Give League of Legends a chance!

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's hard to enjoy LoL. The community gets in the way of an otherwise decent game. The 1% of players who are actually good rarely talk and the 99% of players who are literally awful never shut up. If it wasn't F2P the game would collapse under its own members.

+1 ^ Trust me, I've given LoL a chance, for 1.5 years, then I got into dota2 beta and LoL became just a bad memory.

When it debuted, the graphics were fresh and the game was doing some things differently from the already established dota1 and HoN. So, it was interesting and exciting while you learned the game. The problem came after you've learned everything there's to know about the game, when the initial thrill of excitement of something new is gone. Then you're left with the harsh reality:

- Development focuses on spitting out cookie cutter champions every 2-3 weeks in order to keep the cash flow.
- Pro-scene is there, but very hard to reach for an average player due to Riot hogging the scene and the only ability to do some sort of broadcast is to stream.
- Terrible community of trolls, little immature kids and downright stuck up individuals that would rather flunk the game than work with their team. Not to say that it doesn't happen in other mobas, but once I switched to dota2 there's a huge difference that you notice.

I'll go into more depth, if anyone wishes to discuss further, let me know. But in all honesty, after 2.5 years of coming to the market League still has to make due on a lot of promises and with dota 2 in the works, Riot will have to double up on their efforts just to come up to the new plank that Valve is setting.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

This.

It's obvious that they devote a significant portion of their resources developing a new character to sell to 12 year olds every few weeks rather than develop the game with new maps and mods to keep players interested.

Yup, I fully agree with that sentiment, it's been 2.5 years, they have yet to come up with a replay feature...

But, what's most daunting is that all the new champions coming out are so similar to already existing ones. How much you want to bet the new champion coming out in a few weeks will have a slow/silence/stun, some form of shield/damage mitigation mechanic or small dash, and then the last skill will be a ranged damage nuke or on-hit damage nuke. In their attempt to make the game balanced they homogenized it, you can build the same items on 20 champions and they will work all the same, and you can win games easily with such strategy. In effect, the champions lost their uniqueness, you can substitute one for another because there's over 20 that can fill any particular role with very similar playstyle, item and skill builds. It's daunting to not see creativity from a developer.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Don't even try to explain this to an avid LoL player who follows it as an esport though. In addition to everything that's already been said about it in this thread, its fans are some of the most self-aggrandizing human beings in the gaming community.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I don't even play regular 5v5 anymore. You can't be a casual gamer in the gaming community they promote. I don't want to play LoL 24/7, I just want to play a round now or then. If you aren't 'pro' in a unranked 5v5 match it's apocolyptic to these people. I'm by no means bad, either.