Confusion and Athlon mobo's

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Now, I just read in another thread a post by crashman that confused me. He said, in a nutshell, that raising the FSB on a Athlon "B" from 100MHz to 133MHz would have no affect on the rest of the system. Maybe I misunderstood the statement. I was always under the impression that by raising the FSB speed, you also raised the AGP, PCI, and RAM buses, and in doing so could fry almost everything in the system. If that isn't the case with Socket-A mobos, then why do people seem put off by the lack of a clock multiplier adjustment in the new AMD760 boards? And if that is the case, then I think that instead of waiting for a AMD760 mobo with multiplier adjustment or a mature KT266 or AliMagik system, I will just say screw waiting and buy all the parts with my first paycheck I get this summer, instead of waiting until the Palamino comes out. Oh yeah, that's the other thought. I'm sure I heard that the Palamino will be compatible with current Socket A mobos, but does anyone know of any "issues" that may crop up if I get a pre-Palamino mobo and later try to install a Palamino chip into it? Thanks.

-SammyBoy

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
KT133A mobos automatically set the divider for 1/4 of the FSB speed once you pass 120MHz FSB. Therefore at 133MHz, the PCI and the rest would still be running at spec speed. Below 120MHz, the divider is set at 1/3. (1/3 of 100MHz FSB=33MHz. 1/4 of 133MHz FSB=33MHz.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that the palamino core may only initially be used for the next AMD mobile chip, and not for desktops since that is where it's heat and power saving would make the most market impact.

I do not recall where I got this from or whether it is subsequently true, but it struck me as reasonable.

People can run AMDs at current temps and power in desktops, but AMD are aout of the laptop market right now. Focusing effort on a market they have no share at all in would reap benefits of product awareness with another sector and (if it all works) some cash.

Anyone else heard anything similar?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
All I know about the Palaminos, except for the improvments, is that it will debut a few months later on the desktops after it is initially put out for laptops. This is gleaned from the AMD roadmap that is on their site, checked a couple of weeks ago, so if something changed in the last few weeks, I wouldn't know. But thanks. Keep the ideas about Palamino and FSB overclocking coming.

TRENDING THREADS