How do you test an overclocked cpu?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
What would I use to test an overclocked cpu to see if it'll stay stable? I hear of 3DMark, Quake 3 Demo, etc. But, which are the ones that are available that you don't have to be at your computer when they're running? (My apoligies if this is a really stupid question, but this is a learning process, isn't it? :smile: )

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Ha. I think if you look, most newly replyed to threads are by me at this time. Nothing else to do I guess. Plus I read many more posts than i actually respond too, so this forum is partly responsible for my computer related intelligence.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
That's cool...

Alright, I've just downloaded and installed SETI@home. Now, a few quick questions:
1) Do I have to be online when it's running?
2) What exactly should I be looking for? Just the fact that if it still runs decent? I don't know, man...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 04/17/01 07:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You only need to be online when you are downloading a new WU for it too analyze. They are really small files (300kb average) and take about 30 seconds to download even on slow modems. Otherwise all the work is done offline.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
What about it? If it runs for 6 hours straight with no problems then you are stable. Keep an eye on your temp though. Good Luck!

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
No problem. be sure to ask if you have anymore questions or comments!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Update: After 28 minutes of running SETI@Home, my temp is 56°C. (That's not too great, but I've ordered 2x80mm Sunon fans to help cool down my case. Fan Specs: 3200RPM, 42.5cfm, 36.5dBA)

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'm using a Swiftech MC370-0A (w/the Papst fan, debating whether or not to switch it to the Delta).

Now, oddly enough, I'm now at 54°C...plus, I've been using Internet Explorer, System Monitor - to ensure that my CPU load is 100%, RASPPPoE - to stay online, and Tiny Personal Firewall.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Great news...after running SETI@Home overnight (like 8 hours, because I lost the DSL connection and I wasn't there to reconnect when it was needed to), my computer is still completely stable. Thanks for your help Tempus...

Was that basically it though for testing my computer? If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to know. (It's cool to know that I might actually have a rock-stable computer.)

G

Another thing you may want to try is Prime95. It works by calculating Prime numbers. If you get a "hardware error" while it is running, chances are that your system is unstable.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You can get it <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm" target="_new">here</A>. Yes it is another good program. But if it can withstand Seti@Home it can withstand Prime95. So you may be wasting your time.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Oh, I see...thanks for that piece of information. That'll save me a couple of hours.

Anyway, do you think that SETI@Home is the best thing I can do to ensure my computer is stable?