Sign in with
Your question

Newbie needs help..

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2001 11:34:56 AM

Well, topic says what it means..

I'm pretty much a newbie to this stuff, and I'm looking for some information, mainly on how to remove the heatsink on my processor.

I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1GHz processor, which I've been wanting to overclock. Thing is, I don't have any idea how to remove the heatsink, then take the processor out of the slot.

If someone could post a small detailed tutorial on how to remove it, please do, or even better, email me at mynameisrage@msn.com

Thanks in advance,

-Rigga

More about : newbie

May 1, 2001 11:11:03 AM

There is a small metal clip that you must remove from the plastic notch on the CPU socket. You have to press down on it and then pull out. You might try a screw driver to help push down on the clip (be <i>very</i> careful). Wear static protection before working inside your PC. You can get static wrist wraps at Radio Shack or some store like it.

To remove the CPU, just lift the little lever on the side of the ZIF socket. It's called a ZIF (Zero-Insertion-Force) lever, because it removes the CPU without the use of force.

If I were you I would not even think about overclocking though, if you don't know how to remove the heatsink (no offense). Start by learning the basics, and get <i>really</i> familiar with hardware before trying the dangerous stuff, OK?

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile:
!