

Unfortunately, no. A regular IDE controller won't do it. A RAID controller
will. Promise is probably the largest manufacturer of the cards.

> Too much to swallow with just a sip of water, I presume... :)
> -E
>
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>>
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Quick questions. What, if anything, is runing in the background when you
>>> try to run the database?
>> Closing down my anti-virus and firewall have no effect on this problem,
>> and there's nothing else significant running in the background. Note that
>> my chess analysis engine software normally runs with 100% processor
>> usage. That's the software which accesses the Tablebases, so it's
>> necessary.
>>
>>> If anything, have you disabled same before starting?
>> N/A
>>
>>> Do you have MS Office installed?
>> No.
>>
>>> If so is Findfast enabled?
>> N/A
>>
>>> Is indexing enabled for the drive/volume?
>> No.
>>
>>> The drive is NTFS, correct?
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Defrag regularly?
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Delete temp internet files regularly?
>> Yes. They are deleted automatically when I exit IE.
>>
>>> Have you thought about installing an IDE Raid controller card and
>>> setting up a 2-drive for performance?
>> Duh...no...and have no idea what's involved.
>> I have a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card on my shelf, if that would
>> do it? I used it in a former computer, but haven't had any reason to put
>> it in this Compaq S4020WM.
>>
>> My only "Lone Ranger hunch" is that Compaq may have disabled the DDR
>> feature of RAM on this S4020WM. It has DDR RAM installed, however the
>> benchmarks (with Everest) show it as a speed typical of ordinary PC
>> (non-DDR) RAM. So I guess the problem could be RAM speed, at least
>> partly. At the same time Compaq hid all of those kinds of special
>> settings in the BIOS setup utility, so there's apparently no way to tweak
>> it back to DDR speed.
>> -E
>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

euclid

That's too simplistic. Maxing the CPU does not necessarily cause a problem,
especially not with this chess analysis software from chessbase.com. The CPU
is always maxed at 100% with this software on any machine. That's the way it
is designed, which maximizes its chess playing strength. My computer
generally works OK for multitasking while it's running, albeit somewhat
sluggish. If there are major op system response problems then the
software's process priority can be lowered, but that's not usually
necessary.

However apparently most people don't have my problem of a serious slowdown
when this software accesses the 7GB of tablebases on the hard drive -
especially the university-professor types who designed and created the
tablebases, and who run the software on their unix-related op systems with
SCSI hard drives. Some people running windows with IDE drives apparently
don't have the same serious slowdown problem associated with the tablebases
that I'm experiencing, but some do.
-E

> If your CPU is maxed at 100%, then your problem is NOT disk access. It's
> CPU. If your CPU was NOT pegged at 100% then it could be CPU access.
>
> Tom
> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
>> Well, I have a "home use" that my 7200rpm drive can't handle properly...
>> It's a 7GB chess endgame database of 290 files ranging up in size to
>> about 150kb. The drive can't keep up with the software as this database
>> is accessed, so it slows down things greatly. So the hard drive light
>> remains on constantly, while the processor is running at 100% capacity
>> constantly - for many hours, constantly.
>>
>> As a little background...
>> The game of chess has now been solved for all combinations of 5 pieces
>> remaining on the chessboard. These perfect & complete solutions go into
>> the 7GB database in a format known as Nalimov EGTB Tablebases. As the end
>> of a game of chess approaches, chess analysis engines will begin to
>> access these Tablebases, which is a lot faster and more reliable than the
>> engine calculating all of those possibilities again. That would be wasted
>> effort, because they have already been calculated - i.e. they constitute
>> the Tablebase data.
>>
>> How many Tablebase accesses are involved per second? A lot! A lot more
>> than 7,200 rpm IDE drives can handle. The experts say that 15,000 rpm
>> SCSI drives can keep up with the access demand OK, but nothing else can.
>>
>> Now, the 6-piece chess endgames are in process of being solved completely
>> too, so the chess endgame Tablebases are increasing towards the order of
>> a terrabyte of data when that task is completed (probably within a year
>> or two). That makes the little 7GB Tablebases look puny by comparison,
>> and the problems involved in accessing them will be correspondingly
>> enormous.
>> -E
>>
>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
>>> handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced
>>> itself right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got
>>> faster and more reliable.
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Euclid" <euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

euclid

OK, but there are several different kinds and I wouldn't know which one to
buy, that would work with my Compaq S4020WM. So I'm back to square one with
technical problems beyond my capability preventing any progress!? For
example:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Promise_ATA-IDE_RAID_Controller_Cards/b/333/c/2332