Cleaning off Artic Silver from a CPU

icyura10

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
I always knew someday I'd find someone in this mess... and I've finally met them. An aquantiance of mine, decided they would apply Artic Silver to thier AMD 1.3 Ghz processor. Then got scared of it, and smeared it all over the top of the CPU when they tried to clean it off. Now the top of the CPU is a mess.

Here's the question...

Do I hear recommendations about what to use to remove the Artic Silver from the top of the chip? I'm completly stumped on how or what to use to clean this off with. I'd prefer not to make more of a mess than I already have.

Much Thanks in Advance

<font color=red>It's ewe n' me against the world, n' I think ewe are gonna get creamed</font color=red> :eek:

G

Check out www.articsilver.com. They have an excellent explanation of cleaning CPUs in the description of how to properly use ASII

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Start with dry wiping, and move up to a little 'Brake Cleaner'. Any type of non-polar solvent will work.

As a last move, wipe with a little isopropyl to get the flammability down.

G

I don't want to sound rude, 'cause I'm actually in a similar situation myself where I was testing arCtic silver II on the oem hsf on my ASUS Geforce card (dropped by 3 degree under load, WOW!), but why does everyone seem to spell it as artic? Is this some american thing?