btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<b>System Specs (only what you need to know for this question):</b>
Asus A7V133
AMD Athlon T-Bird 850@1000 (133x7.5)
-vcore set to 1.85v
Swiftech MC370-0A Cooler used w/Arctic Silver II

At idle, I'm at 51°C, and at 100% cpu load, I'm at 56°C. Is there anyone that has been able to run their cpu at a lower voltage than me that has around the same specs?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Sounds about right. You probably are running at the limits of stability, until you cool down your processor a little more.

There's a chance you can boot your voltage up, while maintaining your temps, but it may not be stable. The voltage mod is available on the net. It's not the same hookup as the a7v, due to a few more SMD's.

mpjesse

Splendid
Woah boy... bring the voltage down bro. The 1Ghz T-bird only runs at 1.75 volts. Bring the voltage down to that or at least 1.8 and then up the FSB to 133. My 800 is overclocked to 1Ghz with NO voltage mods- it's still at 1.71 volts.

"Signatures Still Suck"

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
That is a bit too warm.

I'm using a 370 with a delta fan to cool my cpu and it's a 1.33 running at 1.56 w. 1.85V. My temps never get over 46 degrees. However, the temps you are seeing may not be accurate. Use SiSoft Sandra or Mother board monitor to cross check the temp reported (I'll assume you are using Asus Probe).

I wen't through all the calibrations using the bios temp, MBM and a thermistor.

Overall I found that with the thermistor in contact with the CPU, BIOS and MBM gave temps 3 degrees C over actual. Asus probe was 13 degrees over actual!!!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
[Re: mpjesse]
I was gonna try that, and hopefully I can get down to 1.7v. It's hard to believe that you got that low, cuz I would think you need the higher voltage. If you saw above, I'm already at 133 FSB. But, I'll try to decrease my voltage step by step. BTW, when everything was at their defaults, my CPU default (850MHz) voltage was at 1.8 already, I think. Interesting, isn't it...

[Re: Peteb]
Yeah, reading posts that you've posted for other people earlier, I can tell. I remember you said something like "50-60°: turn it off already!" or something like that...LoL

I've bought 2x80mm Sunon fans (3200RPM, 42.5cfm, 36.5dBA) for intake and outake. I hope this will help. I know that you've been saying that the Delta fan is pretty loud, so I'll hold off on that until I get these two fans tomorrow. As for the temp accuracy, I've already cross checked the Asus Probe temps using MBM5 and SiSoft Sandra, and they all say the same temperatures. BTW, how'd you check the actual temp?

G

You should be fine at that voltage, but those temparatures definately do not sound right, check to make sure the heatsink is seated properly on the cpu and that you did not use too much arctic silver 2.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The key to keeping low temps while o/c is to run at the LOWEST stable potential difference (voltage). if youre stable at 1.7v, then run at that, but if not, keep bumping it up until you are stable. My 800 wouldnt run stable at 9.5x100 with anything less than 1.85v. But at 105x9, it runs at 1.75v, so keep messing with it and get the right voltage and that should get you temps down a little.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I know my temps hurt. :frown: I've even redone the Arctic Silver three times to get it right, plus I don't know the best way to mount the MC370-0A. I mean, they use the spring loaded mounting whatchamacallits, so it shouldn't be wrong.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I used a little digital temperature probe - a readout on the end of a cable. I ran this under the heatsink to rest against the die during operation. This can be a little fiddly, but I came out to this.

I've seen people say their Asus probe is dead right, and some that have been out. I don't know it there is a formula. Asus probe on my old CUV4X/PIII seems spot on, but I think that uses the Intel thermal diode, not an external sensor.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I got my 2x80mm Sunon fans today. I placed one intake at the bottom front, and the other as exhaust on the allotted space on the back panel.

BTW, I just looked at my first post for this subject and I typed the wrong temps for my cpu load at 100%. (Oops...)

Well, I've had SETI@home running for a little over 6 hours. Using Asus Probe 2.12.07, I'm measured at 47°C with 100% CPU load. I have to see if that temp goes any higher when I play a game I bought (it's a jet fighter simulator...Jane's F/A-18 to be exact). Does anyone think this is good enough? I still have that to try, plus lowering the voltage. (Please reply...)

One more thing, I know my vcore voltage jumpers are set to 1.85v, but Asus Probe reports me at 1.904. Does anyone else see this?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
yep I think set/reported temps are always off. I see 1.89-1.9 with a 1.85 setting.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Okay, I just changed the core voltage jumpers to 1.80v. (Thanks for replying that the Asus Probe reports for voltage was incorrect.) Now, at...40% load, I'm at 42°C. So, I still have to leave SETI@Home running overnight at this voltage, and hopefully, I can get it to stick. (Would this be what you suggest I test stability?) 1.75v wouldn't boot Windows up completely.

BTW, peteb, I have another question. What did you do for your comparison? I ask because I didn't exactly understand what you did. Can you tell me your setup and the steps you took to compare temperatures? I sometimes hesitate about that 10°C offset (or whatever it is). I mean, the way I think is "better safe than sorry".

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

Firstly - to 'burn in' - just do what you do. A good test is leave seti running and then run a few 3dmarks in succession. That stresses things out nicely.

I run seti on my machine 24*7 so it is alway at, or near full load.

To test my temps I bought a small pc digital thermometer probe. It's a termistor on the end of about 2' of wire.

To test, first off I load just the bios. Sit in the menu displaying the temperature the bios thinks. Then, i check the temp against the die of the cpu, under the heatsink whilst it is running. If you look at the cpu layout, near the top there is a short route that you can do this. Leaving it in that state for 15 minutes I figured everything was even and determined that my bios reported temperatures ~ 3 degrees C higher than the probe.

Note - do not insert the thermistor between the cpu die and heatsink. If you feel that inserting the thermistor will lift the heatsink in any way from its normal position - don't do it.

After this - I boot into Windows. from here we can run Asus probe and MBM. When I tried MBM and Sandra before, they both reported temps 3 degrees lower than Asus Probe.

By leaving the thermistor in postition against the die, I again recalibrated. As I said, MBM and Sandra reported temps 3 degrees over that of the actual thermistor (supposedly accurate to .1C Asus probe was 13 degrees over....

Of course you are right to worry about adding an offset if there is none, but I believe that my tests were reasonable, esp. since MBM, BIOS and Sandra all report the same offset from measured actual.

Now, you cannot use these as indicative of YOUR temps. I have read people say that MBM and Asus probe are equal on their A7V133s. That is true on my CUV4x too. For MY A7V133 it appears Asus probe is well off though.

Hope this helps you.

Pete

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If I have some time, I might try doing that to test my temperature. But, would you agree that I'm way better right now than before? I'm pretty content with my setup now. Plus, my computer's pretty loud, and I don't know if I would want a Delta aircraft in my room.

Just waking up, I checked the system monitor and the Asus probe logs. System monitor was logging overnight, and the cpu load was at 100%. So far so good. Then, Asus Probe got as high as 45°C. My idle temp (right now, after shutting SETI@home off) is 42°C. So, those are my results as of now. I still should play that game (haven't gotten around to it yet), and run 3DMark, like you said.

Thanks!