fax monitor

Thought I'd repost this question.

I am having a problem with Microsoft Fax Console version 5.1.

Previous to this problem, when I sent a fax, the Fax Monitor would open and
show the progress of the send. When the fax completed, a word balloon would
appear on the System Tray stating that the send was successful.

A few days ago, Fax Monitor stopped appearing when I send a fax. I could
open it manually with the Fax Console 'Tools' drop-down menu, but even when
I did, the Fax Monitor would be blank, and show no progress.

The Fax Console still works and sends faxes successfully, but no Fax Monitor
and no System Tray word balloon.

How can I restore the Fax Monitor to proper function ? (I don't really care
about the word balloon).

I opened Control Panel > Printers and Faxes > Fax > Properties > Tracking.
Under 'Automatically open Fax Monitor when a fax is being':
sent
received
both are checked.
However, the icon at the top of Fax Properties has a white exclamation point
in a red circle.

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

As a second question, does anyone know why Zone Alarm asks me if I want to
let fax console access the internet ? As I understand it, these faxes are
going over my phone modem, not my internet cable. I have always checked
Deny on Zone Alarm, and it has not interfered with my sending faxes either
before this problem appeared, or after.

A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax Monitor
in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in Service
Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem. The following
may also apply:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
Error: "Rule Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse Matched" when you start the
computer
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
Internet Security

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Babel17" <Babel17DELANY@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Thought I'd repost this question.
>
> I am having a problem with Microsoft Fax Console version 5.1.
>
> Previous to this problem, when I sent a fax, the Fax Monitor would open
and
> show the progress of the send. When the fax completed, a word balloon
would
> appear on the System Tray stating that the send was successful.
>
> A few days ago, Fax Monitor stopped appearing when I send a fax. I could
> open it manually with the Fax Console 'Tools' drop-down menu, but even
when
> I did, the Fax Monitor would be blank, and show no progress.
>
> The Fax Console still works and sends faxes successfully, but no Fax
Monitor
> and no System Tray word balloon.
>
> How can I restore the Fax Monitor to proper function ? (I don't really
care
> about the word balloon).
>
> I opened Control Panel > Printers and Faxes > Fax > Properties > Tracking.
> Under 'Automatically open Fax Monitor when a fax is being':
> sent
> received
> both are checked.
> However, the icon at the top of Fax Properties has a white exclamation
point
> in a red circle.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this ?
>
> As a second question, does anyone know why Zone Alarm asks me if I want to
> let fax console access the internet ? As I understand it, these faxes are
> going over my phone modem, not my internet cable. I have always checked
> Deny on Zone Alarm, and it has not interfered with my sending faxes either
> before this problem appeared, or after.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have the exact same experience as you are describing,
and can't figure out what caused it or how to fix it.

I installed an update to Zone Alarm Today, version
5.0.590.015.

Did you happen to recently install a Zone Alarm Update?

Thanks,

Steve

That's a good point.
I updated ZoneAlarm on May 26.
If that is not the day I lost my fax monitor, it's certainly very close.
If this is the cause of the problem, I'm not sure what to do about it.

Babel