Flashed BIOS- Runs cooler but....

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
In my quest to cool down the athlon (900@1.2), I have downloaded and flashed my asus a7v133a with an updated bios (1004fxd) It lowered my temps 10C !!! (from 46-47C to 34-35C cpu temp) I was definatly happy about that, but I have found when the processor is at idle, (ie. leave it on for a while) I come back and it has crept up to 40-41C, but as soon as I start using it it jumps down to 35 within 2 or 3 minutes, and after and hour of crankin a way at it it stays at 35C the whole time. Also I noticed the fan rpms seem to have dropped when the cpu is at idle, and when the cpu is being used it spools back up?? 40 degrees at idle is fine, but i wonder if there is somthing i can do to get it to run at 35 all the time. It seems like it should be the opposite lower temp at idle and higher temp under load?? any ideas?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your power supply probably has active cooling, meaning the fan slows down when the power output is down to "save energy". Since your power supply fan also pulls hot air from the case, when it slows down your heat rises. You can either get an extra fan or a different power supply that has no active cooling.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm using 1005, which is supposed to fix the IDE issue too, but haven't really noticed a cpu cooling effect.

What is your register 52 set at in this bios? Mine is still at 6B, not EB.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

I tried that 1004FXD Bios and it was way less stable than 1005X - I lost 4FSB (44Mhz) of stable performace. I'll survive the extra couple of degrees and stay at 1005X.

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Well after playing around with some flashing, I went ahead and used the 1005fxd and still runs pretty cool (40C under load) I am definatly in the market to upgrade my PS as it stands now it is 200watt not nearly enough for the 2 IDE drives 4 fans and cd burner. What I found was the fans are actually slowing down when the processor is underload and drawing power. any reccomedations on a new wattage and a place to get one?

Also peteb, what is the register 52 in the bios, and what does it do?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
register 52 is this cpu idle register. supposedly when set to eb is when you get the cpu cooling.

I use a 450W enermax supply on my Athlon setup. has 8 molex connectors !!