How hot is too hot?

G

I just set up my rig last night,
AMD1ghz
MSI K7T266 pro
256m PC2100 DDR
Geforce2 Pro 64
CDrw

With just the case fan and heatsink/fan my cpu temp hit 165 degrees, after installing an exhaust fan and reconfiguring the case fan to draw air we dropped to 130, now my question is, is this too hot? You see I'm upgrading from an old pentium 200 that was in a MONSTER case, heat wasnt even an issue. thanks for the help...

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it's ok but it'll help if you do the conversion to celcius for me. It should be under 50. Under 40 is nice. I think 45 is around what should be normal for non-overclockers. I think 40C is around 110F. But that initial temp of 165F was near meltdown. You might wanna consider getting a new heatsink/fan combo.

Your Signature Sucks

G

temp in celcius is right at 50c, sometimes jumps to 51/52c I

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
165F = 83.1C
130F = 61.2C

Can anyone say 'Houston - we have a problem...'

Either your heatsink is not installed properly or it is junk. Are you running the retail heatsink with the little pad on it, or did you buy your own - and if so - what did you get?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
And to give you a reference, my aircooled 1.33 Athlon running @ 1.56Ghz and 1.85V maxes at 47C = 107F

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what are you doing to cool it? what brand of HSF are you using? just curious, as i'm trying to avoid the same issues the guy above is having with the same processor.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

G

I'm running a Volcanoe II, I also have a standard case fan, and an exhaust blower. You say that 47C = 107F??? According to my BIOS temps, 50C = 130F.... I'm a bit confused here...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
the equasion from C to F is, as I recall, mult by 5/8 and add 32.

I just checked a web converter and that's different from both, saying 130F = 54 Celcius.

Hold on, I'll do some more research and get back.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
ahh yes - km to miles is 5/8 C to F is 9/5 an add 32...

=> 160F = 71.1C
=> 130F = 54.4C

My 47C = 116.6C

Sorry about that.

G

ok, so back to my original question, if my BIOS is showing a cpu temp of 52C and a system temp of aroun 45C, is this a problem? I'm not planning on overclocking until I get a bigger case (I think this may be the culprit)I just want to know if I can run at this temp without frying my components...thanks for the help.

G

52C for the CPU is okay if you're not overclocking. but your system temp is 45C? If by system temp you mean motherboard chipset temp, I've never heard anyone mention a mobo temp higher than 35C, so that sounds very strange to me. Generally the mobo temp is a few degrees over room temp (say room is 24C and mobo is 30C). Of course, if you live in a tropical jungle with no air conditioning, that 45C might be okay :)

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
what kind of software do you use to monitor your cpu temp when your in windows/linux versus the bios? My Bios temp always is about 25-30c but I'm not sure how hot she's running when I'm running say Seti@home??? Any pointers?

G

I've tried the Asus Probe software which came with my Asus A7V133 motherboard. I think it is specific to Asus products and some versions give higher readings than others under the same conditions. I also downloaded a copy of SiSoft's Sandra software which can gives you all kinds of info about your system including temps no matter what you've got. MBM5 (Motherboard Monitor 5) is also highly recommended by many forum members. I've seen both on many random ftp sites. There's probably also a "real" website supported by the authors but I don't know what that would be.

G

I'm pretty sure system temp is refering to the temp inside the case. However, I have been known to be mistaken from time to time.

G

Oh, I agree that system temp should refer to temp of the air in the case. I just wasn't sure if the poster meant to say system or mobo temp. I think 45C on the mobo is very high and 45C air inside the case is also pretty high and would indicate some pretty bad air flow. Of course, I'm basing that opinion on the fact that the air coming from the exhaust fans on my computer doesn't really feel much higher than room temp. I'm not aware that my system has a way to measure the system temp, just mobo and CPU, so I really don't have anything to compare with.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Most systems wouldn't measure ambient case temperature (through BIOS anyway).

Order or commonality -
CPU temp (Via Intel diode if using Intel or sensor near CPU on AMD boards)
Motherboard temp
Power Supply Temp
Others.

If your mobo is 45 degrees it is way too hot.
If your ambient case temp is 45 degrees then everything else that generates heat in your case (HDD, CPU, MOBO, Vid Card etc.) is OVER 45 degrees, since they must be heating it.

Whatever is 45 dgrees, try and get it cooler. Leave the side of your case and see what it goes down to, if you have case fans, check they are plugged in. If you don't have case fans, consider getting some. Check your PSU blows out, instead of into the case - a fairly common and utterly ridiculous situation.

G

I cant take the case completely off, but I did open the side panel, dropped the cpu temp to 42.5C and has been stable there ever since. I think if I had a bigger case with better ventellation I should be able to get it drop even further.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
What kind of cooling pete B?? My Athlon 'C' gig running at 150x8.5=1275mhz tops out at 52C, I would love to bring that down to the mid 45's. Of course that 52C is with a full load on it. Surfing the web and chatting only gets 31C.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
currently got a swiftech 370 and a delta on there. definite aircraft tendencies....