Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Verizon contract is up, Cingular for a Treo 650 or Verizon..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:15:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I cannot make up my mind. I live in NJ and have no complaints about
Verizon coverage and service. I would like a phone like the Treo 650
or MPX 220 for blue tooth and Outlook contacts sync. Email would also
be nice but not a must. Verizon seems to be lagging in phone choices
while Cingular has better choices but questional coverage areas.

From what I read the Motorola v710 is not very good at syncing
Outlook. It also needs a 'GetNowApp' for email. I don't know the
details but it sounds disappointing. I guess no one knows if/when
Verizon will carry the 650.

My other questions are charges. Does Cingular or Verizon allow any
email without a data charge? Let's say I bought a PDA phone from
Verizon do I pay additional fees for email?

The last issue is price. New subs can get a v710 for free after
rebates from Amazon or Buy.com. Since my contract is up will Verizon
match those deals?

Thanks
Gary
February 13, 2005 7:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I had some VZ service that was I think 4.95 a month that allowed me to
retrieve my email from Hotmail, and Yahoo. It also used regular
airtime min...but if you check after 9PM that really isn't a
factor...


On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:15:47 -0500, Gary Quiring <gquiring@msn.com>
wrote:

>I cannot make up my mind. I live in NJ and have no complaints about
>Verizon coverage and service. I would like a phone like the Treo 650
>or MPX 220 for blue tooth and Outlook contacts sync. Email would also
>be nice but not a must. Verizon seems to be lagging in phone choices
>while Cingular has better choices but questional coverage areas.
>
>From what I read the Motorola v710 is not very good at syncing
>Outlook. It also needs a 'GetNowApp' for email. I don't know the
>details but it sounds disappointing. I guess no one knows if/when
>Verizon will carry the 650.
>
>My other questions are charges. Does Cingular or Verizon allow any
>email without a data charge? Let's say I bought a PDA phone from
>Verizon do I pay additional fees for email?
>
>The last issue is price. New subs can get a v710 for free after
>rebates from Amazon or Buy.com. Since my contract is up will Verizon
>match those deals?
>
>Thanks
>Gary
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If you have a phone with a POP or IMAP email client on the phone, Verizon
will let you use this for the cost of minutes in most cases. The old 2G
phones connect automatically via circuit switched data (and rate plans have
that feature). Modern AC plans in my experience come provisioned for data
use that uses minutes but no additional charge. I've been reading email on
my phone and via tethered laptop without additional charge for years. First
with my 6035 palm phone (back in 2000) and currently via 7135 Palm phone via
an application called SnapperMail. If you get an email program from
GetItNow, that should also work. Note that some GetItNow programs require a
separate montly fee so you'd have to be careful there.

Anyway, it's always possible to check email from a tethered laptop for just
the cost of minutes, via circuit switched data, and in many cases 1x is
automatically provisioned as well.

See my web pages for more detailed information:
http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/index.html

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

--
Related resources
February 15, 2005 1:37:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

All the bells and whistles in the world won't help if your coverage is bad.
If you've had no problems with Verizon service and Cingular has service
problems, doesn't that just about answer your question on who to stay with?


"Gary Quiring" <gquiring@msn.com> wrote in message
news:n4gv011sfo59fgi36ngn4almrll3i5es7h@4ax.com...
>I cannot make up my mind. I live in NJ and have no complaints about
> Verizon coverage and service. I would like a phone like the Treo 650
> or MPX 220 for blue tooth and Outlook contacts sync. Email would also
> be nice but not a must. Verizon seems to be lagging in phone choices
> while Cingular has better choices but questional coverage areas.
>
> From what I read the Motorola v710 is not very good at syncing
> Outlook. It also needs a 'GetNowApp' for email. I don't know the
> details but it sounds disappointing. I guess no one knows if/when
> Verizon will carry the 650.
>
> My other questions are charges. Does Cingular or Verizon allow any
> email without a data charge? Let's say I bought a PDA phone from
> Verizon do I pay additional fees for email?
>
> The last issue is price. New subs can get a v710 for free after
> rebates from Amazon or Buy.com. Since my contract is up will Verizon
> match those deals?
>
> Thanks
> Gary
>
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:02:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> All the bells and whistles in the world won't help if your coverage is bad.
> If you've had no problems with Verizon service and Cingular has service
> problems, doesn't that just about answer your question on who to stay with?

But, if Cingular *did* have service problems, does it *still* have them?
Unless it's in the recent past, it's worth another look. Didn't I
hear that AT&T Wireless has absolutely the best coverage? Things
change, so it helps to take into account the change. I once had
"Verizon Wireless" (after being branded VZW) and the coverage was
TERRIBLE. I remember when that same area was overlaid with CDMA
coverage, the digital coverage (including voice quality) was TERRIBLE.
However, I believe that Verizon Wireless has much better coverage there
now, and I believe its CDMA system there might be better than it was
previously.

TH
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:41:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:02:04 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

>> All the bells and whistles in the world won't help if your coverage is bad.
>> If you've had no problems with Verizon service and Cingular has service
>> problems, doesn't that just about answer your question on who to stay with?
>
>But, if Cingular *did* have service problems, does it *still* have them?
> Unless it's in the recent past, it's worth another look. Didn't I
>hear that AT&T Wireless has absolutely the best coverage? Things
>change, so it helps to take into account the change. I once had
>"Verizon Wireless" (after being branded VZW) and the coverage was
>TERRIBLE. I remember when that same area was overlaid with CDMA
>coverage, the digital coverage (including voice quality) was TERRIBLE.
>However, I believe that Verizon Wireless has much better coverage there
>now, and I believe its CDMA system there might be better than it was
>previously.
>
>TH
They all have their dead spots. I had a Cingular a few years ago and the
service was ok. I just liked Verizon better for a certain area where Cingular
had issues. Once I switched to Verizon I found an area where Cingular is much
better. I think both are reasonable solutions for NJ.

But back to the topic of phones. Cingular has a much better phone selection for
my needs. My contract is up in 2 weeks and I would say I am off to Cingular.
The other key is price. Just like DirecTV you only get a good deal if you are
NOT a current customer. A new Verizon sub can get one of the phones I am
consering for free where my price they want $150. Then if you look at the deals
on Amazon or Buy.com you can really save some money.

Gary
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:14:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 2/15/05 3:41 PM, in article 2qm411pf81cuudi8t21tq8jnof03ge7hrv@4ax.com,
"Gary Quiring" <gquiring@msn.com> wrote:

> They all have their dead spots. I had a Cingular a few years ago and the
> service was ok. I just liked Verizon better for a certain area where Cingular
> had issues. Once I switched to Verizon I found an area where Cingular is much
> better. I think both are reasonable solutions for NJ.

Where in NJ? I've found that N.NJ is better than Verizon now that Cingular
roams onATT&T. S.NJ has always been great for Cingular as they are the
850Mhz carrier.

Anyway, try them out - you have 30 days with Cingular to decide. I was a
VZW customer. Then service TANKED in N.NJ (and still blows) so I went to
ATTWS. Then off to Cingular. Both were better than VZW.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:45 -0500, SneakerFreak <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>
>
>
>On 2/15/05 3:41 PM, in article 2qm411pf81cuudi8t21tq8jnof03ge7hrv@4ax.com,
>"Gary Quiring" <gquiring@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> They all have their dead spots. I had a Cingular a few years ago and the
>> service was ok. I just liked Verizon better for a certain area where Cingular
>> had issues. Once I switched to Verizon I found an area where Cingular is much
>> better. I think both are reasonable solutions for NJ.
>
>Where in NJ? I've found that N.NJ is better than Verizon now that Cingular
>roams onATT&T. S.NJ has always been great for Cingular as they are the
>850Mhz carrier.
>
>Anyway, try them out - you have 30 days with Cingular to decide. I was a
>VZW customer. Then service TANKED in N.NJ (and still blows) so I went to
>ATTWS. Then off to Cingular. Both were better than VZW.
My problem areas with Cingular were Marlboro on Rt 79 and Holmdel on Rt 35.
Marlboro was just zippo. Holmdel was just a matter of moving around a bit to
get service. That was also 4 years ago. So I assume they have more coverage
today.

I am fairly certain Cingular is where I am moving to. With the deals for new
subscribers I can get a great deal on a phone from Amazon or Buy.com.

Gary
!