Need Help, Im new to OC

G

Ok I just got a D750 and im running it on a K7VAT MOBO with the VIA KT-133 chipset. The board has switches on it to set the clock higher and a jumper that tells the board to use the MB clock setting instead of the chips, however it doesn't change the speed of the chip. Is that becuz i havn't connected the L1 bridges, i don't know. I've heard of some people who OC without connecting the L1's but i was unsuccessfull. If I do OC my next question is what should temperatures should I want to keep the chip at. right now its running at 80-90F, I have a dual fan heat sink with an orb type design. and two huge server fans for the rest of the system. here are my specs

D750
K7VAT (Via KT-133 chipset)(not a great board i know)
2 PC133 128mb and 1 PC100 64mb for total of 320mb
G-Force 2 MX 32SDR

I think thats all that would have a major effect on the OC, both my HD's are a couple years old so no real heat coming from them. Thanks for any help you can offer

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Ok.... first things first.

If the chipset if a KT-133 (not a KT133a) you'll probably maxx out the FSB at 130Mhz (+/-).

I'm assuming you know about this bridge connecting business! If you don't, please take my advice, use a pencil lead (0.5 HB will do fine) before you regret taking any drastic measures!

OC without connecting the L1 bridges is only possible on some processors (namely the TB1200 and upwards) since they come with the bridges allready connected.

I don't work Farenheiht temperatures (on Celsius) but from what i see 85ºF is good for a D750.

Ok... you should try 1000Mhz or 950Mhz... i think these OCs are attainable with a D750.

As for the temperatures i have a TB1.1Ghz and i get around 47ºC on full load.

Don't believe blindly in what you hear! - Play safe! Play hard!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dang...80-90°F = 27-32°C
That's really good...

For the L1 bridges, you have to use, like Bombastik mentioned, a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. Make sure you go over each bridge a lot of times until you can barely see the gold. It took me 3 tries until I finally unlocked my TBird. If you mess up, just erase erase erase...

Make sure you check all the jumpers so that you can manually change the FSB, voltage, and multiplier. When you've done all this, set the voltage to ? (hopefully someone fills in that blank). Then, set the FSB to 133 and the multiplier to 5.5 (133x5.5=731.5) Increase the multiplier by 0.5, each time. I'm not sure about the voltages, because I have an Asus A7V133, so I don't know if you need to set it to 1.85v. Anyways, when you finally can't POST, set it back lower, and fire up Windows.

You have to ensure that your system will be stable. Tempus suggested to me that I download and run <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html" target="_new">SETI@Home</A>. I ran my computer overnight, then when I woke up, I shut down SETI and started using my computer. It ran just as quick as the night before. So, my T-Bird 850 is stable at 1000MHz (133x7.5). My temp at 100% CPU load was 56°C. BTW, to check that your Duron 750 is under 100% load, have System Monitor (Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools) running with the Kernel Processor Usage beign graphed.

Was that good enough to help??? :smile:

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
I'm taking this oportunity do discuss some things (i'm not spamming you :))

1st: About the re-re-re-trace business with the pencil lead, i did that but the eching got so thick that i was affraid of a short circuit. So after doing it a couple of times i erased, drawed the three lines once (with a moderated strength on the pencil lead tip) and i FINALLY plugged the processor (the other times i didn't 'cause i wasn't satisfied with it).
The result, unlocked at the first try (with no hickups) and it's been 3 weeks and it's still overclocked.
My opinion? From what i know you don't need a allot of graphite dust (made by re-tracing) to do it.

2nd: About SETI, i have it allways running but i came to the conclusion that if i runned it for 3 hours my temp would go from 34ºC->45ºC... but after that if i played a game from 2 hours the temp reaches 47ºC, which leads to me to conclude that it doesn't MAX out a TB1.1Ghz (and the proofs are the extra 2ºC and doing both without either beying degraded).

3rd: 133Mhz if a good setting for a Asus A7V133 (my mobo and yours) but the board in issue has (from what he said) KT133 and not KT133a chipset... and the KT133 is renowned for beeing troublesome above 130Mhz. But it's worth the try of course :)

G

Ok, the board I have does not allow me to change the FSB and Clock Settings from with in the Bios. There are two sets of switches on the board one for FSB and the other for the clock. More bad news (for me that is) is that the board will only let me sellect 100 or 133 FSB, so I don't have much choice in settings there if I'm going to raise it any higher. Thanks for all your help so far, I hope to be trying this with in the next week.

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
BEWARE OF 100/133 JUMPER ONLY BOARDS!!!

There's an article at Anandtech about this (please search it up since i don't the exact link). According to AMD, the system before entering POST sets the FSB and the Multiplier at it's default state, only after that does the system set the settings of the FSB+Multiplier at the desired setting.

The problem with boards with 100/133 jumper is that there is during the pre-POST time slot, the board sets the multiplier at it's default setting but it CAN'T set the FSB at it's default setting!!.

To see the problem, let's take my processor.. a TB Type-B 1.1Ghz (11x100Mhz) and your board and let's do an OC of 1.2Ghz (9x133Mhz). We set the multplier at 9x and the FSB at 133Mhz and you power on the system. The result?

It doesn't boot at all!!! Why? Because before the system enters post it resets the multiplier to 11x and it can't reset the FSB back to 100Mhz... the result... there's a small fraction of time with the processor at 11x133Mhz (1463Mhz) which needless to say, is too much for the poor TB-B 1.1Ghz!

This is what i remeber from the article, please, anyone correct me if i'm wrong :)