Low FPS in Bf3

2sneaky4u

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I am still having issues with bf3. I just built my new system and I am only getting around 35-40 fps. I was getting 20-30 on my old system. With a new build on a new system and only getting 10-20 fps increase is confusing. I have installed updated drivers. I have changed the setting from ultra to low and am still getting the same frame rates using fraps. I am sure I forgot something that would help so let me know if you need any further info
My new system is
Intel 3750k Ivy bridge
MSI 7850oc
Asus p8z77-v Deluxe
Gskill 16gig DDR3 1600 sniper
850 w Power supply

Solution
are you recording with FRAPS or similar and have a slow hard drive?

also, do you have a spare HDD or partition that you could install windows on (temporarily) and just install the basics (windows, graphics drivers, origin and BF3). play BF3 as normal and see if the problem persists, if it doesnt, then you know its software that is conflicting, for instance anti-virus or GPU overclocking program.
This is useful in diagnosing any software issues you may have. this method worked for me!

powah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
35-40fps is normal with ur system if your running everything on ULTRA on 1080P.

fraps usually caps your fps to around 30 fps anyways. Have you friend running it without fraps to see how ur frames are ?

powah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
35 - 40 fps is average for the specs for your system especially on B2K maps on full ultra and 1080P. Are you only getting low fps when your running fraps ? have you tried seeing what your fps is while fraps isn't running

Im using CF 6950's and in B2K i drop to low 40's in B2K maps. But generally have 70+fps fps on full ultra 1080P 90 FoV

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
are you recording with FRAPS or similar and have a slow hard drive?

also, do you have a spare HDD or partition that you could install windows on (temporarily) and just install the basics (windows, graphics drivers, origin and BF3). play BF3 as normal and see if the problem persists, if it doesnt, then you know its software that is conflicting, for instance anti-virus or GPU overclocking program.
This is useful in diagnosing any software issues you may have. this method worked for me!

Solution

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
are you doing any screen recording (for instance fraps)? as this can eat up frames when paired with a slow HDD.

another thing to consider is software issues such as an interfering anti-virus or GPU overclocking utility. do you have a spare HDD or partition you can use to load a fresh copy of windows on? if you do just install the basics: windows, graphics drivers, origin and BF3. play as normal and see if the problem persists, if it's gone then you know it's another piece of software that is interfering. I did this myself (when diagnosing constant freezing in BF3) and I found the problematic software this way.

2sneaky4u

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I did not mention that the low fps was on low settiings (sorry). this is a new build with a fresh install of the os win 7 64. i do understand that fraps will cause a hit on the fps. but i did get it fixed i got a bsod that night and had to update the bios to 1015 and i uninstalled the virtua mvp program that is suposed to increase performance. now i am getting about 120 fps on med settings. i thank you all for your help.

2sneaky4u

Honorable
May 7, 2012

not recording but i have a 120 ssd at 6 Gb/s connected to the 6Gb sata port

2sneaky4u

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I do think it was software related because it is not an issue now that i have updatedthe bios again and uninstalled the virtua mvp program. Running 120-150 fps on med settings with fraps running.