Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will This Setup Run Games On Ultra?

Last response: in Video Games
Share

Will It Run Games On Ultra?

Total: 13 votes (4 blank votes)

  • Yes, Very Well (60 fps)
  • 0 %
  • Yes, But Okay (40ish fps)
  • 34 %
  • No, But On High
  • 56 %
  • No, But on Medium
  • 12 %
  • No, But on Low
  • 0 %
May 6, 2012 10:48:15 PM

Hey guys, I have asked this before but I left out some details and I have changed a little bit of stuff. Here are the specs:

Monitor: LG Flatron EW224 1152x864

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1000314-3L 1GB GDDR5 OXIDE Express 2.1 x16

Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Processor: Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz Quad Core

PSU: COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W ATX12V ATX 12V v2.2 SLI Certified

Can I play BF3, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Dirt 3, GTA IV, Crysis and other games on Ultra/Max? If there are any inexpensive changes I can make to make the games run faster please tell me. Please answer the poll.

More about : setup run games ultra

May 6, 2012 10:52:33 PM

at that resolution yes. If you get a new monitor (1080p) it will struggle to max them.
May 7, 2012 1:25:23 AM

Why are you gaming at 864p?

A single last-generation mid-range card will struggle to render current games on ULTRA/MAX. Your ultra-low resolution may give it additional headroom, but without providing you a definitive yes or no, or giving you a speculative quantitative answer (e.g. 40 fps), I am going to say the prospect is dubious.

I would suggest you Crossfire two 6870s. Then you would be smoking, and probably could get away with maxing out most settings at 1080p.
Related resources
May 7, 2012 1:33:51 AM

Taznar said:
Hey guys, I have asked this before but I left out some details and I have changed a little bit of stuff. Here are the specs:

Monitor: LG Flatron EW224 1152x864

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1000314-3L 1GB GDDR5 OXIDE Express 2.1 x16

Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Processor: Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz Quad Core

PSU: COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W ATX12V ATX 12V v2.2 SLI Certified

Can I play BF3, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Dirt 3, GTA IV, Crysis and other games on Ultra/Max? If there are any inexpensive changes I can make to make the games run faster please tell me. Please answer the poll.


Are you going to overclock your cpu? if not id recommend getting the new ivy bridge i5 3550. around the same price. And how much are you willing to pay for the gpu?
May 7, 2012 2:53:02 AM

Gumbii said:
Are you going to overclock your cpu? if not id recommend getting the new ivy bridge i5 3550. around the same price. And how much are you willing to pay for the gpu?

Not willing to pay a lot more. This is my first real gaming rig. I have heard that games such as BF3 are more about graphics cards rather than CPUs. I wont pay more than 600 in all, and that is just because I am upgrading my old PC. I was originally going to just go and build a whole new computer but with all of the new stuff it came up to about 750 bucks, so I just simply took the important features and decided I would put them into my current computer, I actually decided that I would get a different PSU. COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC. That was just to save me some money, but I do have some breathing room, maybe 20 dollars or so. Do you recommend I look into a better cpu or graphics card. I'm thinking graphics card but it won't get much better without an expensive upgrade, and I really don't want to completely fix my build since I have everything chosen. I really should just shell out the extra 150 and build a whole new one, but I just don't want to spend that sort of money and 600 is really pushing it. I forgot to mention I am 13 so I can't really earn much more money anyways since I can't legally get a job aside from little side jobs like mowing yards and etc. And I know that the monitor resolution isn't great but it's good enough for me.
May 7, 2012 2:59:59 AM

I don't see much of an increase in the Ivy Bridge. Still a 3.3Ghz Quad Core just like my 2500k, I am seeing people playing maxed out with the same graphics card and processor combo on youtube. Check this video out, in the description he says he gets 35-40 fps on ultra with the same processor and graphics card as me, but he is playing on high. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxWp1XIaPY
May 7, 2012 3:21:54 AM

Taznar said:
Not willing to pay a lot more. This is my first real gaming rig. I have heard that games such as BF3 are more about graphics cards rather than CPUs. I wont pay more than 600 in all, and that is just because I am upgrading my old PC. I was originally going to just go and build a whole new computer but with all of the new stuff it came up to about 750 bucks, so I just simply took the important features and decided I would put them into my current computer, I actually decided that I would get a different PSU. COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC. That was just to save me some money, but I do have some breathing room, maybe 20 dollars or so. Do you recommend I look into a better cpu or graphics card. I'm thinking graphics card but it won't get much better without an expensive upgrade, and I really don't want to completely fix my build since I have everything chosen. I really should just shell out the extra 150 and build a whole new one, but I just don't want to spend that sort of money and 600 is really pushing it. I forgot to mention I am 13 so I can't really earn much more money anyways since I can't legally get a job aside from little side jobs like mowing yards and etc. And I know that the monitor resolution isn't great but it's good enough for me.


The CPU is fine. Definately go for a better gpu. The 6870 is fine but if you had some more money id go for this
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PI8/ref=ox_sc_a...

And 400w isnt going to be enough to run everything.
600w -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2T2UQ/ref=ox_sc_a...
Sorry there a bit pricey , they might be over your budget, but that should be able to run most games high - ultra
May 7, 2012 10:17:05 AM

that system is good for high quality gaming. you may not be able to run the newest games on ultra but you will be able to play them at near max... high and ultra often have very small differences in quality for a very large hit in performance.
so your selected kit will play games fine...
i was gonna suggest you get a cheaper motherboard but your already getting 1 of the cheaper 1s... shame really coz if you can save a few quid here and there you may be able to get a 670 which will turn your rig into a high end gaming system instead of midrange.
150 extra would make all the difference.
(the 670 is supposedly out next week, going by tweaktown and is supposedly gonna be priced at around 250)
!