Pentium o/c

G

Hey guys,
I heard from a long time ago that Pentium stuff could not be overclocked by the clock multiplier since it's locked? Is it true or not? I'm not too sure myself. So if it's locked then, you must o/c by the FSB. I heard that if you o/c the FSB, you run the risk that o/c the FSB of the CPU, the PCI FSB would be in a non-standard speed (1/4 of 66/100/133 are the standards, aren't they?) and therefore some PCI cards won't work at all since it doesn't like working at non-standard FSB. Is this true too?

We put text in here and that's our signature?

G

The multipliers on Intel CPUs have been locked for a while now. Therefore you must O/C by the FSB. The usual dividers are 1/2 of 66, 1/3 of 100, 1/4 of 133. If your PCI bus speed is too far out of whack, like over 40 MHz, then you've got problems. Most components will handle a few extra MHz though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can overclock to a higher standard clock and everything goes back to normal. Examples are: changing from 66 to 100 on 10 or 133 chipsets, or changing from 100 to 133 on 133 chipsets. In those cases, the PCI and AGP clocks go back to normal.

Suicide is painless...........