Overclocking Asus A7M266?

G

I've recently bought the Asus A7M 266... And I was wondering how I would go around overclocking it... i've been looking for a guide on how to overclock this motherboard but I havn't been succesful in finding one. Maybe one of you guys can give me some detailed instructions in the process I would go through on overcloking this mother board, this is my first attempt at overclocking and I would like to do it correctly. I would like to reach speeds of maybe 1.5 Ghz.

System specs:

MotherBoard - Asus A7M266 AMD-760
Proccesor - AMD Thunderbird 1.33Ghz GHz(AXIA CODE)
HardDrive - DeskStar 75GXP DTLA-307030
DDR Ram - Crucial 512 megs DDR ram
Sound Card - Hercules Game Theater XP
Video Card - Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra
CD-ROM - Creative Labs 52x CD-Rom
Floppy Drive - Generic Floppy
Case - Blizzard 360 ATX Case
Monitor - Sony CPD-G400 19"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Set your voltage about .1v higher and set your bus speed to 150MHz, and it should work. If it does not, try 146MHz bus. You could change the multipliers on the chip itself, but you really don't need to. Bus speed increases offer better performance gains than multipler changes.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Actually you should go the opposite way.

Start small and increase until it becomes unstable.

Make sure everything runs fine with default settings. I have a vague memory that this mb has a problem with two SIMMS installed...

Make a note of your running tempratures, a suggestion is to install ASUS probe provided on the CD.

Run a suitable benchmark program to stress the CPU to 100% load over a time period.

Increase the FSB a notch or two to 135. Do the same thing and watch those tempratures. If it crasches try incrementing the VCORE setting. If you have sufficent cooling then there shoudn't be a problem going straight for 1.85V, you can always lower it later.

Remember to leave everything at it's default settings and just do one change at a time.

Once you've reached your maximum stable FSB you can have a go at adjusting the clock multiplier as well. This is a bit more tricky though since the mb doesn't support it...

Once this is done you can optimize your BIOS settings as well.

You could be forced to change you VIO/VIO1 voltage settings as well to reach higher FSB speeds, everything depends on how far you want to go.

There's always a trade of, so perhaps you need to lower some BIOS setting (like memory timings) to be able to have a higher FSB. Try some different settings and benchmark what gives the best results.

There's a lot of questions on what is a good temprature for the CPU. According to AMD the CPU fries above 90C, but it's probably way unstable before those tempratures. As I heard anyting below 50C is ok...

This is in now way a complete guide but it should get you started. There are plenty of guides out there on how to overclock, the theory is the same for all boards.

Good luck!

/R

AMD TBIRD 1.33
Asus A7M266
Vapochill
nVida Geoforce3
Apacer 256MB DDR266
Seagate X15

TRENDING THREADS