Another newbie question

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2005 12:26:31 PM

First of all thank you to everyone for good advice and discussion.
I joined EverQuest and created my first character as a dark elf necromancer.
I wonder there are too many of us in Norrath. Anyways, I am happy with her
so far (lev.5)

It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on me
"dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does it do
beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't see such
spell. Who cast it anyways?

Right now I have EQ classic, Ruins of Kunark and the scars of velious. How
is it benefiting me adding so many expansions at this early stage? I figured
I can use journal and maybe more spell choices even low level?

It is funny this is my first MMORPG, I am not good at typing in the game.
Some kind man cast me buffing spell, by the time I notes and typed thanks,
he was gone.
So let me say thanks here.
BTW, I am female player, is it mostly boys society??(Those ooc comments made
me wonder)

More about : newbie question

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:53:18 PM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote in

> First of all thank you to everyone for good advice and discussion.
> I joined EverQuest and created my first character as a dark elf
> necromancer. I wonder there are too many of us in Norrath. Anyways, I
> am happy with her so far (lev.5)
>
> It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on
> me "dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does
> it do beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't
> see such spell. Who cast it anyways?

It's a level xx Necromancer skill. Aside from levitation, it also raises
your poison resistance, and gives you enduring breath (you won't drown
under water or in a vacuum).

> Right now I have EQ classic, Ruins of Kunark and the scars of velious.
> How is it benefiting me adding so many expansions at this early stage?
> I figured I can use journal and maybe more spell choices even low
> level?

Largely the only thing you will get is some more areas to see. Of the
other expansions, only Shadows of Luclin has areas that you could do
anything in over and above the trilogy. Once you hit level 20 or so,
Lost Dungeons of Norrath will add some dungeons that you must group to
use, and the ability to purchase gear with points earned in those
dungeons. Legacy of Ykesha adds a charm slot, so you can have one more
item worn that can increase your stats. There are various other features
added with other expansions, but, you can largely get by without them for
some time, as you will not be able to play in the zones that those other
expansions add.

> It is funny this is my first MMORPG, I am not good at typing in the
> game. Some kind man cast me buffing spell, by the time I notes and
> typed thanks, he was gone.
> So let me say thanks here.
> BTW, I am female player, is it mostly boys society??(Those ooc
> comments made me wonder)

I don't have statistics, but, yes, I would guess that the population is
predominately male, including many of the female characters.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 13 Gnome Brawler, 26 Provisioner
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:57:44 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:26:31 -0600, "Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com>
wrote:

>First of all thank you to everyone for good advice and discussion.
>I joined EverQuest and created my first character as a dark elf necromancer.
>I wonder there are too many of us in Norrath. Anyways, I am happy with her
>so far (lev.5)

That was my first, too :) )

>It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on me
>"dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does it do
>beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't see such
>spell. Who cast it anyways?

High-level Necromancers do - it lets you breathe underwater and see
Invisible creatures as well as doing Levitate.

>Right now I have EQ classic, Ruins of Kunark and the scars of velious. How
>is it benefiting me adding so many expansions at this early stage? I figured
>I can use journal and maybe more spell choices even low level?

Shadows of Luclin would be handy, but see if you can get one of the
various compilation packs.

>It is funny this is my first MMORPG, I am not good at typing in the game.
>Some kind man cast me buffing spell, by the time I notes and typed thanks,
>he was gone.

I have buttons made to say things like "thanks" for just that
eventuality, heh. Check out the manual on how to do this - as you
say, it takes time to type, whereas clicking a "Thanks" button takes a
second :)

>So let me say thanks here.
>BTW, I am female player, is it mostly boys society??(Those ooc comments made
>me wonder)

Killer-betties.com (a site for female gamers) quoted a survey that
said 39% of MMORPG gamers were female now - whether actually true or
not, I couldn't say. It's usually best to not say you are a female
player, when in-game, as some sad types who never get to meet a woman
in real life tend to hang around your character a lot, after you tell
them ;)

Palindrome
February 24, 2005 7:06:06 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:57:44 +0000, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Killer-betties.com (a site for female gamers)

....should be killerbetties.com - sorry!

Palindrome
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:17:34 PM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote :

> First of all thank you to everyone for good advice and discussion.
> I joined EverQuest and created my first character as a dark elf
> necromancer.
> I wonder there are too many of us in Norrath. Anyways, I am happy
> with her
> so far (lev.5)
>
> It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a
> spell on me
> "dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What
> does it do
> beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't
> see such
> spell. Who cast it anyways?

Dead Man Floating (often shortened to DMF) is a spell cast by
necromancers, they're able to cast it starting at level 44. Besides
the levitation/floating, it allows you to "breathe" underwater so
that you will not drown, it allows you to see invisible creatures
and players, and it increases your resistance to poison. Overall,
it's a pretty handy spell in a lot of situations.

> Right now I have EQ classic, Ruins of Kunark and the scars of
> velious. How
> is it benefiting me adding so many expansions at this early stage?
> I figured
> I can use journal and maybe more spell choices even low level?

Having those expansions provides you with more level-appropriate
places to hunt as your character progresses. You don't *need*
anything beyond the original zones for quite a while, but I like
having the extra choices of where to go, it keeps me from getting
bored with the same places over and over for each alt =)

> It is funny this is my first MMORPG, I am not good at typing in
> the game.
> Some kind man cast me buffing spell, by the time I notes and typed
> thanks,
> he was gone.

A lot of people don't stick around to wait for thanks after casting
buffs, but it's always a good idea to try to thank them, as you did.
When I randomly cast buffs on people, I don't do it just to hear
them thank me, and many don't, but it sure is nice those rare times
when someone does take the time to say "thank you". "Please" and
"thank you" aren't nearly as common as they should be in MMORPGs, in
my opinion, and a lot of people really appreciate hearing them.

> So let me say thanks here.
> BTW, I am female player, is it mostly boys society??(Those ooc
> comments made
> me wonder)

There do seem to be more male players than female, although I don't
have any poll results or statistics to provide (and I'm too lazy to
go try to find any right now), but there are still a lot of female
players, myself included.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:03:10 AM

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> wrote:
] It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on me
] "dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does it do
] beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't see such
] spell. Who cast it anyways?

Was it a toon called Squirrely ?

He casts it on female toons and then sends a tell 'cute name, play
here often ?' Must be one of those desperate pickup lines...

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005

"Arcury" <yarcury@kc.rr.com> writes:
> It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on me
> "dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does it do
> beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't see such
> spell. Who cast it anyways?

Other people have replied with descriptions of that spell, so I'll
just add a couple new points:

Your book only shows spells you yourself know how to cast, so you
won't find it there.

There are few if any spells that other players can cast on you that
cause you any harm. Sure, floating *could* cause problems (someone
else mentioned not knowing how to get back down to ground level to
be able to attack things), and even a healing spell could be "bad"
if you were trying to practice your Bind Wound skill, but as for
actual harmful effects, you're mostly safe as long as you don't
accept a duel or go to an arena (where PvP is allowed even on non-
PvP servers).

There may be a few rare exceptions, such as spells that boost your
STR for a while but leave you temporarily weaker when the spell wears
off. (I don't know if that can be cast on someone outside your group.
Someone once did it within my group to help our looter run back, but
the spell wore off too soon and the looter became unable to move, and
got clobbered.)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 47 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:14:45 AM

wrote:

>First of all thank you to everyone for good advice and discussion.
>I joined EverQuest and created my first character as a dark elf necromancer.
>I wonder there are too many of us in Norrath. Anyways, I am happy with her
>so far (lev.5)
>
>It was the first time on the field last night, someone cast a spell on me
>"dead man floating" which is awful long 70minuets effect. What does it do
>beside of floating me? Any harm? I looked up my book but didn't see such
>spell. Who cast it anyways?
>
>Right now I have EQ classic, Ruins of Kunark and the scars of velious. How
>is it benefiting me adding so many expansions at this early stage? I figured
>I can use journal and maybe more spell choices even low level?
>
>It is funny this is my first MMORPG, I am not good at typing in the game.
>Some kind man cast me buffing spell, by the time I notes and typed thanks,
>he was gone.
>So let me say thanks here.
>BTW, I am female player, is it mostly boys society??(Those ooc comments made
>me wonder)

Others have answered your questions,so let me ask,why does a player
choose EQ1 nowadays as its first MMORPG,when there is a much easier
accessible game for "Newbies"?
Before you invest money in EQ expansions,I would give WoW a try,
although its more *boys* society than EQ,judging from the WoW
message boards and some very limited in game experience.
(I think WoW players are a little schizophrenic,you should see all the
"whines" from players on pvp servers getting killed :p )

Hm,the society,I would guess largely male,but boys I am not so sure,my
impression is the player base is 20+ years old.

Meldur
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:51:57 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:03:10 -0600, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
wrote:

>He casts it on female toons and then sends a tell 'cute name, play
>here often ?' Must be one of those desperate pickup lines...

Heh, yes, just the behaviour to watch out for if you are rash enough
to say you are a female player, when gaming. Actually, it's amazing
how many male players have some lovelorn idiot following them around
because their character is female :D

On a slight tangent, I have struck up some in-game friendships with EQ
players, and, after a few weeks of teaming up, some turned out to be
female gamers. According to most of them, they had never played a
male character, and thought it odd that men would play a female
character. One lady in particular was stunned when, after some weeks
of teaming up as a duo, I said something in passing that indicated I
was a man - I had assumed she knew already, having been introduced by
another female gamer who knew us both. She was dumbfounded, and
thought I was kidding her, and it took me some while to convince her.
She thought women played female characters and men played male
characters, and that was that.

Palindrome
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:37:17 AM

"Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:03:10 -0600, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
> wrote:
>
> >He casts it on female toons and then sends a tell 'cute name, play
> >here often ?' Must be one of those desperate pickup lines...
>
> Heh, yes, just the behaviour to watch out for if you are rash enough
> to say you are a female player, when gaming. Actually, it's amazing
> how many male players have some lovelorn idiot following them around
> because their character is female :D
>
> On a slight tangent, I have struck up some in-game friendships with EQ
> players, and, after a few weeks of teaming up, some turned out to be
> female gamers. According to most of them, they had never played a
> male character, and thought it odd that men would play a female
> character. One lady in particular was stunned when, after some weeks
> of teaming up as a duo, I said something in passing that indicated I
> was a man - I had assumed she knew already, having been introduced by
> another female gamer who knew us both. She was dumbfounded, and
> thought I was kidding her, and it took me some while to convince her.
> She thought women played female characters and men played male
> characters, and that was that.
>

> Palindrome

Hehehe she sure would be confused by me and my husband. I play a male
barbarian shaman and he plays a female high elf enchanter as our mains.
We mostly did it for esthetic reasons. Myself I just can't stand the female
barbarian casting it looks like they are doing aerobics or something.
Most of the guilds I have been in have had a pretty even ratio of male to
female with a lot of couples playing.
People of all ages play the game from elementary school age to senior
citizens.
The only expansion I would suggest getting would be Shadows of Luclin so you
have access to the bazaar and Paludal Caverns (refered ingame as PC) it is
the best experience for lvl 15-25 and most people spend those levels there.
It's not by any means my favourite zone but if you aren't getting anywhere
on your own and can't get a group elsewhere there is plenty to solo and
group in pc.

Sedce Frozentears
!