New Corsair SSD Line Does 480MB/sec Reads

Status
Not open for further replies.

endorphines

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
WOW, that press release was bought and paid for by Intel... I's not like anyone else in the industry has had SATA II for a year already :-O

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]endorphines[/nom]WOW, that press release was bought and paid for by Intel... I's not like anyone else in the industry has had SATA II for a year already :-O[/citation]
Unless someone did a ninja edit, you're reading that wrong.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The new Intel 2nd Generation Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs offer enthusiasts great performance and overclocking flexibility

That's not true about overclocking. And I'm curious why special mention was made to Sandy Bridge, is their SATA III any different from other platforms that offer it?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have a question, does anyone really care about write speed?

i mean for me read and io operations are a big must but write? id be satisfied with sub 100 write speeds, so long as they are consistent

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I ill be waiting for a 512GB version. Thats if price per GB is cheap enough for me to buy. I hope SSD becomes cheap for next gen 2.0 consoles;
32bit(xbox360) Address space with a slow optical drive are killing developers.

It's time companies started putting out games on flash modules or some other form of faster media. Optical based media is simply too slow now.

erraticfocus

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
If this new generation of SSDs pushes down the price of the current Sandforce SATAII SSDs I'm happy for it to be out there.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I have a feeling that by the time ssd's come into my price range to be able to replace the slow mo 320gb drive in my laptop, it will be time for me to just get a new laptop entirely.

endoftheline

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
[citation][nom]The_Prophecy[/nom]It's time companies started putting out games on flash modules or some other form of faster media. Optical based media is simply too slow now.[/citation]

Well they basically do by offering the games online via platforms like steam, etc and allowing you to download them your hard drive. Just get a crazy fast SSD and you can essentially choose to use that

heartspeace

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Fact is - most people don't realize they dont need a huge size. Put JUST the OS on it and put all the programs/etc on a 7200 RPM drive (if laptop - whatever speed you can decently get that doesn't suck your battery dry as a ... (well leave off the analogy).

Bottom line, most people will and should afford enough of an SSD for their basic OS. Put the absolute necessary on it, and put all user info/data/programs you dont need/use every day on different drive. It's easier in Windows 7/Vista but Microsoft is still screwed up in their head thinking people don't want their user data separate from their OS. God when will they get a fricken clue that it is a GOOD thing to have OS separate from USER data for backups/reinstalls/restores/etc? 20-30 years and they havent figured it out. As just one example I do this because the OS drive slowly gets bogged down with crap. I pull out my trusted backup that has most apps I use on it, install it, and boom ready to go again. If I have major installs - I load it anyway, do the installs, and save that back up. Makes life so much easier not living with Microsoft's seemingly planned obsolescence of your OS install.

Regardless, less than 100GB will do, in fact 60GB will prob do for the basic OS install and the one or two MUST have apps that need to be fast as hell on your PC. I realize it varies for each person, and this is a general example, but people can afford these great productivity improvers if they just keep their OS separate from the rest of their crap. Microsoft doesn't make this easy - thats for damn sure. It is the one major update to Windows I would pay an extra $50 for - to completely BE ABLE to separate Programs from OS from Personal Data/Settings. It means I could walk up to any trusted PC -hook up a dual SATA dock or USB 3, and start using the system with my set of programs and my set of data/settings.

Hash-82

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Fact is - most people don't realize they dont need a huge size. Put JUST the OS on it and put all the programs/etc on a 7200 RPM drive

@heartspeace
While I certainly agree user data should be separate from the system files, I disagree entirely on installing (all) programs on the data volume.

My primary reason for looking at large SSDs is directly attributable to several programs that take longer to load than my OS does.
This is on a i7 Quad with 8GB of RAM. So the hardware (less the HD) is not the issue.

Back to the user files...
That can easily be changed in the registry.

For new users:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory

Existing users:
Search for the existing user's diresctory in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-*

Move the directory structure and update the registry key.

Too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.