Help with my Pressario 2105US Laptop

I have a Compaq Pressario 2105 US notebook computer with no add-ons.

Often times, when the computer is turned on, it freezes up with one of
2 symptoms:

1. A very faint gray Windows XP logo comes up and stays there.
The computer will hang in this state forever.
2. Or - the regular full color Windows XP logo will come up. The
animated bar at the bottom will come up and start moving left to right
where it will eventually hang in the same state as in #1.

In both of the above scenarios, turning off the computer and
re-booting will usually result in a normal boot-up after the Windows
XP problem screen comes up. It doesn't seem to matter if I select, "Go
back to the last registry configuration that worked" or "boot
normally." Either option will most likely result in a normal reboot -
but not always. Sometimes it will take 2 or three boot cycles to get a
normal boot up.

This has been happening since the first day I brought it back from the
store but the tech had me convinced that it was just a software issue
and a re-install would do the trick. It didn't. I did a hard drive
format with a clean install of XP. I added service packs 1&2.

Any thoughts as to what may cause this? How do I correct it? Your
help is appreciated.

RJ

"rj664" <fdlfh@dfdjlet> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Pressario 2105 US notebook computer with no add-ons.
>

> Often times, when the computer is turned on, it freezes up with one of
> 2 symptoms:
>
> 1. A very faint gray Windows XP logo comes up and stays there.
> The computer will hang in this state forever.
> 2. Or - the regular full color Windows XP logo will come up. The
> animated bar at the bottom will come up and start moving left to right
> where it will eventually hang in the same state as in #1.
>
> In both of the above scenarios, turning off the computer and
> re-booting will usually result in a normal boot-up after the Windows
> XP problem screen comes up. It doesn't seem to matter if I select, "Go
> back to the last registry configuration that worked" or "boot
> normally." Either option will most likely result in a normal reboot -
> but not always. Sometimes it will take 2 or three boot cycles to get a
> normal boot up.
>
> This has been happening since the first day I brought it back from the
> store but the tech had me convinced that it was just a software issue
> and a re-install would do the trick. It didn't. I did a hard drive
> format with a clean install of XP. I added service packs 1&2.
>
> Any thoughts as to what may cause this? How do I correct it? Your
> help is appreciated.
>
> RJ

This type of hang is usually attributed to hardware.

Run, from a command prompt, chkdsk /r[enter]. You will be asked to
reboot. The /r switch will repair the disk, including mapping out bad
sectors. Check also with the HD vendor for a HD health utility, run
from a floppy.

This might also be a RAM problem. Google for memtest86.exe and run the
complete diagnostics.

Have you updated drivers from Compaq support? If the reinstall was done
starting with the XP OEM restore, an early problem could still be with
the drivers.