Swiftech MC370-0A Questions...

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I was just checking out the Swiftech website information on their MC370-0A <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/store/cputempdata.htm" target="_new">test setup</A>, and they had 3x120mm case fans going. I have none. I'm running a Vcore of about 1.9volts on a T-Bird 850@800 (don't ask me why I'm on that right now...LoL). My current temperature (using Asus Probe v2.12.09...MBM 5 was reporting the same temps) is 47°C idle.

I was debating on purchasing 2x80mm Sunon fans (42.5cfm @ 3200RPM) and replace the Papst fan on the Swiftech cooler for a Delta 38cfm @ 6800RPM (<A HREF="http://www.crazypc.com/products/fans/fans.htm" target="_new">click here to see them</A>). Can I get some input whether this would be a good decision? I'd appreciate it. :smile: Besides, it would only cost $30 +tax + S&H...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If I shout over the noise of my delta fan... i can tell you they are very loud.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Up to you really - are you okay with the noise? For me - as soon as I find a way of getting that delta out - I'll do it.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'll probably buy the Delta, too. I doubt I'll mind the noise; I listen to music when I'm on my computer most of the time anyways. I think it'll be worth it for the cooler cpu. :smile: Thanks for replying!

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I would try the case fans first before changing the Pabst fan.My case is a Touch and only one 80 mm intake fan and no room for a second 80 mm fan but had a spot in the back for a 60 mm fan so i installed it and puit Arctic Silver II on the cpu My temps were close to yours before and now I idle around 34 to 36 c and 39 to 43 c after SETI runs for about 4 to 6 hours also went to a higher CFM inlet fan in the front. You may give that a try first.

Rock out with your AMD out

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Really...that sounds pretty good. What are your specs? Are you overclocked?

I have room for the 2x80mm fans: one in the bottom front below the FDD and one on the back panel by the peripheral connectors. I already have Arctic Silver II on my CPU.

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I have a A7V133
900 T-Bird
128 PC 133 Generic(Need to upgrade)
Fujitsu 10 Gig. ATA66
VooDoo 3 3000 AGP (HOT)
Swiftec MC370-0A
Sunon 80mm fan 36 cfm 2800 RPM(Bottom Front)
60mm fan off heatsink that came with CPU(Rear Top)
ASUS 50X CD Rom
Yamaha 8x4x24 CD-RW
USR and Diamond Modems
Generic NIC card
Sounblaster PCI128

Right now I am running at 7.5x133 at base core voltage
I can lower the FSB and increase the multiplier for faster MHZ. but seems to slow down on benchmarks.
I have been trying some different fan solutions on the side
of the case.Used the cardboard box case came in made a side pannel and have 1 80mm fan pushing air in at bottom front and one sucking out across from CPU(I know sounds cobbled but dont want to cut my side pannel till I know it will help)My case temp is 22C and CPU is 34C as I am typing with ambient temperature of 20C,SETI running in background.
It took me a couple of tries with the Arctic Silver II to get the propper amount.First time I puit it on and temps went up so pulled off cleaned heatsink and puit back on and so far so good.Never realized how important air flow was untill now.I think the Pabst fan will work for you just need to try different cooling ideas.Let me know how you come out.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Ya know, I think I will stick with the Papst fan. I'll probably order the 2 80mm Sunon fans today, and we'll just see what happens.

Thanks for all the input!

BTW, there's gotta be some way to know how much Arctic Silver II you should put on there. Is there any way to know how much? For me, I just put a drop at a time until I was able to coat the whole core... :eek:

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
As thin as you can possibly spread it. It is only to fill in microscopic air gaps. Detailed instructions can be found at <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">Articsilver.com</A>.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Tempus, thanks for that link. I don't recall seeing that when I first went through the sites for support on all the components I bought for my computer.

But, in the instructions, it's mentioned that you press the surfaces together. So, would I press the cooler against the CPU (a little bit)???

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
well your hs/f clip will push a lot harder, so you might as well get the ball rolling.... ;o)

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
You are welcome,Glad I could help,As already posted the Arctic Silver site is real good as are the people on here that help out.Let me know when you get the fans

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
In regards to the <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">instructions on cleaning off the thermal compound from the ceramic part of the processor</A>, has anyone actually done this? I'd like to clean off mine, cuz I got it all messy from the first time I cleaned it off. I'm just hesitant and, to be honest, quite scared to put <i>dishwashing soap</i> on it...

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You will actually be cleaning it off the small metal plate on top of the ceramic part. The best thing to use for removal is nail polish remover.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I use Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with cotton balls and Q-Tips then when it all dries I have a glasses rag to wipe it all off in case there is any fuzz. This works real well for myself.I personaly dont like the idea of water or water based products in contact with all the electronics on the chip or anywhere on the computer unless you watercoool and
then that really scares me (haha)Just take your time and you should do just fine.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
<< You will actually be cleaning it off the small metal plate on top of the ceramic part >>

Silicon I think, this is the actual cpu chip...

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
But just look at it or even better touch it. It is made of silicon, but I believe it is coated in ceramic material.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Why do you think that? I thought it was all silicon and the basic chip to place it closer to the h/s. Ceramic wouldn't make sense as it is a much more thermally insulating material.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Isn't silicon fragile? I would think that if you touched it you would smudge it. I don't know, but I think the area <b>under</b> the metal plate is silicon. But the part we see is ceramic.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
It is rather similar to a moderate stone or similar. Imagine sand under your heatsink, then rock the heatsing around and imagine the sound of the sand crunching as you did it...

Silicone is not fragile (except at .25, .18 micron thicknesses!) but it is brittle. It's prone to crack or crumble under significan shear stress (like tilting your heatsink under pressure). Direct perprndicular pressure it is quite resilient to.

You are definitely not going to 'smudge' it with a finger, although you will leave a fingerprint smudge!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Also, what would be the benefit of another metal plate? It is just another thermal interface to interfere with cooling. Nope, as far as I'm aware it is just silicon - other wise how would people crack and crumble their cpus when they screw up installing heatsinks? You couldn't do that if it were a metal plate.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Hmmm.... So you think the entire kernal is silicon on the outside too?

We could really use a chat room on this forum. We are carrying on a conversation through posts. Sheesh.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
yeah - getting a bit silly I guess - but to answer your question, yes - to my knowledge the CPU die is silicon.

Of course it used to be that transistors were a combination of silicon and germanium so I am not going to lock myself fully out of that possibility since I think you need supercooling to run pure silicon transistors which are otherwise not electrically conductive.