What fan is best for me??

G

Im just bought a athlon 1ghz 233/266 fsb and i was curious what fan i best for me to get...i was thinking about super orb but i heard some bad things about it! I need something that is good at cooling...im not going crazy o/c but i am will be taking to at least 1.2 ghz.

Basically i am looking for the best fan for the money that will be good at cooling and not to loud.

Also i was looking at the global win fop32...is it to loud??

What fan should i get? THanks!

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Look at the <i>Thermosonic ThermoEngine</i>. With the stock fan it gives better than average performance and is very quiet, but if the fan is replaced with a high cfm fan It is one of the best coolers you can buy. I got mine from <A HREF="http://www.inflowdirect.com/thersupcpuco.html" target="_new">Inflow Direct</A> for $29. Make sure you get the standard fan if you want it quiet. The GlobalWin fop32 heatsinks are very good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
I don't know how do you define "good cooling with low noise"
but those are my standards and i chose (and i don't regret, not even by far) the Thermaltake Volcano II.

The Volcano II is quite similar to the FOP32-1, but a bit better at cooling and less noisy... but i reckon the FOP32-1 isn't much noisy... only a bit... so you can see the V2 is "almost" noiseless...

Better yet.. it's really cheap.

You can search the board and you'll find a couple of topics of the Volcano II.

The Thermosonic ThermoEngine is much better than the V2 (expecially with a powerfull fan), but it's also much more expensive, more noisy and at least for me almost impossible to find without ordering abroad :)... Still it's the best option if you favor the "good cooling" phrase in "good cooling with low noise" over "low noise", otherwise i think you can't wrong with the V2...

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Hey I have the 1ghz Athlon C, AXIA stepping. What are your thoughts on an Alpha PAL 6035 cooler?? right now I'm running with a Coolmaster I got just to get this thing running, getting the Alpha cooler tomorrow via UPS. Hopefully going to get 1.4mhz.

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
i have a fop 32 on my t-bird 1gig running at 1.2 at around 46*c it would be lower but my case cooling sux. I would get a fop32 they rock
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
i don't know much about cooling since only recently i got involved in it.... so i really don't now much about Alpha coolers.

But that is because i think the Alpha coolers aren't very good (not saying they're crap) for AMD processors.... most of these days AMD processors come with names like GlobalWin, Swiftech, OCZ and recently Tt (only the V2, the Orbs suck) for coolers..

My advice?

For a best noise/cooling ratio:

1º Thermaltake V2 tied with GlobalWin FOP32-1 (i prefer the V2)

2º ThermoSonic ThermoEngine (2nd because it's more expensive)

Don't believe blindly in what you hear! - Play safe! Play hard!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I'll let you know today how the Alpha cooler does. Alpha and Peltier have always been the top choice for cooling, it's just recently that these newcomers are showing up. But I do believe that I'd stack my Alpha against any of them. Escpecially now that they put 3 fans on the Pal-6035. But I'll crank my 1ghz C Athlon as high as it will go and give you some temps.

G

I finally found an athlon 1ghz c with the axia stepping as well. Im going to pick her up tommorow!! I think i have decided on the global win fop 32.

"funkdog" let me know how your setup goes because our processors should be very similar! What motherboard you runing...im running a a7v133 - Also let me know the cost of all your cooling components because nothing is carved in stone and i may still buy a different cooler!

ALSO: I have a standard cooling paste....is it worth buying arctic silver??

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Hey here's my setup

Athlon 'C' 1ghz unlocked at the moment
Iwill KK266
128mb PC133 Cas2 Rev 1.5 Mushkin sdram
Alpha Pal6035 cooler

Running at 1.13ghz now, 150mhz FSB x 7.5 multiplier.
Had her to 1.28 at 8.5 x 150 earlier. Erased the pencil marks and going to get a conductive pen and do it right. I'm using generic thermal paste, but apparently arctic silver will get you somewhere like 5C cooler.

Right now I can run Seti@Home at full cpu load and I top out at around 45C. Not sure if that's good or bad. General surfing gets me around 34C. Hope that helps. I'm thinking of cranking up the FSB alittle more to find the limit.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
If its not already to late, I recommend the Silverado. A bit pricey though...

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.