Migrating from XP to 7, but on new SSD. Need Advice!

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I am about to embark on a Windows 7 migration and wanted some input on how to proceed. I am currently running Windows XP on a HDD. I would like to install Windows 7 on a new SSD. It is my understanding that I will have to follow Paul Thurrott's XP to 7 migration that can be found here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

My intentions are to unplug my HDD and connect my SSD, insert the Windows 7 upgrade media and boot to disk. Then, following the prompts, install 7 on the SSD, but not activating. Then, plug the HDD back in but make sure to boot to Windows 7 on the SSD. Run all the updates and what not, then activate the OS.

Here is where my questions arise:
1. Will it be able to recognize that I am upgrading with the XP OS on a different drive?
2. If it all goes smooth, how do I remove the XP from my HDD? (Or should I keep it just in case?)
3. If I am also going to be installing a new graphics card, should I put that in before or after I install Windows 7?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any and all guidance in my journey.

Solution
1. You can't upgrade with xp. You'd have to do a clean install.
Just put in the sd as a boot drive and install. After windows is done, transfer your files from the original drive. Simple as that.
2. You wouldn't have to move it asuming the ssd is a boot drive but if you wanted to free up space, go ahead. ( You might wanna keep it. )
3.The graphics card should be installed after.

Why?

The windows installation would remove the drivers anyway.
1. You can't upgrade with xp. You'd have to do a clean install.
Just put in the sd as a boot drive and install. After windows is done, transfer your files from the original drive. Simple as that.
2. You wouldn't have to move it asuming the ssd is a boot drive but if you wanted to free up space, go ahead. ( You might wanna keep it. )
3.The graphics card should be installed after.

Why?

The windows installation would remove the drivers anyway.

Solution

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Clean installs are always better anyway - no junk left over from the previous OS. XP to 7 doesn't give you the option as said above anyway, so drop your SSD in, set the BIOS to prioritise it over the HDD and just install.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what you can migrate over to 7 from XP anyway, so once 7 is installed, just manually go through all the folders on the old XP install and copy over wallpapers and wahtnot you want to keep from there.

Everything's clean and different anyway so you're looking at configuring 7 from scratch.