Memory Issue

Presario 7360:
Just bought two 128MB PC100 DIMMS from Best Buy (cheapo kind) and got
the usual 164-Memory size error on bootup; however, it is only
recognizing 196MB of RAM... I thought the 7360 was upgradeable to
512MB but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
Possible bad stick?
2 answers Last reply
More about memory issue

    I'll bet that the Presario 7360 needs low-density DIMM memory.

    Many of the computers which use PC100 or PC133 DIMMs require memory sticks with
    low-density memory chips. If the memory from Best Buy has only four memory
    chips on it, it is high density memory, most likely incompatible with your
    system. There are also 8-chip and 16-chip 128MB DIMMs. For sure the 16-chip
    ones are low-density. I'm not completely certain about the 8-chip ones.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 12 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, mawoods75@netzero.net (Mark) wrote:

    >Presario 7360:
    >Just bought two 128MB PC100 DIMMS from Best Buy (cheapo kind) and got
    >the usual 164-Memory size error on bootup; however, it is only
    >recognizing 196MB of RAM... I thought the 7360 was upgradeable to
    >512MB but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
    >Possible bad stick?

    Most 8-chip 64/128MB DIMMs are low density. It's when you jump to 256MB
    DIMMs that 16-chip DIMMs (8 on each side) indicate low density.
    > I'll bet that the Presario 7360 needs low-density DIMM memory.
    >
    > Many of the computers which use PC100 or PC133 DIMMs require memory sticks
    > with
    > low-density memory chips. If the memory from Best Buy has only four
    > memory
    > chips on it, it is high density memory, most likely incompatible with your
    > system. There are also 8-chip and 16-chip 128MB DIMMs. For sure the
    > 16-chip
    > ones are low-density. I'm not completely certain about the 8-chip ones.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 12 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, mawoods75@netzero.net (Mark) wrote:
    >
    >>Presario 7360:
    >>Just bought two 128MB PC100 DIMMS from Best Buy (cheapo kind) and got
    >>the usual 164-Memory size error on bootup; however, it is only
    >>recognizing 196MB of RAM... I thought the 7360 was upgradeable to
    >>512MB but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
    >>Possible bad stick?

Compaq Presario Memory Computers