Print pictures original size

In XP (Home ed.) how do you simply print pictures their
original size? E.g. I have scanned a 9"x7" item into a
tif or jpg. I want it to print exactly 9x7 as scanned,
not expanded to the paper size or printed in various
mutlti-up configurations suitable for photos.

The W/Explorer right click menu Print option brings up a
utility, obviously designed for standard photos, that has
NO option for "print same size". If I print from the
image viewer, I get exactly the same utility. The default
for viewing & printing most if not all image types is a
utility called shimgvw, which I presume is what I'm
getting. Even if I drag & drop the image on the printer,
it expands it to full page!

The only workaround I have found so far is to import the
image into MSWord, which WILL print it original size if
the margins are sufficient.

Surely there is some simple way to _just_ print an image
as is (or a simple text file for that matter)in XP without
overly friendly software getting in the way? I cannot
find any method or system setting in Windows Help or
knowledge base to do this. No doubt there is third party
sofware that will print original size, but all I want is a
simple right click option or a Send To that doesn't resize.

Tony

XP is an operating system, not an image processing
application. It has no native ability to do what you want
to do. You can get a third-party application or just keep
whining--it's your choice.

MS Word is very simple to resize picture. Whats wrong with that?

"Tony Patriarche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP (Home ed.) how do you simply print pictures their
> original size? E.g. I have scanned a 9"x7" item into a
> tif or jpg. I want it to print exactly 9x7 as scanned,
> not expanded to the paper size or printed in various
> mutlti-up configurations suitable for photos.
>
> The W/Explorer right click menu Print option brings up a
> utility, obviously designed for standard photos, that has
> NO option for "print same size". If I print from the
> image viewer, I get exactly the same utility. The default
> for viewing & printing most if not all image types is a
> utility called shimgvw, which I presume is what I'm
> getting. Even if I drag & drop the image on the printer,
> it expands it to full page!
>
> The only workaround I have found so far is to import the
> image into MSWord, which WILL print it original size if
> the margins are sufficient.
>
> Surely there is some simple way to _just_ print an image
> as is (or a simple text file for that matter)in XP without
> overly friendly software getting in the way? I cannot
> find any method or system setting in Windows Help or
> knowledge base to do this. No doubt there is third party
> sofware that will print original size, but all I want is a
> simple right click option or a Send To that doesn't resize.
>
> Tony

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Perhaps the problem is due to the scanning process, followed by the printing
resolution.
A place to start would be to get a viewer such as irfan viewer that allow
you to see the file information as scanned.
(and change it)
Then, remember that your scanner and printer have different dots per inch
modes.
A scanned file can be defined in either or both pixels and size- dots per
inch or overall size, and have the size information stored in the file.
In otherwords, a 640x480 pixel picture file can also have a size of less
than one inch, or fill most of the printed page.
I use a HP scanner (3970) The software for it has two distinctly different
driver packages. One is installed with the scanner software, and the other
is apart of winXP or one of the office apps.
The scanner copy function produces a slightly different size result,
depending on which driver package is active.
Using a different printer may also have a similar effect.

When you add the monitor resolution and file size to the overall list of
considerations, things get a bit complex.

Scanner resolution 320-360 dpi (high quality)
Monitor 92 pixels per inch , 1024x768 resolution (commonnly used) Larger
quite possible
Printer variable, depending on setting. Usually between 320 and 760,
bleed/blending can increase to 1440 or more.

"Tony Patriarche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP (Home ed.) how do you simply print pictures their
> original size? E.g. I have scanned a 9"x7" item into a
> tif or jpg. I want it to print exactly 9x7 as scanned,
> not expanded to the paper size or printed in various
> mutlti-up configurations suitable for photos.
>
> The W/Explorer right click menu Print option brings up a
> utility, obviously designed for standard photos, that has
> NO option for "print same size". If I print from the
> image viewer, I get exactly the same utility. The default
> for viewing & printing most if not all image types is a
> utility called shimgvw, which I presume is what I'm
> getting. Even if I drag & drop the image on the printer,
> it expands it to full page!
>
> The only workaround I have found so far is to import the
> image into MSWord, which WILL print it original size if
> the margins are sufficient.
>
> Surely there is some simple way to _just_ print an image
> as is (or a simple text file for that matter)in XP without
> overly friendly software getting in the way? I cannot
> find any method or system setting in Windows Help or
> knowledge base to do this. No doubt there is third party
> sofware that will print original size, but all I want is a
> simple right click option or a Send To that doesn't resize.
>
> Tony

Thank heaven for MSWord! The last version I checked even
compressed bitmaps to smaller than JPGs. Even so,
importing images all the time into Word becomes
cumbersome.

All I want is a very simple print command within XP -- is
that too much to ask? Or, at least, that the default XP
image printing software include "Original Size" as an
option -- I am flabbergasted that it doesn't!

Tony
------------

Tony Patriarche wrote:

> Thank heaven for MSWord! The last version I checked even
> compressed bitmaps to smaller than JPGs. Even so,
> importing images all the time into Word becomes
> cumbersome.
>
> All I want is a very simple print command within XP -- is
> that too much to ask? Or, at least, that the default XP
> image printing software include "Original Size" as an
> option -- I am flabbergasted that it doesn't!
>
> Tony
> ------------

Try Irfanview for windows. Its available at tucows, and
irfanview.com. If you use it, also download the file
allplugins.exe and install. This gives you ability to open
and print pictures of almost any format. And you can print
original size double sized, half sized. Right now the author
does not ask full purchase, but will accept donations to
further his work.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed