HELP..:\ My PC turns itself off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi,

I've got a problem with my computer turning itself off when playing MW3 and WoW, and only those two games. This is rather a recent problem. I've played both games before with the same PC, but suddenly it just turns itself off. I've replaced the PSU, reading that this could be a potential source for the computer turning itself off.

But now, after I replaced the PSU, the computer is still shutting itself down for no reason.

I can also add that it does NOT shut down as soon as I enter a game, but at random times while in-game.
I don't think this is a temperature issue. I've been monitoring my temperature while in-game, and the CPU on all cores is @ 45 - 60 degrees celcius while gaming.
The graphics card I have shows 50 degrees celcius while gaming.

I bought and assembled the computer myself in 2009. And have not done anything (hardware wise) since then. Only updated the drivers.
My hardware specs is:
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Intel X58
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @3.07GHz
Memory: Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce GTX 295 576M 1792MB PhysX
HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor® 150GB + WD Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB
Running @ Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits

Please if someone know an awnser to this, Im all open for suggestions! :)
Thanks!

korpsicle

Honorable
May 8, 2012
My guesses would have been PSU, heat, mobo or OS stability.

Seeing as though you have ruled out PSU and heat, I would suggest testing a fresh OS install.

Just replace your HDD temporarily if you have another one laying around, install Win7 & a game or two and test it out.

If that seems to do the trick, try running seatools or DFT on your main HDD and check for bad sectors. If everything is fine, fresh OS install gogo!

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the replys!!

I will double check the temps again with another program. The only thing is.. I have a hard time believing it's the temperature, because now just after I read the reply of "korpsicle", the PC shut down even when browsing on firefox and doing simple "click"tasks on my HDD's. (This happened right after I turned it on).

I downloaded Seatools, but never got the chance to test it before I reinstall Windows. Luckely I got my laptop to read your ideas! :)

I noticed now that the computer still had lights from the motherboard on, and all of my fans in my cabinet/bigtower was still on aswell (CPU, GPU, PSU and my other fans).

What does this tell you?

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Ok,
So I've done the test with SeaTools, where both of my HDD's passed. I might add that I did a new install of Windows straight after the problem occured. But it's still happening... I have installed Windows on 3 different HDD's now, and copied WoW and MW3 over..same problem.

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012

I did the temperature reading again, with no change. Used 3 different programs, all said the same temperature untill it shuts down. Neither CPU or GPU went over 55Celcius.

As a precaution I have opened my cabinet and used a Dust blower from a computer dealer, to remove "all" dust that is in between my CPU cooling rib and in my GPU (aswell as the rest of the motherboard). The temperature dropped by a couple of degrees. But same problem still....

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Hi,
Thank you for trying to help! :)
I tried out both of my other PSU's. One is a 1000W Corsair and the other is a 850W Chieftec. No difference considering my issue...

If you have checked that the temperatures are within normal operating levels, there's no reason to believe that thermal paste is not working. Alternatively see if you can check your temps through BIOS, but I doubt it will be any different.

Ok, lets try different way, does the computer shut off as in lose power or does it reboot? From the sound of it, I'd say either it drops to sleep or it does something like an incomplete shutdown.

Have you made sure that you've got the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Any clues as to when did this issue first start presenting itself? What have you changed in the PC prior to that?

Also, when the PC shuts down, does the motherboard LED give you any blinking or color codes?

What USB controller version do you have on your mobo?

I remember I had similar issue with a PC that was running USB 1.2 mobo, it would fail to power down properly leaving the mouse and lights on.

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012

The computer shuts down like its going to sleep yes, your totally right. My monitors goes black, and if I press the restart button, it has no effect. I have to hold down the power button to get it to shut completly down so I can start it back up.

I'm very sure that the BIOS is NOT updated, I've unfortunately never updated it. That was a good recomendation to do!

This problem started after I came home from work, I've been away for 2 weeks with the computer shut off during that time. Nothing has been done with either hardware nor installed new programs. The only thing I remember doing was updating Windows, the graphic card and the two games (MW3 and WoW). Oh, and I got a new external HDD from my girlfriend witch is USB 3.0 but compatible with 2.0.

When the PC shuts down, I can't see any LED lights blinking or giving me any color codes, unfortunately.

I can't give you an answer to what USB controller version I have installed, since I'm currently installing a fresh install of Windows.

I really appreciate your help so I can find this problemsource! After Windows is installed, I will update the BIOS and check the MOBO USB version.

Is anything what I wrote a possible source to my issue?

Thanks! :)

Hi

Since the PC keeps on shutting down and is unstable DO NOT upgrade BIOS

If it shuts down during BIOS update your motherboard will be toast unless there is a jumper to select backup BIOS
[ I have a old dead motherboard with dual BIOS but no jumper to force which BIOS chip is used to boot up]

If you can get a Linux BOOT CD such as Parted Magic you can find out if there is a Windows / driver problem or not.

Check carefully the 20/24 pin power cable and 12V (4 or 8 pin) plugs are fully home . Remove & re insert them.
I have seen a Server fail when one power plug was about 0.5mm out.(1/50")

How many DIMMs in the 6GB RAM 3 x 2GB or 6 x 1GB ?
reduce number of ram DIMM to 1 and see what happens (apart from running Windows slowly)

Finally if you have a spare graphics card remove the XFX GeForce GTX 295 and replace with a simpler known working graphics card.

regards
Mike Barnes

expertn

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi again!

After a long time troubleshooting my PC for errors, I finally found my problem. It was the graphics card.
On the old graphics card, something has melted on top of the unit (think it was the isolation of a power cable) and covered a little area with some GPU/motherboard like wires. All good now that I've changed the Graphics Card! :D Thank you for all your help! :)

:D :D :D

hmm, wow, good find, I would have never guessed, but, that means you were overheating at some point :p

Hopefully this will be helpful if someone has a similar issue, they'll know where to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.