Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new gaming PC. Thoughts?

Last response: in Video Games
May 5, 2012 1:25:17 PM

First and foremost I would just like to say that I only want opinion and advice and not people saying that I should build a gaming rig myself because it would be the most viable option for me and that it would be stupid of me to buy a pre-built gaming system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys think that the Chillblast Fusion Longbow (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Longbow.htm... - link) will be enough to run high quality games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3 and the upcoming Guild Wars 2? I'm also looking for a system that can run multiple programs at once for recording with fraps and video editing. I'm guessing 16gb of ram would be enough to run a ton of programs at once.

Here are the specs:

- Chillblast Vantage Gaming Case
- Intel Core i5 3570 "Ivy Bridge" Processor 3.4GHz
- Asus P8H77-M Pro Motherboard
- 16GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
- Chillblast Radeon 6850 1GB Graphics Card
- 1000GB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Disk
- Samsung Blu Ray / DVD-RW Combo Drive
- Chillblast 700watt EZCool PSU
- Onboard High Definition Audio
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
- 802.11N Wireless PCI Adaptor

It also comes with a 24" inch ASUS monitor and a basic set of keyboard and mouse. The price is £799 (inc vat). Do you think this PC is worth it? Will it last for a long time? Should there be any changes I should make such as replacing the Power Supply etc. I can only pick the certain ones in the customization option below the specification on the website. So if there's any changes I should make then please tell me.

Thanks.

More about : buying gaming thoughts

May 5, 2012 2:22:04 PM

It wont run them well.

Motherboard is average

What make is the RAM? not listed usually means cr@p

Graphics card is ENTRY level you wont be running things high or ultra especially with fraps going and again no proper brandname = cheapest thing they can source.

EZCool PSU's belong in one place..... landfill it will sizzle and pop

You know its aimed at the technically less minded when it advertises "onboard audio" is having sound meant to be a bonus?

24" monitor... what spec what model? Older crappier ones can be had for a pittance

Its not worth it, wont last long for the needs you list. It would be ok if it used a good brand PSU - OCZ, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic and came with a far better graphics card.

May 5, 2012 2:38:30 PM

would you be willing to use another website?

Related resources
May 5, 2012 2:42:05 PM

Looking at their configurator you could switch that PSU to an OCZ and select integrated graphics then buy and install your own Graphics cards as all they offer on that list are either entry level or severly over priced upper entry/lower mid level.

To be honest I would not order from any company though that wants an extra £24.99 for "elite cable management", £30 for "windows optimisation", £80!!!!!!! for a FOUR DAY build! or my favourite..... £5.99 for branded thermal paste on the CPU (the entire tube costs less than that)
May 5, 2012 3:09:01 PM

shanky887614 said:
would you be willing to use another website?

Yeah, if the price is less and the quality is decent.
May 5, 2012 3:13:39 PM

A good option I suggested to a guy here a while back is this site

http://www.cclonline.com

You can choose all your parts and then add to basket "build it for me" at £60 they will build the parts you want and deliver. All you need do is install windows.

I think overclockers do a similar service.

Gives you 100% control on whats in there. Though for £799 you are not going to build a monster FRAPS and video editing machine more likely a solid gaming rig that can handle the other 2 uses

*Edit* my bad they will also install windows for you
May 5, 2012 3:19:54 PM

wr6133 said:
Motherboard is average

What does the motherboard actually do? Does matter that much when gaming? Sorry for asking newbie questions, I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. That's why I'm posting in this website. :( 

wr6133 said:
What make is the RAM? not listed usually means cr@p

Well, the default one that comes with the PC has no brand name on it. Though, on the customization options there's a Corsair brand but that means I'll have to add an additional £39.

wr6133 said:
Graphics card is ENTRY level you wont be running things high or ultra especially with fraps going and again no proper brandname = cheapest thing they can source.

I'm okay with dropping the quality down when recording since that's what I'd expect. Any other graphics card I should look for?

wr6133 said:
EZCool PSU's belong in one place..... landfill it will sizzle and pop

Yeah I've heard some bad stuff about EZCool PSU's and I'm thinking of changing it to a corsair 750w PSU.

wr6133 said:
You know its aimed at the technically less minded when it advertises "onboard audio" is having sound meant to be a bonus?

Yeah, I'm not really bothered with the audio stuff as long as I can hear things decently.

wr6133 said:
24" monitor... what spec what model? Older crappier ones can be had for a pittance

24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor. Again, not quite fussed about the monitor as long as it's clear and I can see things. Plus it comes with the price so it's a plus for me.

wr6133 said:
It wont run them well.

Its not worth it, wont last long for the needs you list. It would be ok if it used a good brand PSU - OCZ, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic and came with a far better graphics card.

Kk, thanks for your input. Do you know of any other websites that has better pre-built machines than Chillblast and ship to the UK? I would like to see if there's anymore PC's that I can look at before making my mind up.
May 5, 2012 3:26:14 PM

wr6133 said:
A good option I suggested to a guy here a while back is this site

http://www.cclonline.com

You can choose all your parts and then add to basket "build it for me" at £60 they will build the parts you want and deliver. All you need do is install windows.

I think overclockers do a similar service.

Gives you 100% control on whats in there. Though for £799 you are not going to build a monster FRAPS and video editing machine more likely a solid gaming rig that can handle the other 2 uses

*Edit* my bad they will also install windows for you

Thanks for the site.

Though, I really don't know what parts to pick since I'm really clueless about gaming PC's and all. I'd much rather buy a pre-built system with all the peripherals included since it saves me the hassle and I'm willing to spend extra money to invest in a "decent" gaming PC.

What do you think about these machines:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/72889/NoMfgCode/All-CC...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/72557/NoMfgCode/All-CC...

They both have SSD's and a second hard drive included which will be good when I'm recording. I'm not planning on playing games in hardcore settings since I'm a casual gamer and I'm willing to drop the quality down when recording. Thoughts?
May 5, 2012 3:29:19 PM

With the corsair or OCZ PSU's they offer that machine would appeal more.

Quote:
I'm okay with dropping the quality down when recording since that's what I'd expect. Any other graphics card I should look for?

With that GPU you would be cutting back setting before recording. With FRAPS up and running you would be cutting back too much. As i said an option would be save by having no graphics card then go buy a better one and shove it in there yourself (think around £150-200 mark)

Quote:
What does the motherboard actually do? Does matter that much when gaming? Sorry for asking newbie questions, I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. That's why I'm posting in this website. :( 

It has an overclockable 3570K CPU to take advantage of that and milk the extra speed you really want a half decent Z77 board (and a better cooler) if you never plan to OC the CPU then it would do but thats alot of potentiol left wasted. Better to have the decent board so then if you want more speed in future you can OC it.

Basically what these builders do and they all do it as they need to make their profit is tout one good latest greatest thing in your case the CPU and then cheap out elsewhere in your case the GPU. However saying that your budget that needs to include a monitor is seriously tight for the uses you list
May 5, 2012 3:33:52 PM

The Intel based CCL system you link is reasonably balanced you can't overclock its CPU though. Basically your dropping down a little on CPU there but getting a better GPU. Less RAM (but RAM upgrades are cheap and easy) but a good PSU. Overall its better balanced you will need to add windows though and monitor etc though even then the price tag would be in the same region as the initial link you had.
May 5, 2012 3:45:37 PM

wr6133 said:
The Intel based CCL system you link is reasonably balanced you can't overclock its CPU though. Basically your dropping down a little on CPU there but getting a better GPU. Less RAM (but RAM upgrades are cheap and easy) but a good PSU. Overall its better balanced you will need to add windows though and monitor etc though even then the price tag would be in the same region as the initial link you had.

Thanks.

So it will be a better choice for me to go on another site such as CCL and look for PC's there? I'm willing to go with a balanced PC than an overpriced, cheap hardware, and an overall garbage PC.

Also, I'm not planning to OC the computer even though it might improve the performance since I'm not that hardcore about gaming anyway. Just a casual.

One last thing, what do you think about this PC?

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Striker.htm...

Do you think it's better than the Longbow one? Changing the case to Cooler Master Elite 430 Case and the PSU to an Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU. Instead of the garbage EZCool hardware. You think it's worth it?
May 5, 2012 3:49:06 PM

This with Windows http://www.cclonline.com/product/72557/NoMfgCode/All-CC...
£730

and this monitor

http://www.cclonline.com/product/67658/9H-L7TLB-QWE/Mon...

Would total £836

if you need a mouse and keyboard add about £15 for a basic MS desktop set

OR

Your initial link plus the OCZ PSU but minus the GPU is £785 to then add a GTX 560ti yourself would be £160. So around the £940 mark

Hard choice when i read that back! I think I would take the CCL as you get an SSD and its all done for you. Though the initial with the upgraded PSU and self installed GPU is a tasty machine
May 5, 2012 3:51:46 PM

tycrane said:
Thanks.

So it will be a better choice for me to go on another site such as CCL and look for PC's there? I'm willing to go with a balanced PC than an overpriced, cheap hardware, and an overall garbage PC.

Also, I'm not planning to OC the computer even though it might improve the performance since I'm not that hardcore about gaming anyway. Just a casual.

One last thing, what do you think about this PC?

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Striker.htm...

Do you think it's better than the Longbow one? Changing the case to Cooler Master Elite 430 Case and the PSU to an Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU. Instead of the garbage EZCool hardware. You think it's worth it?

If you go the chillblast route I would take the original one you linked but with the OCZ or Corsair PSU and no graphics card. Then buy a gtx560ti from CCL and install it yourself (easy quick job).
May 5, 2012 4:02:26 PM

Hello im sure it will be fine i can play bf3 on medium with my setup
amd sempron 145 unlocked to an athlon ii x2 4450e @2.8ghz
asrock n68c-s UCC
4gb ram
nvidia geforce gt430
550w psu

btw wr6133 commented on mine saying it wouldn't run things but it does im not sure hes the best person to listen to
May 5, 2012 4:04:24 PM

jamesg2571 said:
Hello im sure it will be fine i can play bf3 on medium with my setup
amd sempron 145 unlocked to an athlon ii x2 4450e @2.8ghz
asrock n68c-s UCC
4gb ram
nvidia geforce gt430
550w psu

btw wr6133 commented on mine saying it wouldn't run things but it does im not sure hes the best person to listen to

Thanks for that, though I think I'll trust Wr6133 on this since he's the only one here who actually gave me advice on what to avoid and what to get.
May 5, 2012 4:11:38 PM

Your proposed system is great except for the graphics card. Consider spending a bit more and getting a 7950. This is superb card and probably about what you need to play everything on high, and to do justice to your CPU. If you are not into tweaking your computer, you shouldn't worry much about the motherboard or the RAM (except the amount of it). As long as it does the job, there's little to be gained by getting a so-called "better" one (in the case of the motherboard) or branded (in the case of RAM).
May 5, 2012 4:11:50 PM

wr6133 said:
This with Windows http://www.cclonline.com/product/72557/NoMfgCode/All-CC...
£730

and this monitor

http://www.cclonline.com/product/67658/9H-L7TLB-QWE/Mon...

Would total £836

if you need a mouse and keyboard add about £15 for a basic MS desktop set

Do you recommend changing the RAM from 4gb to 8gb? I will be running several programs at once so will the 4gb handle that + playing a game?

Also, should I change the PSU to a OCZ ZS Series 550W 80+ Bronze Power Supply or will the default one be sufficient?

Last question, does the case matter, Fractal Design Core 1000 Case, is it big enough to have decent airflow and easily up-gradable in the future if I want to add/remove some parts?

Thanks again.
May 5, 2012 4:20:39 PM

It comes with 8GB its just unclear (X2 4GB modules) The XFX PSU there is good though for a 560ti the 550W would give a bit more breathing space. The case is fine I wouldn't really worry to much as your not overclocking heat won't be a huge issue so any extreme cooling setups are needless
May 5, 2012 4:26:13 PM

wr6133 said:
It comes with 8GB its just unclear (X2 4GB modules) The XFX PSU there is good though for a 560ti the 550W would give a bit more breathing space. The case is fine I wouldn't really worry to much as your not overclocking heat won't be a huge issue so any extreme cooling setups are needless

Ah, okay.

Thanks. :) 
May 5, 2012 7:09:24 PM

scan do builds as well.

they will also come and set it up for you as well, free of charge.

come, put it together and make sure its working before they leave

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=979

if money is tight they offer finance.

Example 1: Buy Now Pay Later (9 months) This is a Buy Now Pay Later aggreement. Customers will initially only have to pay a 10% deposit, with the original loan amount payable in the 9th month, in order to incur no interest charge.

basscially you pay 10% now and as much as you can afford then as long as you pay rest off before feb you dont get charged
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 10:09:56 PM

tycrane said:
Ah, okay.

Take a look here there also good builds.
May 21, 2012 7:21:10 PM

Found a new PC: (pretty cheap and well in my target price)

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Nicosaurus-H77-9...

I've changed completely most of the parts and added a few to suit the things I want to do with it (gaming and recording):

========================================================================================================

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 3550

Included

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Included

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte H77M-D3H

Included

RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)

£13.80

Hard Drive: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

£4.60

2nd hard drive: NEW! 500GB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

£54.69

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Included

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

£83.00

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Included

Keyboard: Logitech USB Keyboard

£8.99

Mouse: Logitech Optical Wheel USB Mouse

£5.99

Monitors: NEW! Asus 21.5" VE228T LED

£107.99

Case: Xigmatek Asgard

Included

PSU: NEW! 600W Xigmatek

£21.30

Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Warranty

Total price: £825 (inc. monitor + mouse + keyboard)

========================================================================================================

Will the graphics card be able to run modern games at mid/high quality while recording with FRAPS? Will the 60gb SSD enough for Windows 7 + possibly more programs? Is the 500gb HDD good enough for FRAPS space (10 minute videos)? Is the processor good enough for encoding/rendering videos? Will I able to run a dual monitor setup in the future with the 560 Ti? Is the monitor good enough for gaming (21")? Is the MOBO good enough and will I be able to make customizations with it in the future? Will the PSU (600w Xigmatek) able to handle the GTX 560 Ti or would I need to upgrade it more?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be real cautious when wanting to buy a PC and I'd like to have it good enough to my liking. Also, I'm just a casual gamer so graphics don't really matter to me as long as it's playable and good enough to be watched in Youtube.

a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 9:48:03 PM

For a pre-built PC that is a very good deal indeed, the 560ti will not only play most games at your monitors native resolution of 1080p on high settings but will even play alot of them on ultra settings, 500gn is good enough for now, but dont worry as hard drives are very easy to install, or even in your case a USB 3 external 1TB hard drive would be very well suited in the future, the 60gb SSD will be just fine for Windows and a few programs and a few games but the rest will have to go on your other drive. the CPU is more than enough for your video needs, the mobo while micro atx is still also enough for future CPU and GPU upgrades also, the 560ti will also run dual monitors happily, and finaly the 600w Xigmatek PSU will easily run your system and would even manage a single GTX670 in the future. so i say for that price go for it.
May 21, 2012 9:51:37 PM

Uther39 said:
For a pre-built PC that is a very good deal indeed, the 560ti will not only play most games at your monitors native resolution of 1080p on high settings but will even play alot of them on ultra settings, 500gn is good enough for now, but dont worry as hard drives are very easy to install, or even in your case a USB 3 external 1TB hard drive would be very well suited in the future, the 60gb SSD will be just fine for Windows and a few programs and a few games but the rest will have to go on your other drive. the CPU is more than enough for your video needs, the mobo while micro atx is still also enough for future CPU and GPU upgrades also, the 560ti will also run dual monitors happily, and finaly the 600w Xigmatek PSU will easily run your system and would even manage a single GTX670 in the future. so i say for that price go for it.

Awesome, thanks for the well thought out response bro! Appreciate it. :) 

Might go for this one and order it tomorrow when I get my money, will be coming back here if I have some other problems. Thanks again, great community. :D 
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 9:54:08 PM

But you could save £1.30 by choosing the Asus P8Z77-V LX mobo instead as its a better full atx board than the gigabyte one.
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 9:58:06 PM

Slightly more but slightly better

Customizations:

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 3550

Included

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Included

Motherboard: NEW! Asus P8Z77-V LX

£-1.30

RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)

£13.80

Hard Drive: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

£4.60

2nd hard drive: NEW! 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

£69.79

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Included

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

£83.00

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Included

Keyboard: Logitech USB Keyboard

£8.99

Mouse: Logitech Optical Wheel USB Mouse

£5.99

Speakers: Logitech S220

£19.99

Monitors: NEW! Asus 21.5" VE228T LED

£107.99

Case: Xigmatek Asgard

Included

PSU: NEW! 600W Xigmatek

£21.30

Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Warranty

Product Subtotal: £859.15
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2012 10:00:02 PM

I added the Asus mobo, the 1tb hdd as your 2nd drive and some speakers, if you dont need speakers just knock em off to save £20, which brings you down to £839
May 22, 2012 2:35:36 AM

tycrane said:
First and foremost I would just like to say that I only want opinion and advice and not people saying that I should build a gaming rig myself because it would be the most viable option for me and that it would be stupid of me to buy a pre-built gaming system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys think that the Chillblast Fusion Longbow (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Longbow.htm... - link) will be enough to run high quality games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3 and the upcoming Guild Wars 2? I'm also looking for a system that can run multiple programs at once for recording with fraps and video editing. I'm guessing 16gb of ram would be enough to run a ton of programs at once.

Here are the specs:

- Chillblast Vantage Gaming Case
- Intel Core i5 3570 "Ivy Bridge" Processor 3.4GHz
- Asus P8H77-M Pro Motherboard
- 16GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
- Chillblast Radeon 6850 1GB Graphics Card
- 1000GB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Disk
- Samsung Blu Ray / DVD-RW Combo Drive
- Chillblast 700watt EZCool PSU
- Onboard High Definition Audio
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
- 802.11N Wireless PCI Adaptor

It also comes with a 24" inch ASUS monitor and a basic set of keyboard and mouse. The price is £799 (inc vat). Do you think this PC is worth it? Will it last for a long time? Should there be any changes I should make such as replacing the Power Supply etc. I can only pick the certain ones in the customization option below the specification on the website. So if there's any changes I should make then please tell me.

Thanks.

You definitely will be able to run every high end game out there, although not at highest settings, probably at medium settings. You should get at least a 7850, if you google 7850 reviews, it can play most games on highest 1920x1080 at around 50-60fps with a few exceptions, like crysis and metro.

However, for the price, I'm not quite sure, if 799 = $1600 USD, then in US its a terrible deal (not sure of british prices), because they are selling a computer like this for $800 without a screen, and ASUS 24" probably run you $250ish, so $1300 with tax, so around 650BP.

I know you said don't tell you to build a gaming system, what you can do (what I did) was buy a barebones computer which has all the components you listed above except for the graphics card, and it was $579. I then bought a 7850 for $250 and a 23" Dell LED for $129, so all in all about $1000 total, and this doesn't really count as building a computer since you bought almost the whole computer at once minus a card.

EDIT: the build doesn't have blu ray
May 22, 2012 8:16:05 AM

£800 is about $1200-ish (1.5-1.6 to the £ the days of $2 to the pound are long over)
May 22, 2012 7:14:23 PM

it s good but I never heard of that chillblast,I have 6850 toxic which is a nice card for new games today.It s also good for oc,I pushed mine close 6870.
May 22, 2012 7:20:21 PM

I'd take uthers build the chillblast one has cut corners.

EZ cool PSU's dont qualify as doorstops

and the chillblast radeon is going to be the cheapest brand card they can find with their label badly glued on the shroud
June 14, 2012 7:45:10 PM

Is this PC quite good for its specs? It's the same specs the Yogscast has when they're recording their videos.

http://www.chillblast.com/fusion-yogsblast.html

Is the case good enough for airflow? I'm planning on using this to do gaming videos too.

Can't believe the Yogscast has their own PC lol..
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2012 8:32:51 PM

Yep shes a beauty and with that gtx670 will play all games maxed out, Also the R3 case is a good one for airflow, build quality and quietness.
June 14, 2012 9:20:13 PM

Uther39 said:
Yep shes a beauty and with that gtx670 will play all games maxed out, Also the R3 case is a good one for airflow, build quality and quietness.

It's a buy for me then.

Thanks! :D 
!