Making small changes to run Diablo 3...

Hello Community,

As a previous long-time player of Diablo 1 and 2, I've got some serious interest in playing Diablo 3. However, I'm not a serious PC gamer and don't want to drop a ton of money to just play this one game.

I'm currently running an older system from, hm, probably '07. It has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 2400 (256 MB)
RAM: 2 GB DD2-PC2-5300 (2 1 GB Sims)
PS: 340 W (I believe, not at home to check)

With the latest benchmark/performance review not putting a big premium on the CPU, I'm wondering if I could upgrade the GPU and RAM and get away with good performance running D3.

For RAM I know I can upgrade to DDR2 PC2-8500 with 2, 2GB Sims (won't get full 4 GB without upgrading to 64-bit OS, as I understand it, but much better than the 2 GB I'm running now).

For the GPU it seems like I can put in a Radeon 7750 1 GB card (55 W power requirement) and not need to replace my PSU (though I do have access to a 700W Thermaltake from a friend if I need it/should get a better GPU that needs more power).

My question is whether upgrading just the RAM and the GPU will be enough to get good performance on D3 (1920x1080 with most moderate-high level graphics settings)...

Thanks in advance for any response!
3 answers Last reply
More about making small diablo
  1. according to the benchmark article Tom's did today, I'd say it should be very good performance if you can get 7750 in there.
  2. The 7750 and 2 more gigs of ram should be more than adequate.
  3. Thanks for the original responses, guys.

I went with the 7750 and the 2 more GB of RAM.

Game runs very smooth at 1920x1080 with everything set to high. I was somewhat surprised by this, but definitely more happy than surprised.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Diablo Video Games