[EQ1] Next Server Merge Announced

Last response: in Video Games
February 23, 2005 10:49:55 PM

I hadn't seen this posted yet.

On March 22, 2005, we will begin the process of merging some of the
EverQuest servers. As we have seen from the recent success of the Zek
merger, combining some of the EQ worlds is beneficial for players’
experience. In fact, we have been pleasantly surprised to find that
the new Zek server now has a higher population than the four combined
servers had prior to that merger. We hope that by merging some of our
lower population servers with a higher population server, we will
continue to enhance your gameplay experience

Merging Servers

On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
retain the name Antonius Bayle.

On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
the name Bristlebane.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:37:04 AM

Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <33gq11tp9jk0vdcqn2vgjmvervtcao1i3p@4ax.com>,
> Shella <shella4711@hotmail.com> quoted Sony:
> > On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
> > retain the name Antonius Bayle.
> >
> > On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will
retain
> > the name Bristlebane.
>
> So how are they dealing with name conflicts?

In EQ2 they added an X to the name of the character with the least
played time and the owner of that character had to choose a new name
and petition to get it changed.

steve.kaye
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:25:41 AM

Charles Whitney wrote:
> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

> > In EQ2 they added an X to the name of the character with the least
> > played time and the owner of that character had to choose a new
name
> > and petition to get it changed.
>
> I was under the impression that if the person who had an X added to
the end
> of his name didn't have a problem with it, he was under no obligation
> petition to have the name changed.

Yeah, your right - there was no obligation to change your name I just
worded it incorrectly.

> As for me, I shall be using my two accounts to make characters named
Buttse
> on all the affected servers.

:-)

steve.kaye
February 24, 2005 8:44:29 AM

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

> Tim Smith wrote:
>> In article <33gq11tp9jk0vdcqn2vgjmvervtcao1i3p@4ax.com>,
>> Shella <shella4711@hotmail.com> quoted Sony:
>> > On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
>> > retain the name Antonius Bayle.
>> >
>> > On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will
> retain
>> > the name Bristlebane.
>>
>> So how are they dealing with name conflicts?
>
> In EQ2 they added an X to the name of the character with the least
> played time and the owner of that character had to choose a new name
> and petition to get it changed.

I was under the impression that if the person who had an X added to the end
of his name didn't have a problem with it, he was under no obligation to
petition to have the name changed.

As for me, I shall be using my two accounts to make characters named Buttse
on all the affected servers.

February 24, 2005 9:43:19 AM

In article <33gq11tp9jk0vdcqn2vgjmvervtcao1i3p@4ax.com>,
Shella <shella4711@hotmail.com> quoted Sony:
> On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
> retain the name Antonius Bayle.
>
> On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
> the name Bristlebane.

So how are they dealing with name conflicts?

In DAoC, they've taken an interesting approach to this problem. They
are "clustering" servers. They take two or three servers, and make it
so that these servers share their frontiers, but they remain separate
outside the frontiers. There are NPCs that can port you between the
non-frontier areas of the servers in the cluster, so you can visit the
other servers in the cluster. You cannot join a guild on another
server, and I don't think you can buy housing in the housing zones from
the other servers.

For name conflicts, people from other servers have "of Server" after
their name, so if, say, Pellinor and Merlin were two servers in a
cluster, and you are Soandso on Pellinor, and were standing next to
Soandso from Merlin, people from Pellinor would see you as "Soandso" and
see him as "Soandso of Merlin". People from Merlin would see you as
"Soandso of Pellinor" and their Soandso as just "Soandso".

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:49:55 -0700, Shella <shella4711@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>Merging Servers
>
>On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
>retain the name Antonius Bayle.
>
>On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
>the name Bristlebane.

How's the population on Lanys T'Vyl these days? That's where my chars
are and I've been thinking about coming back. The idea of less
crowded areas actually intrigued me, and a server merge might actually
discourage me from coming back. Unless of course it's pitifully low
population and NEEDS a merger to survive...

I was surprised to see two "normal" servers merge. Aren't Bristlebane
and Solusek two of the original servers that were available on launch
day? Or am I remembering wrong?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:52:43 PM

Shella wrote:

> Merging Servers

Wow. I really, really expected this to take longer.

> On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
> retain the name Antonius Bayle.

The new server merger pool wasn't even done yet! I was going to
recompile it this weekend. But since I excluded the European servers,
this part doesn't matter.

> On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
> the name Bristlebane.

But this part does. I'll still recompile and announce the new
winner, and reiterate my sense of shock.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:26:03 PM

On 24 Feb 2005 03:25:41 -0800 in
<1109244341.723266.116120@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "steve.kaye"
<nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>Yeah, your right - there was no obligation to change your name I just
>worded it incorrectly.

Hmmm... maybe I'll go to both Bristlebane and Solusek Ro, and start
characters named Malcom.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:19:14 AM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:52:43 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Shella wrote:
>
>> Merging Servers
>
> Wow. I really, really expected this to take longer.
>
>> On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
>> retain the name Antonius Bayle.
>
> The new server merger pool wasn't even done yet! I was going to
>recompile it this weekend. But since I excluded the European servers,
>this part doesn't matter.
>

>> On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
>> the name Bristlebane.
>
> But this part does. I'll still recompile and announce the new
>winner, and reiterate my sense of shock.

what the hell are you talking about?
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:28:16 AM

"RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:52:43 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
> <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
> >> retain the name Antonius Bayle.
> >
> > The new server merger pool wasn't even done yet! I was going to
> >recompile it this weekend. But since I excluded the European servers,
> >this part doesn't matter.
> >

> >> On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
> >> the name Bristlebane.
> >
> > But this part does. I'll still recompile and announce the new
> >winner, and reiterate my sense of shock.
>

> what the hell are you talking about?

Annie is running a pool on when the EQ1 servers would merge.
Many of us have picked a date.
Looks like there was a winner a little sooner than expected.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:28:18 PM

Pamela Carlton wrote:

> "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message

> > what the hell are you talking about?
>
> Annie is running a pool on when the EQ1 servers would merge.
> Many of us have picked a date.
> Looks like there was a winner a little sooner than expected.

I guess if one didn't know about the server merger pool, my post
would look a bit odd. I guess not everyone reads every subject header.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:01:51 PM

"Pamela Carlton" <lambchop@whocareswhere.com> wrote in news:kXwTd.174477
$K7.130971@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message

>> > The new server merger pool wasn't even done yet! I was going to
>> >recompile it this weekend. But since I excluded the European
servers,
>> >this part doesn't matter.

>> > But this part does. I'll still recompile and announce the new
>> > winner, and reiterate my sense of shock.
>>

>> what the hell are you talking about?
>
> Annie is running a pool on when the EQ1 servers would merge.
> Many of us have picked a date.
> Looks like there was a winner a little sooner than expected.

Well, not sooner than I expected. :b

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 13 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:06:54 AM

Shella wrote:
> I hadn't seen this posted yet.
>
> On March 22, 2005, we will begin the process of merging some of the
> EverQuest servers. As we have seen from the recent success of the Zek
> merger, combining some of the EQ worlds is beneficial for players’
> experience. In fact, we have been pleasantly surprised to find that
> the new Zek server now has a higher population than the four combined
> servers had prior to that merger. We hope that by merging some of our
> lower population servers with a higher population server, we will
> continue to enhance your gameplay experience
>
> Merging Servers
>
> On March 22nd, Antonius Bayle will merge with Kane Bayle and will
> retain the name Antonius Bayle.
Not surprising
> On March 23rd, Bristlebane will merge with Solusek Ro and will retain
> the name Bristlebane.
>O.O<
Gee... I remember Bristlebane being one of the most populous servers...

I wonder why they are taking 'old ones'... maybe they are looking at the
relative ages... they are both quite old, so their populations and
economy should be similar.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:07:05 AM

Charles Whitney wrote:
> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Tim Smith wrote:
>>
>>>In article <33gq11tp9jk0vdcqn2vgjmvervtcao1i3p@4ax.com>,
>>> Shella <shella4711@hotmail.com> quoted Sony:

>>retain

>>>So how are they dealing with name conflicts?
>>
>>In EQ2 they added an X to the name of the character with the least
>>played time and the owner of that character had to choose a new name
>>and petition to get it changed.
>

> I was under the impression that if the person who had an X added to the end
> of his name didn't have a problem with it, he was under no obligation to
> petition to have the name changed.
>
> As for me, I shall be using my two accounts to make characters named Buttse
> on all the affected servers.

uhm, well... I happen to be familier with someone named
(something-or-other)se whose name got an x appended to it. He was
requested to... come up with something different.
!