Can I Overclock K63-450+ on AOpen AX59Pro???

G

I just picked up an AX59Pro and updated the BIOS to the newest. I am using PC133 SDRAM. I have the K63-450+. I am using 2.0 volts core. 100 FSB and 4.5x. When I try to up it to 5x or 5.5, or even 2x (knowing some boards interpret 2 as 6x), and even up the voltage to 2.1 when doing this I have problems. The board will power on and beep twice fast, then continue to beep forever. No video or anything. I have a Diamond Viper 550 16 meg video card. Using a Maxtor 20 gig 7200 RPM as Primary, IBM 40 gig 5400 RPM as secondary. Have a ZIPDrive 12x4x32 Burner on Secondary IDE Channel. Any suggestions? I cannot even bump up the FSB to 112. I would really love to get the max out of this chip, seeing as it has become very rare. Thanks in advance.
Mike

G

never heard of a mobile k6-3 not overclocking to at least 550MHz,
are you sure you have a K6-3+ ?

try to find out what that beep code means

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, it's the CPU, not the Motherboard, that interprets 2x as 6x, so that trick works for all motherboards, but you might not be able to get the processor to work at 600MHz. Try raising your core voltage to 2.2v, and make sure you have a good cooler, such as the FOP-32 or the VolcanoII, or at least a good sized socket 370/462 generic cooler. The Socket7 coolers for the most part suck, but the bigger coolers still fit.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first thing, lets drop the fsb a tad, say 66 or 75, set the multiplier x2.
see if it will boot.
if it does, bump up the fsb, 93 should make it 566, 95 is 570.
there is a program available that will let you change the multiplier of the k6+ series processors, do a search, if you can't find it send me a message, I'll email it to you.
you may have a problem like I did on mine. When I set it for anything higher than 550 it read odd in the BIOS, as in 600 was 200(not surprising) 570 was like 194, but it took a BIOS update to allow it to run ANYTHING over 550, it would just lock up, and do something similar to what you described.
alas, after time and BIOS updates, it runs @ 600Mhz everywhere but at my brother's house. its unstable when he uses it at 600 so he's running at 570 now.

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?