Your question

Temp

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2001 4:55:51 PM

I have a question relating to temperature of the cpu and motherboard. I have an asus a7v via kt133a motherboard, athlon 900, swiftech mc370a cpu cooler (heatsink/fan), ibm 60gb uata100 7200rpm hdd in a mid tower atx case.

Well, I decided to check the temp using the asus pc probe program and i was amazed when i found the cpu was upwards of 60C. This seemed way too hot so i took of the case and put one of those portable house fans up next to it and got it down to 52C (right now it is at 54C).

Anyway, I don't really like this solution. how can i cool my cpu better? i thought the swiftech was supposed to be a really good cpu cooler, it won the cpu cooling test on Toms Hardware Guide (http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001211/index.html).

Did I maybe use too much or too little thermal compound? Maybe I should use some different thermal compound ( i used whatever came with the swiftech)? I don't want to spend too much money. would a better fan in the front and one of those pci slot exhaust things help? right now i just have whatever fan was in my old computer in the front. However, i don't see how a new dan and exhaust will cool it more than a house fan on high aiming right at the motherboard. btw, the motherboard temp is currentlly at 31C.

I live in arizona so it is only going to get hotter as the summer starts, although my room is pretty cold right now since i have two fans going (ceiling fan and portable house fan as well as house air conditioner). I am open to suggestions (hopefully not too expensive suggestions, hehehe).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

More about : temp

April 29, 2001 8:03:07 PM

Wow...someone that has almost the same setup as me... :smile:

My System Specs:
Asus A7V133
IBM 75GXP Deskstar 30GB 7200RPM ATA100
T-Bird 850 running @ 800 (8.0x100)
Swiftech MC370-0A

First, try using <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">MBM5</A>.

Now, there are a lot of factors. I think one most important was the case/ambient temp. Here are the <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/store/cputempdata.htm#AMD" target="_new">tests run at Swiftech</A>. As you can see scrolling a little up, their test equipment configuration included 3x120mm Nydec fans. I'm not sure if they also used the Intel setup with the AMD setup. I've just emailed their tech support to see if they did or not. BTW, I think the Tom's Hardware Guide didn't state their complete test equipment configuration.

I've been in the process of testing different configurations:
1) No case fans
2) 1 front intake
3) 1 rear intake
4) 1 front & rear intake
5) 1 rear exhaust
6) 1 front intake & 1 rear exhaust
(Man, it's a lot of tests...)

The reason why it's like this is because I only have 2x80mm Sunon fans. They're pretty loud, but I'd rather have my components stay cool and last a long time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
So far, I've completed this:
No case fans - Running at 800MHz - a vCore of 1.7v
Idle temp after 50 minutes of web surfing, using A.I.M. & MSN Messenger came out to 46°C/34°C (cpu/motherboard)
Full temps after 30 minutes of playing Jane's F/A-18 came out to 50°C/35°C
---
1 front intake & 1 rear exhaust - Running at 800MHz - a vCore of 1.7v
Idle temp after 32 minutes of web surfing, using MSN Messenger & Winamp came out to 42°C/28°C ~ 2nd Idle temp after 2.5 hours of system being on, temps were 40°C/27°C ~ 3rd Idle temp of being on overnight for 12 hours, plus 1 hour of surfing this morning came to 43°C/28°C ~ Current idle temp after being on for a total of 18 hours, and surfing for about 30 minutes, is at 42°C/28°C. I have yet to check the full load temp...
-----------------------------------------------------------
I guess that last setup was the best one. I did two more, but for the sake of length didn't include them. I bought my two case fans from <A HREF="http://www.crazypc.com/products/fans/fans.htm" target="_new">CrazyPC.com</A>, but it'd be better if you can get 2x120mm fans that move more cfm at slower RPMs because it'd be quieter.

One more thing...I have a feeling that using Arctic Silver helps. And looking at the Swiftech instructions, there are a couple of typos. In other words, just follow the directions in #3.

Sorry it was so long, but I wanted you to understand what I did.

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2001 9:30:14 PM

Wow, thanks for all that info. I have some more questions. I have been thinking about how I can increase airflow.

First off, would round ide cables aid in increasing airflow? it is fairly packed in the case and round cables would take up far less room than the ribbon cables. Would the benefit be worth the thirty or so dollars it would cost for them?

Secondly, what is a thermoelectric peltier? I noticed it on the crazypc.com site (http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PRO...). It seems like it could fit between the swiftech and chip, but i am guessing that probablly isn't a good idea or something or i probablly would have read about it somewhere.

Thirdly, is a hard drive cooler a good purchase? I noticed my hard drive was hot when i touched it, i don't think it was abnormally hot but the way the case mounts it, it is over by the processor which probablly doesn't help cool the processor too much, maybe i'll move it to one of the drive bays and see if it has any effect.

Fourthly, do you think airflow (hence cooling) would be greatly increased if i got a 120mm fan and a filter for it (http://www.crazypc.com/products/fans/fans.htm), and drilled a hole in the side of my case (nicely done so it looks normal and what not, my friend is really handy with that type of stuff)and mounted a fan on one side for intake and on the other side for exhaust, or maybe just do one side for exaust or intake, not really sure yet. i'd like to be able to have the cover on my case and that way i'd be able to (right now i have a house fan and the cover off). i've seen some custom cases with fans on the sides, thats where i got the idea from.

Anyway, first i am going to add an exhaust and a better fan and see what my results are. Noise isn't really a factor for me since i always have a regular cieling fan running pretty high to cool my room since it is pretty hot in arizona, so that pretty much drones out the computer noise.

Well, i guess that is all the questions/ideas i have on keeping my computer cool at the moment, i am sure i will think up some more later and post them mad see if they will help or not.

Thanks again,
matt
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2001 10:30:10 PM

1) I'm not positive about the round IDE cables, because some sites have said it knocked off 2-3°C from their case temp. I saw one that said there was barely any change at all. As for now, having just built my computer, I have barely any $$$ left :frown: , so I'm gonna have to wait on that one. But, I'm sure it does increase with airflow. If I were you, I would buy a couple.

2) I have absolutely no clue what a <A HREF="http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PRO..." target="_new">thermoelectric peltier</A> is. It looks like something pretty drastic, but it all depends what the definition of drastic is to you...

3) A hard drive cooler is a good purchase if you'd like to prolong the life of it. Look around for good ones, such as one from <A HREF="http://www.thecardcooler.com/shopcart/CaseCooling/casec..." target="_new">thecardcooler.com</A>. I was thinking of getting that XTreme System Cooling Package sometime... :cool:

4) If you can do that, <b>do it!</b> Place an intake (maybe even two) with a grill for protection on your side <b>right over your CPU</b>. Since you don't mind the noise, if you have room for an intake in the bottom front of your case and and exhaust on the rear panel below your power supply (that's my setup), I think that'd be best. <i>Don't do that other part of your idea with the other side with an exhaust. It won't help much because most of the airflow is on the front side of your motherboard.</i>

Keep asking questions...it makes me feel important...LoL

April 29, 2001 10:33:41 PM

<b>Update:</b>
I've just bought another CD-ROM drive (because I just had a CD-Writer, and I wanted to be able to copy CDs quicker). My idle temp with the current setup of 1 front intake and 1 rear exhaust is now at 44°C/30°C :frown: . I'm not upset, but...actually, I am! :mad: 

April 29, 2001 11:06:16 PM

How's the testing coming? Without my AC on today it's 85 inside my apartment. I now have 2 intakes in the rear and two exhaust up front. With and Alpha PAL-6035 on the chip with stock heatsink fan, I'm running at 34C with moderate surfing. Under load I'm looking at 47C.

With the AC setup I was telling you about, direct hose from AC unit to the intake fans, I get her down to 22C at surfing usage. I'm also using a win-modem so my CPU usage is about 30-40% even while surfing. With spikes as high as 90% for some reason. But not prolonged.

As for the thermal paste question, you only want a very thin layer on it. As the paste is only to fill the microscopic irregularities in the chip, and where AMD has etched the info on the die. Too much will result in higher temps because it causes a bigger gap between cpu die and heatsink. Too little will cause burn up.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2001 4:13:04 AM

i think i may have put a little too much thermal compound on. i took off my heatsink and noticed it had caused some of the thermal compound to ooze onto the edges of the chip around the dye. how bad is it to get a little on the chip? i used a klenix and some delicate handy work to get it off the chip and i wiped off what was on the heatsink. it appeared to be a small amount evenly spread left on the cpu so i put the heatsink back on without applying any more thermal compound. now it is running a little hotter (about 2C, so its up at 56C). Thats bad, hehehe. So i am going to go and apply a little more (just a dab) thermal compound. i am going to buy some arctic silver(is that the best?) tomorrow and see if that helps. will it matter if i put a little artic silver over the compound that is already there? or is there a good way to clean the compound off before i apply arctic silver? and for future reference, when i put thermal compound on, what is the best way? a small dab in the middle and let the heatsink spread it? or is there a better way? details would be apppreciated. Thanks.
-matt
April 30, 2001 4:32:09 AM

actually I just use a piece of paper towel and some alcohol to remove the grease from the die, and the heatsink. Then take a dab and rub it into the bottom of the heatsink, wipe off with a towel (no alcohol). that fills in any little holes or grooves where the die meets the heatsink. Then take an amount the size of (according to arctic silver) a half uncooked piece of rice, and spread it like butter over the cpu die. Should be about the thickness of a piece of paper.

Also, what heatsink are you using?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2001 4:51:14 AM

I'm using the swiftech mc3700a (i beleive the heatsink is aluminum)). i just got done applying a little dab more of the thermal compound that came with the swiftech (although they recomend using arctic silver in the directions). anyway, my computer hasn't been on very long but it was at 47C but now as i start using it, it is at 51C and slowly rising. it appears to be runnign a little cooler than before. we'll see in the morning if it is running cooler.
i'm going to order some arctic silver since that seems to be the best. i'm hoping that will be good for a degree or two. i just don't understand why it is running so hot. airflow couldn't be better than it is right now. when i noticed it was running at 60C yesterday, i took off the case and have it sitting with one of those portable fans blowing right at the motherboard on high. the motherboard is running at 38C. i guess thats it ofr right now. i'll let you know what my cpus temp is at in the morning after it has been running idly all night. i'll be happy for the time being if it stays around 51C.
April 30, 2001 5:04:52 AM

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions...." target="_new">Link to Arctic Silver II Instructions</A>

Okay, more details (in no particular order):
I use q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean it off. It's okay if it gets on the ceramic (or whatever it is that's not the core). Just clean it off as best you could with the rubbing alcohol. Clean off the bottom of the heatsink as well. (And yeah, what heatsink are you using?)

Now, put like a drop on the core at a time. Spread it evenly as thin as you can using the razor at a 30° angle. If you need more, put another drop - just one drop at a time. You only need 3 at the most so it's thin.

Don't just put a dab and let the heatsink spread it. Actually, maybe YOU can test that out... :smile: I dunno. Perhaps I'll try it and tell you. I really don't know about that, though. Because all you're trying to do is fill the microscopic spaces.

And yes, clean off the old thermal gunk before you put on the good stuff.

April 30, 2001 5:20:40 AM

are you still using asus probe, or mbm now? many (including me) report greater than 10 degree over compensation of temps using asus probe.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
April 30, 2001 10:26:54 AM

I was going to mention the Bios temp problem, but couldn't remember if it was the Asus or Abit boards that are having the temp problem. I'm using Sisoft Sandra, just uped my clock to 1.43GB 142x10, just to see some benchs and stability. What do you guys think? 150x9 for 1350, or 142x10 for 1420? Could probably even to about 145x10.
April 30, 2001 12:01:04 PM

Ha, another revalation. I went and got a $6.00 clip on fan that you can buy at Wally-World and set it up behind my case, blowing cooled air into my intakes (yes in the back), which proceeded to lower my non-AC'ed cpu temp by about 5C. Forced induction comes to mind.

Just wait until I go to Home Depot and buy some dryer exhaust tubing and mount it directly to the intake grills, and the other end onto my Window AC unit. I've Jerry rigged something of the sort already and can get idle temps to 20C, havn't been able to break into the teens. But it's always good when your CPU temp is lower than your Mobo temp.

Rock on AMD, 1.5ghz + here I come.
April 30, 2001 1:47:57 PM

With regard to Asus' Probe utility reporting 'incorrect' temps:

I have an Asus A7M266 which uses a Asus AS99127F chip to monitor voltages, temperatures and fan speeds.

I have used Asus Probe V2.12.06 to display temps, voltages etc. and when I compare the results with those produced by Mother Board Monitor MBM 5.05 the temps are the same.

Could you tell me which versions you are using ?
I am wondering if Asus have fixed Probe's temp calibration problem you and many others have referred to.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2001 2:01:47 PM

I'm still using asus probe. I downloaded mbm5 but it showed the exact same results as asus probe. my cpu now is at 51C in idle (adter i reapplied the thermal comound).
April 30, 2001 2:37:12 PM

I'm using MBM 5.05 and Asus Probe 2.12.07. They are both showing the same temps...

May 1, 2001 1:08:47 AM

Forgive me if I sound dumb, but doesn't Motheboard monitor use the Asus probe for info? And if so, wouldn't they both report the wrong temp if there is a problem with the Asus probe? Just curious.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2001 1:09:24 AM

I just got one of those small clip fans and moved my hard drive to under the floppy drive (will be moving to a 5 1/2" bay as soon as i get something to mount it with). I have the fan clipped to the top of the case (cover is removed) pointing directly at the heatsink (the side of the heatsink). now my computer runs idly at 49C. my motherboard is at 35C. With the new setup, i can have my computer back in the little slot my desk has to hold it instead of pulled way out onto the floor so i could use the bigger fan. i also added one of those pci slot exhaust thingys, although i don't know how much it is doing but i don't think its hurting any :)  none of the computer stores in my area had artic silver so i am going to have to order it online. btw, what should i expect from the arctic silver? will it be good for at least a degree or two? what would the best possible scenerio yeild? currentlly i am using the thermal compound that came with the swiftech. thats it for now.
May 1, 2001 1:21:05 AM

It is down to how they bias and intepret the motherboard probes.

I personally found the following differences.

By placing a digital thermistor sensor next to the cpu die, the bios and mbm reported temps approx. 3 degrees warmer than I measured. Asus Probe gave temps 13 dgrees higher than measured - in my case.

MBM also allows you to alter the offset to calibrate temps, which Asus Probe does not.

May 1, 2001 2:45:10 AM

thanks for the tip Peteb, as always a gentleman with some class.

Funk
May 1, 2001 2:52:10 AM

just trying to help!

Of course - Asus Probe reporting higher temps does make you paranoid about higher temps. Is it better to think you are 10 degrees warmer than you are to act as a buffer?

Personally I'd like to know, and be able to have a reference to compare with other systems...

Good luck!

May 1, 2001 6:20:39 AM

So are you asking for other people's test results on their systems, so that you can show that other people have the same margin of error on their A7V133? (you are using an Asus A7V133 too, right?) I wish I could test mine, but I don't know where to get a cheap thermosistor.

I live in California. Radio Shack doesn't have one, and neither does Fry's Electronics in Burbank.

May 1, 2001 7:52:02 AM

Sorry,

Yes - I use A7V133.

No - I'm not too worried about others. :o )

I was saying Id like to know my actual temperature, rther than a buffer figure Asus Probe decided to give me (if that's what it does).

The thermistor is literally a display and battery on the end of 18" of cable. A lot of internet PC stores carry them for $10-$20.

Pete.

May 1, 2001 3:08:52 PM

Oops...I misunderstood...LoL

I think I will buy one. Can you tell me which one you bought and where?

!