Gaming Temperature Question

f1r3w4ll

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Greetings,

I am having a major problem regarding the temperature of my computer, and more specifically, core temperatures. While sitting idle at my desktop, the temperature of my cores sits around 40 degrees celsius. When I play games, the temperature hovers around the mid 70s celsius range and even leads to overheats. Any suggestions or quick fixes for this problem?

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3.40 GHz)
RAM: 4 Gigs
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Thanks! I've heard some suggestions regarding the paste but also a possibility of drivers, etc?

Thanks.

f1r3w4ll

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I have the Apevia X-Dreamer 3. It has now gone up to low 80s after gaming for a while since posting that initial message.

Edit: My temperature finally got up to mid-80s celsius. When I exited the game, the temperature went immediately down to 66C.

DM186

Splendid
It sound like your heat sink has come apart where the past goes. 80c is a bit high for core temps mine never get over 45c. I don't think drivers would cause your core temps to rise.

You could try this while it is hot and you are in a game just push down on the heat sink to see if your temps start to drop. That is a quick test just be careful not to burn yourself or get hit my the fan. I will you good luck on this.

better cooling is your only real option... sounds like the paste your using is amd's own and will go bad after 2-3 years, when i say goes bad. it goes grainy and looses the smooth texture that give an even spread as the past expands and contracts with the heat of the cpu. the grains then stop the paste moving as it should resulting in reduced heat dissipation ad effectiveness.
you also want to check the hsf is properly attached and the sprung pins havent worked loose if its not a screw down 1.
so the end result is likely to be you will need new hsf and possibly even a new set of case fans to hep put cold air into the case and extract the exhausted hot air.

gabrielkipp77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I used to have an i7 950 with a stock cooler which would hit 80 sometimes.....
It depends a lot on what cooler you have.. 70 degrees isnt BAD.. but id be cautious. if i were you, I would purchase an aftermarker cooler to replace your current one (presuming you have a stock cooler) OR the more efficient, quiet and just better overall alternative is to purchase a Liquid Cooler! I just got an i7 3820 with an Antec water cooler (80$) and it DOES make a huge difference, less fans = less noise and my cpu hasnt gone past 50 on LOAD.
Hope that helps!

For a phenom (or any newish AMD CPU) anything above 65 is worrying. 70 can cause a shortened life span if used for prolonged amount of time at that temperature

Reapply the TIM as soon as possible. grab some MX3 or something for like 10 bucks, watch a tutorial or 3 and do it.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
hmm.. that seems way too high for that.. It might be time for a new fan/heatsink. Are you using the stock fan/heatsink? Those things are pretty crappy especially in a case with poor ventilation. Maybe you can use some 120mm case fans for outtake/intake to cool things down.