Multiple Printers

June 8, 2004 2:10:23 AM

I just got a new system running windows xp sp1 and it came with a lexmark
X2250 all in one printer. I already have an HP laserjet 4200 printer. When
I connect the 4200 to the paralell port it works fine. I then connected the
Lexmark to a USB port and the scanning function works but the when I try to
print to it I get "communication in not avaiable" and the 4200 still works
fine. I powered off the 4200 and then unitstalled it from the system and
the Lexmark will then print. When I reinstall the 4200 the lexmark gets the
communications error again.

Is it possible to have multiple printers set up locally on the same system
and if so what am I missing.

More about : multiple printers

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:10:24 AM

You need to install software for USB printers BEFORE connecting them to the
PC.
www.coribright.com

"Ken" <kbanville@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just got a new system running windows xp sp1 and it came with a lexmark
> X2250 all in one printer. I already have an HP laserjet 4200 printer.
When
> I connect the 4200 to the paralell port it works fine. I then connected
the
> Lexmark to a USB port and the scanning function works but the when I try
> print to it I get "communication in not avaiable" and the 4200 still works
> fine. I powered off the 4200 and then unitstalled it from the system and
> the Lexmark will then print. When I reinstall the 4200 the lexmark gets
the
> communications error again.
>
> Is it possible to have multiple printers set up locally on the same system
> and if so what am I missing.

June 8, 2004 4:39:02 AM

The software is installed the printer connected to the USB port will work if
I deinstall the printer to the paralell port. It is only when both printers
are installed that the print functuion on the Lexmark printer (connected to
the USB port) does not work.

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> You need to install software for USB printers BEFORE connecting them to
the
> PC.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Ken" <kbanville@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I just got a new system running windows xp sp1 and it came with a
lexmark
> > X2250 all in one printer. I already have an HP laserjet 4200 printer.
> When
> > I connect the 4200 to the paralell port it works fine. I then connected
> the
> > Lexmark to a USB port and the scanning function works but the when I try
> > print to it I get "communication in not avaiable" and the 4200 still
works
> > fine. I powered off the 4200 and then unitstalled it from the system
and
> > the Lexmark will then print. When I reinstall the 4200 the lexmark gets
> the
> > communications error again.
> >
> > Is it possible to have multiple printers set up locally on the same
system
> > and if so what am I missing.

June 8, 2004 10:14:10 PM

One of the things to try is to find the printer "monitor"
application/utility and disable it.
This can be as simple as deselecting the printer status monitor in the
printer driver setup window, or as complex as using something like msconfig
to prevent the monitor from loading at startup. Worst case is having to use
regedit to remove the appropriate entries from the registery.
For whatever reasons the printer status monitors often have conflicts.

news:o 6KdnYYzm6p231jdRVn-vw@comcast.com...

!