View W9x fax files AWD file (awdstub)

Hi!,

I read the info how to view W9x-fax files in WinXP.

I installed the "awdstub.exe" file. The fxstiff.dll is on my system (two
directories).

Opening a small AWD-file will succeed, it opens well. I can view the file.
If the file is a little bit bigger (approx >150kB), the awdstub crashes.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank
5 answers Last reply
More about view files file awdstub

    Nope. Never seen it.
    Provide more accurate steps to repro.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "FVe" <Frank.V.very.illegal@worldmail.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi!,
    >
    > I read the info how to view W9x-fax files in WinXP.
    >
    > I installed the "awdstub.exe" file. The fxstiff.dll is on my system (two
    > directories).
    >
    > Opening a small AWD-file will succeed, it opens well. I can view the file.
    > If the file is a little bit bigger (approx >150kB), the awdstub crashes.
    >
    > Any idea how to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank

    FWIW, two third party graphics applications support opening and converting
    ..AWD files:

    http://www.polyview.com
    PolyView
    http://www.pictview.com/
    PictView for Windows

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> schreef in bericht
    > Nope. Never seen it.
    > Provide more accurate steps to repro.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "FVe" <Frank.V.very.illegal@worldmail.nl> wrote in message
    > > Hi!,
    > >
    > > I read the info how to view W9x-fax files in WinXP.
    > >
    > > I installed the "awdstub.exe" file. The fxstiff.dll is on my system (two
    > > directories).
    > >
    > > Opening a small AWD-file will succeed, it opens well. I can view the
    file.
    > > If the file is a little bit bigger (approx >150kB), the awdstub crashes.
    > >
    > > Any idea how to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    Hi Russ,

    I tried again - used the awdvstub on two different WinXP machines with the
    same result.
    From the DOS-prompt or by connecting the file extension to the program - the
    results are the same.

    After the command to open the file, a box appears with the message:
    "The Fax AWD viewer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience."

    Error signature:
    Appnam: awdvstub.exe
    AppVer: 5.2.1776.0
    ModName: awdstub.exe
    Modver: 5.2.1776.0
    Offset: 00008c20

    Awdvstub is available in c:\windows\system32\

    Results vary in a lot of ways.
    Some awd's I can open: just tried one with 13 pages (multipage) without a
    problem.
    Others won't open at all. I don't see a relation when is does open or not.
    Now I just tried to open a file of just 97kB, then I get the error message.
    So some will work, some won't. I don't have a clue what causes the failure.

    The failure occurs if the command is given in the commandline, or a
    doubleclick (connected to *.awd) or whatever.

    So I hope you can do something with the result mentioned above!

    Fascinating. I've seen no other similar reports.
    I know of no documentation or support for this little utility however.
    --

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> schreef in bericht
    > FWIW, two third party graphics applications support opening and converting
    > .AWD files:
    >
    > http://www.polyview.com
    > PolyView
    > http://www.pictview.com/
    > PictView for Windows
    >
    > Hal

    Hi Hal,

    thanks for your reply.

    The programs don´t work in all cases, strange enough.
    Some files look distorted when opening, but pictview did the best job.

    But I have to convert too many files to correct them manually, or even
    worse: print and scan again.

    So if there are other options: please let me know.

    Frank

Fax Microsoft Windows XP